Wheelie Bin Sailing the Atlantic

Featured Posts

2 hours ago, Ange said:

That reminded me of Donald Crowhurst. Voyage of Madmen is one of my favourite books.

When I read 'The strange voyage of Donald Crowhurst' the true log entries were some disturbing reading. You can chart his descent into deluded madness from the deception and isolation of sailing round in circles in the Atlantic..

• Greenie 1

Slocum put a great deal of research in to the design and build, I believe his work has benefitted many thousands of sailors since then. He had a goal, a worthwhile goal in my opinion.

Rowing across the Atlantic was another type of challenge, and as they say it's been done. 

I remember Tom McLean in his tiny boat, so that's been done.

There is no comparison here,  the vessel will be sent where the elements determine. A likely candidate for a rescue or worse.

15 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Slocum put a great deal of research in to the design and build, I believe his work has benefitted many thousands of sailors since then. He had a goal, a worthwhile goal in my opinion.

Rowing across the Atlantic was another type of challenge, and as they say it's been done. 

I remember Tom McLean in his tiny boat, so that's been done.

There is no comparison here,  the vessel will be sent where the elements determine. A likely candidate for a rescue or worse.

Slocum was undoudtedly a great sailor but I have always understood that Slocum actually bought Spray as a retired Oyster fishing boat in poor condition which he repaired and refitted it himself before setting off on his voyages. Over the years the Spray design has been used many times and can still be found in many parts of the world to this day.

Howard

• 4 weeks later...

" We had a difficult problem yesterday. We got back to the harbour and the boat had basically sunk. "

Hmmm. 

It seems a bit important to keep the water out. One wonders why such an apparently simple problem which is solved by countless other boat designers was not dealt with properly. 

Well, at least he found out sooner, rather than later. Though I am a bit surprised his extensive sea trials did not pick up on this issue.

Still, at least he had an adventure, and didn't endanger anyone else.

The only question that remains is will the remains fit in a wheelie bin.

12 minutes ago, magnetman said:

" We had a difficult problem yesterday. We got back to the harbour and the boat had basically sunk. "

Hmmm. 

It seems a bit important to keep the water out. One wonders why such an apparently simple problem which is solved by countless other boat designers was not dealt with properly. 

Complete waste of time and money, supposedly some sort of charity fund-raising, I don't think so.....

At least he got his 15 minutes of fame. I'm only gad that in the end  he hasn't  wasted anyone's time and money or put anyone else in potential danger ,   which would have been  almost inevitable if he needed rescuing, during of his  stupid and unnecessary record attempt. 

Howard

57 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Like most boating then.

Well, as it happens, my boating as a liveaboard has worked out financially for once!

Costs are lower than living in a tiny flat in the West of Scotland, plus I have a nice rural view, and it's much, much warmer. More travel, essentially free, and various other benefits.

I feel that my impact on the environment is less because I have more control of waste management and I'm using less resources: being retired I don't need a car, holidays abroad, a working wardrobe, time saving gadgetry.

The pros outweigh the cons at this time.

People often ask me about it when I meet them on the towpath, I always say "it's not for everyone".

Boating as a hobby is like any other hobby, very likely chosen because one has disposable income.

Edited by LadyG

4 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Andrew Bedwell, 49, has been forced to call of his trip across the Atlantic after the 3ft vessel started taking on water

Me thinks the buoyancy may have been insufficient.

Just a tad, I think.

And this is the man who is described in the press  as a sailor! May the saints preserve us from stupidity like this.

Howard