Llangollen possibly

Featured Posts

We're on the way there as well, left Droitwich on Thursday, in Brum on Friday afternoon (dead quiet there, only 1 in oozells and 3 of us on the brindley place moorings), left this morning for a long day before it rains tomorrow. Waved at @Goliathas we passed in Factory and now sat at Brewood. Might stay here tomorrow looking at the forecast!

You did alright then 👍

I made Cambrian Wharf for 2pm

now at Brindley Place

only one here

I do like it, there’s very little footfall past the boat 

20 minutes ago, Graham and Jo said:

Dotterel has left Calcutt heading towards Brum with Llangollen as our intended destination. Currently  moored beneath Stockton locks and hoping tomorrow's weather forecast is wrong

I’ll keep eye out for you 👍

14 minutes ago, Goliath said:

You did alright then 👍

I made Cambrian Wharf for 2pm

now at Brindley Place

only one here

I do like it, there’s very little footfall past the boat

It was even quiet past the boat there on Friday and Saturday night, I'm always amazed that in a city as big as Brum it is so dead by half ten at night!

The Mrs did comment half way down the Wolverhampton flight that she could have done with one of the ice creams you were advertising 😁

Edited by gatekrash

1 minute ago, gatekrash said:

It was even quiet past the boat there on Friday and Saturday night, I'm always amazed that in a city as big as Brum it is so dead by half ten at night!

Yes, it’s an odd one how quite it is,

but Ive never moored overnight at Gas Street mind , I expect that’s noisy til early hours 🤷‍♀️

8 hours ago, matty40s said:

At least you should have a decent heating system if you need it. 😉

I am aiming at a 7am cruise back home to beat the rain.

The heating system is excellent. I must remember to thank the guys who installed it. 

Cheers Graham 

We completed the descent into Leamington this morning without meeting any boats. The staircase at Bascote has deteriorated significantly compared to last time we passed as the off side middle gate requires two Olympic weight lifters to move it. 

We set off fron Leamington and squeezed past the new block of flats. On past the Cape hard on port tack, fortunately we only lost one crew member overboard. The heavens opened at Hatton Bottom lock so we chickened out and demonstrated my superb reversing skills. Now moored for the night.IMG_20230508_182007.jpg.829920a2da7ba35cc476a56de9da550e.jpg

We are ahead of schedule so that is fine.

Cheers Graham 

• Happy 1
  • Horror 1

20 hours ago, Goliath said:

Yes, it’s an odd one how quite it is,

but Ive never moored overnight at Gas Street mind , I expect that’s noisy til early hours 🤷‍♀️

We moored in the basin opposite the Canal House a week or so ago. Very quiet although we did have a few borders taking photos in the evenings.  Pubs not open late so not disturbed at night. Currently moored at Frankton waiting for our first visit to the Montgomery in the morning.  Passed Bearwood Boster this morning on dog walk!

2 hours ago, MrsM said:

We moored in the basin opposite the Canal House a week or so ago. Very quiet although we did have a few borders taking photos in the evenings.  Pubs not open late so not disturbed at night. Currently moored at Frankton waiting for our first visit to the Montgomery in the morning.  Passed Bearwood Boster this morning on dog walk!

We last saw you at Alrewas !

We now live in Ellesmere but our boat lives at Overwater.We thought it was about time we 'did' our home canal.Heading slowly back to Audlem before we're off again mid June.

• Love 1

We're sat in Audlem now at the Fly, which is definitely open. 6 real ales on and apparently the food has a good reputation under the new owners so we will see shortly. So far the beer is good.

Edited by gatekrash
6 ales not 4... Looks like a good evening....!
  • Greenie 1

We have come up Hatton and Lapworth locks. We followed a couple up Lapworth. Their boat is called Lockdown because that's when they bought it. We helped them up the locks and it was all very pleasant except for the heavy rain for the last 10. Anyway they were a delight to work with. 

