Gloucester Docks dredging

StephenA

Featured Posts

“We haven’t had any type of assurance as to when the pontoons will be dredged. The message coming across is that it is not a priority. You are just literally getting the tall ships in at the depths you are reaching at the moment.”

Mr Eaton said the trust’s next priory will be to free the boats trapped by the silt and make sure they can get into Barge Arm and out of Victoria Basin. He said: “In a perfect world, we would have a bottomless pit of money and would be unconstrained by environmental regulations...”

To which he received booing from the crowd and cries of “here we go again!”

https://www.gloucestershirelive.co.uk/news/gloucester-news/gloucester-docks-canal-river-trust-8397083

Edited by StephenA
  • Unimpressed 1

"Gloucester Docks: Canal and River Trust blasted over dredging problems and 'years of neglect'"

----

Blasted Eh? I bet that put the fear of god into them in a similar way which happens when they are 'slammed'. 

Quite how the income from the water sales doesn’t cover the increased dredging cost as well as provide a profit is mind blowing. It shows just how unfit for purpose CRT are at all levels. I’m afraid it’s going to be many years if ever before boats can once again moor in Gloucester. 

• Greenie 1

I think that you lock up into the dock, so if you do, why can CaRT not scour the docks like Bristol seem to. I accept that is unlikely to remove the muck from the arm and marina, but if it was done regularly the mud in the main basin would be controlled so there would be less to make its way into the arm and marina.

30 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

I think that you lock up into the dock, so if you do, why can CaRT not scour the docks like Bristol seem to. I accept that is unlikely to remove the muck from the arm and marina, but if it was done regularly the mud in the main basin would be controlled so there would be less to make its way into the arm and marina.

Would you not drain the whole canal as well as the basins?

I was thinking a large syphon to dump the mud back into the Severn (where it came from) but suspect it is now "waste".

20 minutes ago, jonesthenuke said:

I was thinking a large syphon to dump the mud back into the Severn (where it came from) but suspect it is now "waste".

Well, yes you would if you just let it run with no time control, but the canal is so long it could probably scour for a couple of hours before the canal level wend down more than a couple of inches. Bristol do not seem to have this problem, although the feeder canal is far shorter than the G&S and probably shallower.

17 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

Well, yes you would if you just let it run with no time control, but the canal is so long it could probably scour for a couple of hours before the canal level wend down more than a couple of inches. Bristol do not seem to have this problem, although the feeder canal is far shorter than the G&S and probably shallower.

I agree that would clear the entrance to the lock and perhaps some channel, but would not remove silt from the wider area of the docks.

We will have to wait whilst they slowly and expensively dig it out. 

22 hours ago, jonesthenuke said:

Down near Purton there is the remains of the old dredging dumping station where they pumped the mud back out into the river.