Paint For Free

system 4-50

Featured Posts

Not having a boat anymore, it is time to divest myself of the stockpile of paint that I hoarded for a rainy day.

I therefor have ~10  (that is TEN) x 2.5L Dulux Weathershield Exterior Gloss for wood & metal "guaranteed 6 years" (ha!) paint in Buckingham Green available for free to a good boating home.  ( Not available to new CWDF members with a negative number of posts.)  The face value of this at B&Q is about £480.  

Note that this is high-VOC paint so it actually works.

I am not asking anything for it as anyone taking it will be doing me a favour, it is almost impossible to get rid of by legal means apart from taking a teaspoonful per month down to my local tip.

Delivery is more of a problem.  I can deliver it to anwhere within approximately 1 hour's drive of Winchester. Or it can be collected.

There is also some varnish, some undercoat, and a bit of heat-resistant, which is also part of the lot.

I am not interested in splitting.

PM me if you are interested (it generates an email) as I do not visit the forum often.  The first party to contact me with a feasibile method of collection/delivery will be likely to get it.  I am keen to get rid of it quickly.

• Greenie 4

Oh man. I live in a wooden house (within an hour or so of @system 4-50 ) that needs painting... but the prep involved to use a "proper" gloss like Dulux Weathershield is not insubstantial, whereas I can use something like Sadolin Superdec pretty much straight out of the can with a good hose-down... and in my experience the superdec outlasts proper paint.

Bugger. Free paint with loads of work, or loads of money with less work... how lazy am I...???

(actually, also, do I want to live in a pea-green house??)

1 hour ago, rusty69 said:

I wouldn't live in a greenhouse. Too many vegetables. 

Mind you there seems to be plenty in the White house,so maybe colour doesn't matter. 

Aye, but the Chief Turnip is in Scotland so no worries there.

• Haha 1

I have had no other interest so far.

By post do you mean get it delivered to you?  The weight is considerable, the tins are relatively fragile, and they are a hazardous cargo??

What part of the world are you in?

Edited by system 4-50

10 hours ago, system 4-50 said:

I have had no other interest so far.

By post do you mean get it delivered to you?  The weight is considerable, the tins are relatively fragile, and they are a hazardous cargo??

What part of the world are you in?

I can't undrstand why you have had no takers for this.

If I send you my boat in the post, could you paint it and send it back. That would solve the hazardous cargo and the weight issue and the tins would remain undamaged.

• Greenie 3

2 hours ago, MtB said:

I'd love to have the paint but my boat isn't green.

Oh hang on....

There is an obvious solution to this. Get the green paint and paint it a colour of your choice before applying it to your boat.

Edited by rusty69
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, rusty69 said:

I can't undrstand why you have had no takers for this.

If I send you my boat in the post, could you paint it and send it back. That would solve the hazardous cargo and the weight issue and the tins would remain undamaged.

Certainly, I will discuss it with our postman, there might be a slight difficulty because we have one of those silly letterboxes that is 4" off the floor.  There might be a slight delay in getting the boat back to you, as obviously we would have to road test it for you to ensure the paint finish was good enough, which would require us to navigate most of the system, so would returned in 4 years time be ok?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Owls Den said:

Basically you use your head for thinking.

Thinking?

Nope. Sorry, you've got me there...

Shouldn't I just turn the bilge pump on if I notice I'm thinking? 

(Nice wine, this....)

• 2 weeks later...

Some of the things that keep me awake during the wee hours, whilst I toss and turn trying desperately to get back to sleep include,but are not limited to, the possible imminent annihilation of mankind through self destruction, the ever increasing cost of living, climate change, worldwide inequality, does silicon heaven really exist, North Korea, South Korea , Marilyn Monroe.

But recently I find I am concerned for the welfare of the kindly offered paint. Whatever became of it, I wonder? Did it find a new home? Has it been left to grow old and dusty on some unforgotten shelf waiting for the day the tins rust through, and it spills itself onto the floor below? Was it dumped, unceremoniously in some lay-by near Milton Keynes?

Please, please can we have an update so I can get some sleep.

Thank You.

Edited by rusty69

4 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Didn't I say I had been having trouble sleeping during the wee hours?

I suggest going to sleep whilst having a wee is fraught with problems. I advise against even trying.

Watching paint dry has been a popular recreational activity for generations, so I am investigating if watching tins of paint has the same interest.  If the trial is successful a detailed research paper will be published and the tins will be put on sale with a TV promotional advertising campaign at a premium price.

(If however, they are found to have a soporific effect, I will be contacting rusty69 when he next wakes up.)

Edited by system 4-50
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, rusty69 said:

Well, yes. Didn't I say I had been having trouble sleeping during the wee hours? Gotta catch up sometime.

Most of the forum members find the sleep hours and the wee hours are the same anyway.

You're a youngster so shouldn't be having this issue yet ...

• Haha 2