Crick Boat Show 2023

NB Alnwick

Featured Posts

We are planning on going again this year - mainly for the social atmosphere and entertainment.

It is surprising to see that moorings are still on offer on the website. In previous years we had to book our moorings at least four months in advance!

1 minute ago, NB Alnwick said:

We are planning on going again this year - mainly for the social atmosphere and entertainment.

It is surprising to see that moorings are still on offer on the website. In previous years we had to book our moorings at least four months in advance!

We're onboard that week and J has always fancied it, but having a quick look it's near £250 for Zone 1, £130 for Zone 2 for us and doesn't even include the tickets, which would be another £100 for 3 of us. Then add drinks and a bit of food at show prices, it's starting to make me sweat and the wallet moths have gone into hiding :D 

Maybe another year

4 hours ago, Hudds Lad said:

We're onboard that week and J has always fancied it, but having a quick look it's near £250 for Zone 1, £130 for Zone 2 for us and doesn't even include the tickets, which would be another £100 for 3 of us. Then add drinks and a bit of food at show prices, it's starting to make me sweat and the wallet moths have gone into hiding :D 

Maybe another year

That's disgraceful pricing, seeing as you are going to probably spend money anyway. They are still trying to fill the traders stands.(which costs them a lot too)

I think the term 'greedflation' is applicable here.

Otherwise known as 'profiteering' or taking the 'pi$$' in less polite circles.

Its rampant at the mo. People are expecting to pay more for stuff so some people are charging more regardless of whether they actually need to or not.

Edited by M_JG

25 minutes ago, matty40s said:

That's disgraceful pricing, seeing as you are going to probably spend money anyway. They are still trying to fill the traders stands.(which costs them a lot too)

Anyone with abit of time and a mini bus could make a killing transporting their ‘friends’ to and fro from a towpath theother side of the tunnel ish.

There are Zone 3 moorings, which is £76.95 for a 57fter, but says “a tranquil setting with an uneven and eroded canal bank. Be prepared to use a gangplank. This mooring zone suitable only for able-bodied and not recommended for pets.” We’ve not sorted a plank yet so that’s off the menu :D 

1 hour ago, matty40s said:

Mooring in the tunnel is Band C, £50 each

There were two disadvantages to this we found last year, swimming out with the notes to pay made them rather soggy.

Worse  was that goat chains didn’t work so we nearly gave up. How can you moor without chains.  Someone lent us things we hadn’t come across before now called pins but these  pins made a bit of a mess of the bricks in the tunnel I found . Why isn’t the tunnel all sandstone , give me a one of those sandy tunnels any day. Nearly put in a complaint to CRT. It’s horrible to crash into bricks when crashes can be cushioned with softer stone. The sandstone replacement scheme can’t come fast enough.
Those Crick people need to put in better moorings in the tunnel this year especially with a passing place channelled out for us widebeamers. 

• Greenie 1

13 hours ago, Stroudwater1 said:

There were two disadvantages to this we found last year, swimming out with the notes to pay made them rather soggy.

Worse  was that goat chains didn’t work so we nearly gave up. How can you moor without chains.  Someone lent us things we hadn’t come across before now called pins but these  pins made a bit of a mess of the bricks in the tunnel I found . Why isn’t the tunnel all sandstone , give me a one of those sandy tunnels any day. Nearly put in a complaint to CRT. It’s horrible to crash into bricks when crashes can be cushioned with softer stone. The sandstone replacement scheme can’t come fast enough.
Those Crick people need to put in better moorings in the tunnel this year especially with a passing place channelled out for us widebeamers. 

Why didn't you just tie to the safety chain that runs the length of the tunnel 

28 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

I havent been to the Crick show for about 20 years but I was very disappointed in the amount of narrowboat/ canal equipment for sale. plenty of crafts, gifts and even food.

That’ll be because the traders paying a lot for a pitch know what will sell and what doesn’t and boaters are ‘careful’ with their money, whereas wannabe boaters have come for a fun day out and have more disposable income as they don’t have a boat to pay for.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, David Mack said:

Isn't there a £10 fine for pulling that when there isn't an emergency?

That sign in trains always used to puzzle me. How would they know who pulled the chain? 

• 2 months later...
On 06/05/2023 at 09:09, MtB said:

That sign in trains always used to puzzle me. How would they know who pulled the chain? 

I better days there was a mechanical indicator to mark the coach and allow the chain to be re-set. The chain could only be re-set externally by the guard and it would be obvious to the guard in which compartment or seating bay that the chain had been pulled. That said, such 'fines' were very rarely charged.