We moored up after the top lock to get dry and sit out the rain. We got going again and passed  Lockdown. Much waving occurred and they flagged us down to give us a very nice bottle of red wine. What nice people. 

Cheers Graham IMG_20230509_210100.jpg.d89e0d3a41c875d91af353dba5d4f8f3.jpg

• Greenie 2

We have arrived in Brum and are moored in Oozells Street Loop. It was a fairly pleasant cruise but we did have some heavy rain. We also picked up enough rubbish to stop the engine at the water point at Bridge 5 on the Stratford canal. Early start tomorrow heading out via Wolverhampton.

Cheers Graham 

IMG_20230510_165427.jpg

IMG_20230510_165124.jpg

Edited by Graham and Jo
Typo

15 minutes ago, Graham and Jo said:

We have arrived in Brum and are moored in Oozells Street Loop. It was a fairly pleasant cruise but we did have some heavy rain. We also picked up enough rubbish to stop the engine at the water point at Bridge 5 on the Stratford canal. Early start tomorrow heading out via Wolverhampton.

Cheers Graham 

IMG_20230510_165427.jpg

I assume you picked up the cloth, not the rope which seems to be yours... 😉

21 minutes ago, Graham and Jo said:

Cheers Graham 

IMG_20230510_165427.jpg

IMG_20230510_165124.jpg

Ha!

You’re in the very spot I vacated this morning. 
Enjoy. 

We left the centre of Brum at 7.00 am and headed straight down the new main line. As soon as we got to Wolverhampton locks it  started raining. IMG_20230511_180113.jpg.3bc60d87bc5d68bb1022b3b7e8dc15dc.jpg

We met some nice people, one taking their new boat home and another heading for the BCN explorer cruise. 

We are now moored at Wheaton Aston visitor moorings. 

Another early start tomorrow as we want to go shopping in Market Drayton. 

Cheers Graham 

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Goliath said:

That’s good going

tomorrow you’ll be too early to drop in the Anchor?

🤣

what’s the price of diesel at Wheaton Aston?

It was a good day despite  getting soaked in Wolverhampton locks. Should I believe the price of diesel here? If you blow it up it says 85.9.

We will pass the Anchor at about 11am tomorrow I think. 

Cheers Graham 

IMG_20230511_194751.jpg.15fa71d3eadaa67842a66a8fe692d945.jpg

Edited by Graham and Jo
Missed a bit out

Yes, do believe it, it may even be cheaper!

They’re known to be one of the cheapest.

If they’re open when you leave it’d be wise to take advantage.

Good prices for coal and gas.

And he’s a dead nice bloke too which makes it even better. 

You get to fill up yourself 

Edited by Goliath

32 minutes ago, Goliath said:

Yes, do believe it, it may even be cheaper!

They’re known to be one of the cheapest.

If they’re open when you leave it’d be wise to take advantage.

Good prices for coal and gas.

And he’s a dead nice bloke too which makes it even better. 

You get to fill up yourself 

Wow, we are moving at 7am unfortunately but next time I am this way I will plan it better. 

Cheers Graham 

We're now at Prees as the Mrs wanted to visit the nature reserve. No queue to speak of at Grindley, just one boat going up with us and a couple in the bottom locks below the staircase.

Turners put his price down a couple of pence since we went past earlier this week !

Chirk for us tonight hopefully.

PXL_20230511_192328100.MP_copy_1024x771.jpg.42948b0422d97cb3ea4f9190912fc187.jpg

Apologies to gatekrash for waking them up yesterday morning.

We had an urgent need of a pump out before dashing off to Liverpool, Eurovisia.

(Our money is on Mr Finland)

We're currently moored at Wrenbury Heath. This first part of the Llangollen is much underated. People seen intent on dashing through to the other end.

There are lots of moorings, and not much towpath traffic. It's all beautifiully quiet.

And while we were getting pumped out we witnessed a fine example of girliebutton steering from the boat that followed 'Katie Isobel' through the lift bridge.