70 ft traditional

nealeST

Featured Posts

Nothing wrong with 70` boats (or even a little bit longer) but licence and moorings cost more and in my experience you have to think about the layout. Getting heat to the ends can be tricky and as the back end sits deeper in perishing cold water it is wise to have the layout light and airy and not stuffed with cupboards and storage or condensation and mould can be a problem. Am working on plans for a telescopic boat - 35` when moored or for licencing, 72` for living on.

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, nealeST said:

Yes I indeed, they may ask you which pronoun your boat prefers? 😂

Steady now...I fear we could get cancelled....

An interesting area for discussion.

Boats are commonly refered to as 'she'.

But when I asked about this on here many years ago I was assured working canal boats were never ever refered to in a gender specific way.

Having been used to a 70ft boat years ago I found handling a 25ft one recently far more difficult.   The small one was hard to steer straight whereas the 70 often seemed to steer itself, as that was what the canal was designed for and deeper draft tended to follow the channel.   In locks the 25ft needed constant gear changing and speed adjustment or tying up to avoid being thrown into the lock gates, whereas the 70 with tug deck could just be nosed against the gates with engine staying in tickover and be left alone, the tug deck meant that leaking gates were no problem.

• Greenie 3

4 hours ago, JamesFrance said:

Having been used to a 70ft boat years ago I found handling a 25ft one recently far more difficult.   The small one was hard to steer straight whereas the 70 often seemed to steer itself, as that was what the canal was designed for and deeper draft tended to follow the channel.   In locks the 25ft needed constant gear changing and speed adjustment or tying up to avoid being thrown into the lock gates, whereas the 70 with tug deck could just be nosed against the gates with engine staying in tickover and be left alone, the tug deck meant that leaking gates were no problem.

Ditto. For a family gathering some years ago we hired a small day hire boat. Absolutely awful to handle - wouldn't go in a straight line and would make a dive for the bank every time you gave it less than 100% concentration. And to think they hired that thing out to newbies with no experience and little tuition!