Llangollen possibly

Featured Posts

We came down the locks at Stone following a very nice couple in Little Foxes. It felt a bit like boating a through a rain forest at times.IMG_20230523_145640.jpg.8e70a0753864d0c5049f47503d987abd.jpg

We stopped at Stone for coffee and cakes at Bod's in the High Street, a bit up Market and so not cheap but going. Actually  I had their sausage roll which was a meal in its own right.

Just outside we met the crew of Little Foxes again and had a long chat. 

On the move once more having come diwn Aston lock.IMG_20230523_145704.jpg.b466197c995f05d2e0771da413cb4c20.jpg

Cheers Graham 

• Greenie 1

7 hours ago, Graham and Jo said:

No wide boats but I wouldn't mind a few less narrow boats moored so close to the bollards for the lock that I can't fit Dotterel between them and the bridge. IMG_20230523_103814.jpg.11ec51fe2cbb9cd88bcbdca2a53b8677.jpg

Cheers Graham 

In that situation it maybe easiest to drop crew off and hover in the bridge hole or even get off and hold with the centreline in the middle of the bridge hole. Thats provided no one is coming up. Hover by the further moored boat if there is. 

Edited by Stroudwater1

18 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

Just put the bows in to the top gate and work the lock.

Yes that is exactly what I did, my point is that should someone else be coming the other way I would need to hang around in the weeds on a narrow section of canal because some bozzo is inconsiderate and moors in a stupid place. I would prefer people use some common sense rather that rely on the rest of us to sort it out.

Cheers Graham 

We aee now moored just south of Great Haywood Junction. We have been following  a hire boat crewed by an elderly  gentleman and his wife. Clearly he is the only active crew member so is really single handing. We arrived at one lock where someone  was helping him. The first clue was the sound of rushing water as I approached the lock. All paddles were open top and bottom. I shut the top ones and moved to the bottom to meet two very embarrassed boaters who had assumed the skipper has shut the top paddles. 

Cheers Graham 

17 minutes ago, Graham and Jo said:

Yes that is exactly what I did, my point is that should someone else be coming the other way I would need to hang around in the weeds on a narrow section of canal because some bozzo is inconsiderate and moors in a stupid place. I would prefer people use some common sense rather that rely on the rest of us to sort it out.

Cheers Graham 

We aee now moored just south of Great Haywood Junction. We have been following  a hire boat crewed by an elderly  gentleman and his wife. Clearly he is the only active crew member so is really single handing. We arrived at one lock where someone  was helping him. The first clue was the sound of rushing water as I approached the lock. All paddles were open top and bottom. I shut the top ones and moved to the bottom to meet two very embarrassed boaters who had assumed the skipper has shut the top paddles. 

Cheers Graham 

The daft thing at those locks is the mooring below the lock you are in is probably better than where they have moored.  Consideration of the impact on other boaters doesn't seem to be a thing anymore.

• Greenie 1

9 hours ago, Graham and Jo said:

I wouldn't mind a few less narrow boats moored so close to the bollards for the lock that I can't fit Dotterel between them and the bridge. 

I find it entertaining to breast up to them while working the lock.

When they complain - which they always do if they're onboard - I just shrug and point out I can't use the lock landing because they're moored on it.

• Greenie 3

1 hour ago, TheBiscuits said:

I find it entertaining to breast up to them while working the lock.

When they complain - which they always do if they're onboard - I just shrug and point out I can't use the lock landing because they're moored on it.

I like it! Cheers Graham 

Today hasn't  started well. We have lost a small pig in the lounge. Apparently  it is used to play pass the pig. A game of such fiendish complexity there are only 3 known players in the UK

I did an archaeological dig behind the sofa and discovered a fossilised pear stalk believed to date from 2010. I know this because I have discussed it on my group 'Archaeological digs on narrow boats'. The consensus is 2010 with some dissenting voices. It has made a difference to my book on the subject which is now sold out at most book shops.

Then my glasses have a loose screw and I don't have the right screwdriver. I had a plan involving 3 corks, 2 safety pins and a girl guide but only had one safety pin. 

Never mind,  I had better start the boat I  guess.  

Cheers Graham 

2 hours ago, Graham and Jo said:

Today hasn't  started well. We have lost a small pig in the lounge. Apparently  it is used to play pass the pig. A game of such fiendish complexity there are only 3 known players in the UK.

Spare pigs can be bought in pairs from the manufacturer, for almost the same money as the game itself. More if you factor in USD to GBP and the resulting shipping cost over the pond. The UK site does not seem to offer spares.

Or did you recover the awol swine?

1 minute ago, Hudds Lad said:

Spare pigs can be bought in pairs from the manufacturer, for almost the same money as the game itself. More if you factor in USD to GBP and the resulting shipping cost over the pond. The UK site does not seem to offer spares.

Or did you recover the awol swine?

Thank you that has made a big difference to my day. I can now calm down and stop passing moored boats at full throttle. Unfortunately the pig is still missing. 

Cheers Graham 

10 minutes ago, Graham and Jo said:

Thank you that has made a big difference to my day. I can now calm down and stop passing moored boats at full throttle. Unfortunately the pig is still missing. 

