No go areas

Heartland

Featured Posts

The Becket Park moorings are run by the local council. It was enforced to start with, not long afterwards council staff were offered free swining lessons by some of the overstayers. Council staff now refuse to do enforcement on the moorings and local police are not interested

northampton moorings.jpg

Edited by nbfiresprite

15 hours ago, nbfiresprite said:

The Becket Park moorings are run by the local council. It was enforced to start with, not long afterwards council staff were offered free swining lessons by some of the overstayers. Council staff now refuse to do enforcement on the moorings and local police are not interested

northampton moorings.jpg

Is the prospect of boatowners throwing pipes and manholes into the river really a large enough problem to warrant a notice?

15 hours ago, nbfiresprite said:

northampton moorings.jpg

The last rule is to prevent boaters doing something that is perfectly fine and splendid if you are a water company.

• Greenie 2

I thought the Nene was one of the rivers where discharge from boats is allowed. Also the Great Ouse. 

The council can only enforce these if they have a byelaw or a PSPO.

17 hours ago, nbfiresprite said:

council staff were offered free swining lessons....

Is it a popular area for pig farming?

1 hour ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

The last rule is to prevent boaters doing something that is perfectly fine and splendid if you are a water company.

Are the water companies throwing pipes and manholes into the rivers as well?

'Sewerage' is the term for the pipes, manholes and other infrastructure that convey waste water from houses, businesses and other premises to the treatment works. If the sewerage didn't run through (or under) the streets then the sewage most certainly would!

16 minutes ago, magnetman said:

Lechlade is a no go area due to aggressive cows. 

The youth of today ! I suppose things moove on in the world but it is shocking to see asbo cattle. 

Much care needed. 

The bovine uprising. It begins....

42 minutes ago, magnetman said:

I thought the Nene was one of the rivers where discharge from boats is allowed. Also the Great Ouse. 

It does say while using their moorings, not while cruising or moored elsewhere, I suppose any mooring owner can stipulate what you can do while using their mooring even if it isnt against the law.

47 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

It does say while using their moorings, not while cruising or moored elsewhere, I suppose any mooring owner can stipulate what you can do while using their mooring even if it isnt against the law.

If it was a private land owner then yes but if it is council they do actually need a legal framework which specifically forbids certain activities otherwise these things are unenforceable. 

I haven't checked but suspect that none of the th

ings on the sign are in fact enforceable under any byelaws or PSPO. 

They do quote the 2014 act but I'm pretty sure they need to apply for and get a PSPO in order to use this Act as they want to. 

The powers which councils do or do not have with regard to controlling moorings is a very interesting and complicated topic. 

@nigelmoore (RIP) knew a lot about this topic.

Edited by magnetman