Any ideas what this is?

Featured Posts

4 hours ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Clearing out a boat cupboard I found this. It's steel, 11 inches long and five inches wide. Obviously never been used. The blue thing is plastic and threaded. I have absolutley no recollection of ever having seen it before...thing.jpg.8290f3ee01a440e6deb9e02d47431366.jpg

A search using Google lens brings up similar looking things which appear to have musical connections, notably guitar related.

Though gawd knows what the connection is.

1 hour ago, StephenA said:

is the blue thing attached to it?

Yes, it screws into a socket on the side.

3 minutes ago, M_JG said:

A search using Google lens brings up similar looking things which appear to have musical connections, notably guitar related.

I can't imagine what that could be.

The blue thing must be meant to secure it to something, somehow, but I can't work out how, or what the tabs are for. I can't think of anything I've ever had on the boat it could have belonged to.

46 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Dashboard holder for a huge mobile phone?

My kids have mocked my ancient mobile for years,  but even mine...

21 minutes ago, M_JG said:

That sounds like pick up surrounds on an electric guitar but they wouldn't be that big. 

19 minutes ago, Ianws said:

That sounds like pick up surrounds on an electric guitar but they wouldn't be that big. 

A quick search for 'pick up surrounds' would appear to confirm this. The thing in the pic. in the OP is Way way too big.

As you were folks..

16 hours ago, M_JG said:

A quick search for 'pick up surrounds' would appear to confirm this. The thing in the pic. in the OP is Way way too big.

As you were folks..

Pick up surrounds for an electric double bass? 😅

Edited by cuthound
To remove a full stop masquerading as a space.

25 minutes ago, BilgePump said:

No idea what it is but as soon as you've thrown it out you'll realise what it's for and that you then really, really need it.

Not to worry. Some one will have a replacement available on eBay for £850. 😀

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Higgs said:

The notch in the blue plastic screw looks as though it should locate into something, to push or pull, as an adjustment. Any chance of having a photo of the back?

I think he has just put the blue thing there to make it more difficult to work out what it is. 

The blue thing seems to be underneath and a separate arrrticle. 

3 minutes ago, magnetman said:

I think he has just put the blue thing there to make it more difficult to work out what it is. 

The blue thing seems to be underneath and a separate arrrticle. 

Don't, it's puzzling enough. 😊 Especially with those oddly spaced lugs on the inside.

Just now, magnetman said:

Without the plastic bit it could be part of a portable gas cooker. 

The shadow it casts does suggest that the screw is attached through an arm of the casting.

It does look fixed yes. 

Maybe the irregular positioning of the lugs is because it was a prototype hawgle blasting wurdleflapper but someone got the measurements wrong. 

There is probably an improved version somewhere with a red coloured plastic part.