Cheers Graham 

At least you can rest safe in the knowledge you'll always have bacon onboard. Somewhere. :D 

• Greenie 1

We've got  the Pass the Pigs game somewhere, but it must be around 20 years since it was last used. Good for keeping thd kids occupied when waiting around on holiday trips, small enough to be put in a handbag, and good fun.  We never encounted the combination that was un-natural for pigs and resulted in disqualification of the unfortunate player!

Edited by Ronaldo47
typos
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, gatekrash said:

I reckon he's jumped ship whilst up the Llangollen...PXL_20230524_161044433_copy_768x1020.jpg.dcd7e582f28b6d2176dc06d4b5dc6044.jpg

Nooo, where are you, when can I turn round. Need more diesel. Loos! Agghh it's too much give him a good home.

Cheers Graham 

We are now moored near Hopwas on the Birmingham and Fazeley canal. It has been uneventful except when our chef ran us aground. Still we don't employ him for his driving skills. Tonight's meal was an exceptionally fine Italian master piece.

Tonight's mooring.IMG_20230524_190231.jpg.3eaefe52065e2b4d704b0e794f48e6be.jpg

Armitage tunnel 

IMG_20230524_190321.jpg.a63c0b3dfb6f356a210333cf04f73c84.jpg

Colwich lock IMG_20230524_190402.jpg.8dec8dd78faa57a1b51946f77a982034.jpg

Cheers Graham 

10 hours ago, Graham and Jo said:

Today hasn't  started well. We have lost a small pig in the lounge. Apparently  it is used to play pass the pig. A game of such fiendish complexity there are only 3 known players in the UK

We love pass the pig, and so do our grandkids when they come to visit.

Looks like you are going to have to use the CWDF delivery logistics service to get pig back. You never know, it may come with a packet of noodles that still hasnt found its rightful owner.

15 hours ago, matty40s said:

We love pass the pig, and so do our grandkids when they come to visit.

Looks like you are going to have to use the CWDF delivery logistics service to get pig back. You never know, it may come with a packet of noodles that still hasnt found its rightful owner.

I have a suspicion that the pig in the photo is an imposter! 

Back on familiar water now just waiting  to enter Glascote Bottom lock.

Cheers Graham 

We are now moored just north of Nuneaton. It is about 10.5 hours from here to Calcutt so we should get home tomorrow.  Good job as the crew are threatening mutiny.  I can't see why, I thought they enjoyed the long hours and  merciless beatings. 

Today has been uneventful so here are some pictures.

IMG_20230525_185854.jpg.de4df910f7729c2c2822789fa02afbb8.jpg

IMG_20230525_185740.jpg.6ced49ae0b1bda4fd2b7cb64f82e0e16.jpg

IMG_20230525_185414.jpg.cee9c2d728bb1aee31cebd71340ba375.jpg

Cheers Graham 

Edited by Graham and Jo
Typo

We're half way down the Shroppie now, broke the back of Audlem yesterday (it was heaving there, the festival is this weekend and boats have been arriving for a week or so, all the 48hr moorings are full of traders, fortunately we weren't looking to stop until above lock 3!). Through Adderley and Tyrley today and stopped short of the Anchor due to a similar impending mutiny if we went on the extra half hour it would have taken to get there.

Now trying to work out whether to go back via the BCN or the S&W. If we go via Brum we will look out for the challenge boats and undertake some heckling. Would have loved to have done it but we really weren't sure whether we'd have got back from the Llangollen in time, as it happens we would have had time to get down to Autherley just in time for the start. Never mind !

13 minutes ago, gatekrash said:

We're half way down the Shroppie now, broke the back of Audlem yesterday (it was heaving there, the festival is this weekend and boats have been arriving for a week or so, all the 48hr moorings are full of traders, fortunately we weren't looking to stop until above lock 3!). Through Adderley and Tyrley today and stopped short of the Anchor due to a similar impending mutiny if we went on the extra half hour it would have taken to get there.

Now trying to work out whether to go back via the BCN or the S&W. If we go via Brum we will look out for the challenge boats and undertake some heckling. Would have loved to have done it but we really weren't sure whether we'd have got back from the Llangollen in time, as it happens we would have had time to get down to Autherley just in time for the start. Never mind !

You can always submit a late entry form for the BCN Challenge.

26 minutes ago, gatekrash said:

Go on, go for the challenge you know you want to. We managed to avoid another festival in Stone. Cheers Graham 

16 hours ago, Graham and Jo said:

We are now moored just north of Nuneaton. It is about 10.5 hours from here to Calcutt so we should get home tomorrow.  Good job as the crew are threatening mutiny.  I can't see why, I thought they enjoyed the long hours and  merciless beatings. 

Today has been uneventful so here are some pictures.

IMG_20230525_185854.jpg.de4df910f7729c2c2822789fa02afbb8.jpg

IMG_20230525_185740.jpg.6ced49ae0b1bda4fd2b7cb64f82e0e16.jpg

IMG_20230525_185414.jpg.cee9c2d728bb1aee31cebd71340ba375.jpg

Cheers Graham 

You must have passed my mooring yesterday. I looked out for you but didn't see you, so it must have been whilst I as dropping my father off at East Midlands airport.

4 hours ago, cuthound said:

You must have passed my mooring yesterday. I looked out for you but didn't see you, so it must have been whilst I as dropping my father off at East Midlands airport.

That's a shame,  I like meeting people. Cheers Graham 

• Greenie 1