Route help please

Markblox

Featured Posts

2 hours ago, David Mack said:

You are right, and I may have been getting confused with Tamworth regarding the layout. But it was definitely Nuneaton where we got turfed off the train. Must have been the Eastern island platform we went to which is served by the lines which cross over the WCML North of the station and used by the Birmingham -Leicester trains.

An island platform that’s set at a higher level to all the other platforms then, and on a considerable gradient.

Your description made perfect sense to me, someone very familiar with Nuneaton station both before and after those platforms were constructed.

3 hours ago, magpie patrick said:

I'm now fascinated with this route - it appears to be the lowest cross country route and certainly the lowest across the central watershed of England. I think the Staffs and Worcs Summit is only around 340 feet above sea level and all other options for a "corner to corner" route get quite a bit higher

We seem to have missed lowest canal off the list of canal extremities the other week.

Thanks for all the comments, food for thought but I reckon this looks good:  

Up the Severn to Stouport  > Staffs & Worcs to Great Hayward > Trent & Mersey to Shardlow > River Trent to Keadby > Stainsforth & Keadby to New Cut > Aire & Calder to Kellingly > River Aire to Selby > York 

Alternatively if you are feeling brave and are experienced with crew River Trent to Trent Falls > Yorkshire Ouse to York.

I can think about the falls when we get nearer.  Went down the Severn to Bristol last year and under tower bridge on the Thames.  Don't know jack about the falls so will have do some research on that.

28 minutes ago, Markblox said:

Up the Severn to Stouport  > Staffs & Worcs to Great Hayward > Trent & Mersey to Shardlow > River Trent to Keadby > Stainsforth & Keadby to New Cut > Aire & Calder to Kellingly > River Aire to Selby > York 

Alternatively if you are feeling brave and are experienced with crew River Trent to Trent Falls > Yorkshire Ouse to York.

I can think about the falls when we get nearer.  Went down the Severn to Bristol last year and under tower bridge on the Thames.  Don't know jack about the falls so will have do some research on that.

This guy managed it in his steel narrowboat in 1911 .....................

Niagara Falls barrel jumps in pictures, 1901-1985 - Old Pictures

Earlier (in 1901) this was the 1st attempt in a wooden boat.

Go over Niagara Falls in a barrel Meet the daredevil who did it first

There is a monument standing as a silent reminder to those countless voices that rejected Annie Edson Taylor on the bright October day in 1901: “First to Go Over the Trent Falls in a Barrel and Live.”

Edited by Alan de Enfield

20 hours ago, Markblox said:

Trent Falls can be a bit windy but when I went from Torksey to York there was quite a swell and white horses caused by wind over tide on the Ouse which made it interesting. I have just crossed the Wash and would say both are exciting and doable in the right conditions, but not for the faint hearted.

Edited by Midnight

On 03/05/2023 at 11:22, howardang said:

No of course it doesn't but quite right, of course, to point that out.  I was kind of assuming that the OP would be aware of the places he might wish to avoid  and therefore define a route avoiding them when using the ap.😊

Howard

I was reliably informed by Nick that if an overnight is somewhere that has a really poor mooring rating then canalplan will, somewhere in the route details (possibly the itinerary ) , tell you to stop early or push on a little bit.   It also wont put overnights on things like Tidal rivers or in the middle of lock flights.