Cratch cover lacing kooks

Featured Posts

I've lost a couple of lacing hooks/fixings that secure the cratch cover.

I've sourced where to buy these from that match the existing ones, i.e. https://www.boatfittings.co.uk/p/lacing_hook_316_stainless_steel_heavy_duty_for_securing_cords_sail_covers_etc?gclid=Cj0KCQjwu-KiBhCsARIsAPztUF3PATW-56TI_rFPCIErqOq0lEH1G5eFtUo85Py2Tqi0pBsRD3foeHIaAmvdEALw_wcB#flash-msg

However, I'm not sure how these have been fixed (see photo) or how to fix these to the boat. What is the best way to re-fix these lacing hooks through the existing holes?

20230409_114320.jpg

Yes - pop rivets.  You need to use 'blind' ones if you drill those out and replace them.  Blind rivets are sealed at the end, ordinary pop rivets have a hole all the way through so could allow water to seep through over time.  Alternatively you could drill those out and tap the holes to use small machine screws or similar.

4 minutes ago, Bob Chamberlain said:

Alternatively you could drill those out and tap the holes to use small machine screws or similar.

That's what I'd recommend if the previous rivets have failed.

Or just hook on more gently! 😁

Talking of Pot menders. Years ago I had a customer that had been a Coastal Command Short Sunderland flying boat Captain during WW2, based on Shannon, Ireland. He had a Co pilot, a couple of gunners and a general purpose chap who'd drop depth charges, sonar stuff and bombs and such like. He also carried a pot mending kit with much pride. With this he would be ready and steady if the plane had been shot at by enemy aircraft, if it had he would go down through a hatch into the hull and check for bullet holes and mend em with his Pot Menders before the plane alighted back on the water at base or at sea if they were on a rescue mission. Otherwise they might have sunk and I might have lost a customer. :)

Edited by bizzard
  • Greenie 1