New sailaway cranage charges

Featured Posts

After buying a sailaway narrowboat through a broker and having it delivered to their yard, that they arranged and I paid for, does it sound right to you that the broker charge for the boat to be lifted off the truck and into their yard onto a hard standing.  I was not told that I would be charged They've sent me an invoice for the hard standing that was agreed to, but they've included in the invoice a charge for the boat to be lifted off the truck into their yard.

Edited by karanight

• karanight changed the title to New sailaway cranage charges

I  think it all depends upon what the contract you signed when you bought the boat says or the contract when you agreed to rent the hard standing. I trust you do have written contracts for both, although they may all be in one contract.

There should be a list of what you are paying for on the invoice.

If the lifting is not included in the list then it will be an extra charge.

It could seem a bit scammy but

I can't think of any boatyards that don't charge for craning onto or off a trailer.

I don't think you've been scammed, and it's still going to be a lot cheaper than leaving it on the trailer and parking that on the hardstanding!

• Haha 1

Just now, TheBiscuits said:

I can't think of any boatyards that don't charge for craning onto or off a trailer.

I don't think you've been scammed, and it's still going to be a lot cheaper than leaving it on the trailer and parking that on the hardstanding!

The question is has she paid for the craining when she bought the boat as part of the price. I suspect not, but you never know. If not, I would hope the contract would say the price was ex works and crainage at the receiving end extra.

I never actually signed a contract and initially I was under the impression that delivery was included because no mention of it was made before I'd paid the £10,000 deposit, and even then there was no mention of the craning 

1 minute ago, karanight said:

I never actually signed a contract and initially I was under the impression that delivery was included because no mention of it was made before I'd paid the £10,000 deposit, and even then there was no mention of the craning 

In that case I am sorry, you live and learn. If you took the legal route it would boil down to the seller saying they told you and you saying they did not, and without witnesses to confirm it one way or the other, I doubt any acation would succeed. Especially as custom and practice seems to be that the purchaser pays for craining off the transport and often for the transport itself.

3 minutes ago, karanight said:

Being "under the impression" is not going to help you! How come you have spent £000s on a boat without a written contract? That leaves you very vulnerable if anything is in dispute.

If craning off the trailer was not specifically included as part of the price you paid then it is almost certainly not included.

Well whether paling into insignificance or not every pound counts. If no mention of cranage was made and it's not in any written contract then it really should have been and perhaps you need to go over whatever contract you do have for anything else that may or may not have been mentioned.

Before getting into any sort of dispute about the cranage fee with the broker it might be a good idea to see if you can do a deal. Explain that there's been a misunderstanding as you expected delivery (including cranage) to hard standing to be included in the price you paid and the contract should have been clearer on that point - perhaps offer to split that cost with the broker?

Edited by blackrose
  • Greenie 1

7 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

My thoughts exactly. The natural units are thousands of squid, not hundreds.

Yes. And to rub salt, the OP is gonna have to pay another (presumably also unexpected) cranage charge to put it in the water once ready for launch.

Edited by MtB

24 minutes ago, MtB said:

Yes. And to rub salt, the OP is gonna have to pay another (presumably also unexpected) cranage charge to put it in the water once ready for launch.

Yep. This is the first stage of the learning curve and why we all know what B>O>A>T stands for.

I think it's just naivety on behalf of the OP, used to dealing with standard retailing practices but not understanding commercial busines practices. 

One has to agree every little detail, even if it not offered by the vendor, otherwise you 

may get a highly detailed invoice at the end of the day, with VAT, added to pay the Chancellor his cut. 

Everything has a cost, and the purchaser has to pay.

Edited by LadyG

1 hour ago, MtB said:

Also, quibbling about a cranage charge of probably £250 to £500 suggests a degree of naïvity about the coming onslaught of expenses of fitting the thing out, and of licencing/insuring/using/fuelling/maintaining it once in use. 

This cranage charge will pale into insignificance, I'd suggest.

I hear what you're saying and I know that the expense is daft, but I just thought I should have been told at the outset 
In comparison to what I've spent it is a small amount but if you went into a retail shop and something cost £489 and they added the extra £1 to make it £490 would you pay it or would you query it. I would query it

37 minutes ago, karanight said:

I hear what you're saying and I know that the expense is daft, but I just thought I should have been told at the outset 
In comparison to what I've spent it is a small amount but if you went into a retail shop and something cost £489 and they added the extra £1 to make it £490 would you pay it or would you query it. I would query it

True, but you haven't gone into a retail shop and bought something that can be handed to you over the counter. You bought a 15 tonne boat and handling it/moving it around for you is obviously not going to be free.

Well I don't think the OP is expecting anything to be free. She's talking about what's expected to be included in what she's paying for.

And as we've all said, that depends on what was agreed (or not in this case). It sounds like the OPs sailaway cost included delivery under the agreed payments, it just wasn't craned off the lorry as part of that.

My sailaway was delivered and craned in without any additional payments. That was 18 years ago. I might be wrong but from memory I can't recall reading anything in the terms and conditions about cranage into the water being included, so I guess the same thing could easily have happened to me and like the OP I wouldn't have been happy. One assumes delivery means delivery to the water or land, but this broker could just add easily argue that it doesn't.

I think I'd be asking to see the relevant terms and conditions in the contract that the broker is basing this additional charge on. I'd just be pointing out that perhaps in the context of the tens of thousands of pounds being paid to the broker for the boat & delivery, the additional charge for cranage is a bit unreasonable. You can only ask - without becoming confrontational.

• Greenie 1

Let's hope it floats when it eventually does go in the water - maybe its just me, but if I were buying a new boat I'd not be paying until it was in the water, which is what we did when we did buy a new boat! (And the first person onboard was the builder to make sure there were no leaks)

41 minutes ago, Mike Tee said:

Let's hope it floats when it eventually does go in the water - maybe its just me, but if I were buying a new boat I'd not be paying until it was in the water, which is what we did when we did buy a new boat! (And the first person onboard was the builder to make sure there were no leaks)

Yes, fairly standard practice when launching any boat, as that will be the only time the kit is available to retrieve the vessel pdq.

Edited by LadyG

Is it normal to use a broker when buying a new boat? 

I'd have thought one would be dealing with the fabricator/shell builder. 

Why do you need a broker for this? 

I wonder if there some confused language here. 

2 minutes ago, magnetman said:

I wondered about that, it could also be an agent acting on behalf of builder, we don't really know. Strange too, that no contract has been agreed and signed.

2 hours ago, magnetman said:

I have to agree, this is a very good point. 

If the OP really did use a broker to buy a brand new sailaway they probably already paid an hefty profit margin to the broker on top of the sailaway build price.

So not fleecing them for a crane charge could perhaps be seen as just silly from the broker's point of view. 

I think you are on a learning curve. It's a bit like when you have a car serviced. These days they quote a price and then add on consumables, PPE and even environmental disposal charges. 

I think all charges should have been explained to you in a perfect world. Last time we had our boat painted shed hire was an unexpected charge. Personally, I felt it should have been included in the quote received so it was a bit of a surprise when it was split out from the rest of the bill.