Holly the Cafe Boat gives up on the Huddersfield Narrow canal

Pie Eater

Featured Posts

I have just watched the latest vlog and I am saddened that Vic decided to turn back after the first 12 locks and decided to return to Marple to trade.

It is obvious that this canal is not for the faint hearted.

Edited by Pie Eater
Spelling

It ridiculous that it is in that state, essentially not fit for use by family boaters.

I am turning round after watching that vlog, he's got two boats and a young family, it's just not safe.

I've been warned off trying to cross the pennines in to Manchester. I was hoping there would be vlockies in the summer, but another boater told me they don't work these canals 

3 minutes ago, LadyG said:

It ridiculous that it is in that state, essentially not fit for use by family boaters.

I am turning round after watching that vlog, he's got two boats and a young family, it's just not safe.

I've been warned off trying to cross the pennines in to Manchester. I was hoping there would be vlockies in the summer, but another boater told me they don't work these canals 

Get down to the Coventry and  Oxford, you will love it.

• Haha 1

Just now, LadyG said:

What route do you suggest, a lorry seems extreme.

Whichever is open when you leave? My fave is through Thorne and out at Keadby down to Nottingham and onwards. Brilliant run.

• Greenie 1

Just now, mrsmelly said:

Whichever is open when you leave? My fave is through Thorne and out at Keadby down to Nottingham and onwards. Brilliant run.

I've been shuttling to and fro for two months waiting for the rivers to settle. 

1 minute ago, LadyG said:

I've been shuttling to and fro for two months waiting for the rivers to settle. 

I dont check anymore. Whats Trent like at moment? Pick a day with a middleing tide and low wind if you can. Its a blooming doddle. You are not pressed for time being a free agent so do it on a nice couple of days. Plenty of threads re the whys and where fors on here :cheers:

• Greenie 1

11 hours ago, Pie Eater said:

I have just watched the latest vlog and I am saddened that Vic decided to turn back after the first 12 locks and decided to return to Marple to trade.

It is obvious that this canal is not for the faint hearted.

You think he is faint hearted? You obviously haven’t watched all their blogs or you wouldn’t be talking such crap. His decision to turn back was clearly explained and there was nothing ‘faint hearted’ about it - made absolute sense.

• Greenie 2

We have just ambled up to Uppermill, easiest passage ever. All locks weiring and hardly any leaky top gates. As ever, difficult for single handers as most lock landings very shallow. Trips down weed hatch...nil.

• Greenie 2

11 hours ago, LadyG said:

What route do you suggest, a lorry seems extreme.

You should know some of the route. As you’ve been that way when you left Goole and ended up on the Chesterfield then Lincoln way, then you went back up the Trent through Keadby to where you are now. So you should know how to get to Torksey and what the river’s like this time of year. Then just follow the Trent to Nottingham, there will be lock keepers on the Trent locks to Nottingham to get you through. Not really difficult but you seam to want to make things difficult or talk that they’ll be difficult for you to do?

Edited by BoatinglifeupNorth

21 minutes ago, BoatinglifeupNorth said:

. Not really difficult but you seam to want to make things difficult or talk that they’ll be difficult for you to do?

pathetic.ignored.wasteofspace.

Edited by LadyG
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, LadyG said:

Havn't been along the HNC this year, but although a taxing canal (mainly because of the sheer number of locks, and some low pounds) I think you may be worrying unduly.

I have seen volockies helping boats through both HNC locks and on the Broad, so they do seem to be available.

I helped  with a couple of volockies an elderly lady on a sixty footer along the Broad.It was a bit of a struggle but we got her through.

Don't give up on the HNC, it's worth the effort, there are stunning views along the way, and some good stopover places.Slaithwaite being my favourite.

• Greenie 1
  • Happy 1

1 hour ago, LadyG said:

pathetic.ignored.wasteofspace.

Obviously you can’t handle the fact’s and you don’t want to move far. As people have said on here many times “I wonder what @LadyG next drama will be”  with most of your drama’s you make a mountain out of a mole hill. 
 And with reference to your comment. The only thing Pathetic is your boating and all your life’s experiences and qualifications you say you have with sailing boats has been a waste of space and anything you say on here is best taken with a pinch of salt or best ignored.

Edited by BoatinglifeupNorth
  • Greenie 2

1 hour ago, Mad Harold said:

Havn't been along the HNC this year, but although a taxing canal (mainly because of the sheer number of locks, and some low pounds) I think you may be worrying unduly.

I have seen volockies helping boats through both HNC locks and on the Broad, so they do seem to be available.

I helped  with a couple of volockies an elderly lady on a sixty footer along the Broad.It was a bit of a struggle but we got her through.

Don't give up on the HNC, it's worth the effort, there are stunning views along the way, and some good stopover places.Slaithwaite being my favourite.

I'm not particularly worried, I have various options, and will keep going till it gets too unpleasant. I'm usually  quite happy to retrace my steps, but i'm not going to go in to a rubbish strewn canal, (urban derelict with needles) when there are plenty of other routes. Slaithwaite is on my bucket list, at the moment :)

19 minutes ago, Jon57 said:

My plastic bucket will be antique by the time she gets there. 😁

It is interesting how we can read on here different reports of doing the Huddersfield and despite the fact that they are  done about the same time some are positive some are very negative. 

We found it delightful if hard work last year. 

20 minutes ago, haggis said:

It is interesting how we can read on here different reports of doing the Huddersfield and despite the fact that they are  done about the same time some are positive some are very negative. 

We found it delightful if hard work last year. 

If you enjoy a bit of physical work and have a 'can do' attitude, then the HNC will be enjoyable.

The HNC is unfortunately no good for "Moaning Minnies"

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Mad Harold said:

If you enjoy a bit of physical work and have a 'can do' attitude, then the HNC will be enjoyable.

The HNC is unfortunately no good for "Moaning Minnies"

Yep did it in2019 and 2020 boat draws 2foot 10inch underway. Giving it a rest for a while now I’ve got the badge.👍👍