Featured Posts

I’m booked in 11 May until 18 May, different entry / exit times will be in operation as below…

***************************************************************************************************

We are contacting all those with a booking to enter and exit Salthouse Dock via the Liverpool Canal Link between Friday 5 May and Saturday 13 May 2023.
The Trust have been conversing with the Home Office in relation to keeping the Salthouse Dock & Liverpool Canal Link open to our customers during the time in which Liverpool will host the Eurovision contest. Initially, the Home Office wanted the Trust to cancel all bookings to help ensure the area is secure, however we appealed this and have come to a mutual agreement in order to keep the Link & Salthouse Dock open during this period.

‘Eurovillage’ will be based at the Pier Head for the duration of the event and 15k visitors are expected on the site every day (ticketed event). The area will be a secure area (with bag searches etc) due to any potential security threat.

In addition to other security checks, the Police will be carrying out sonar searches of the canal, twice daily, for any objects that may have been placed in the water or in the tunnels.
Due to this, from Friday 5th May until, and inclusive of, Saturday 13th May 2023*, the Liverpool Canal Link must be clear of boats by 12pm (midday) and times to exit and enter Liverpool South Docks via the Link have been amended:

• All boats leaving via the Liverpool Canal Link must be at Mann Island for no later than 8am.
• All boats entering via the Liverpool Canal Link need to be at the top of Stanley Lock Flight for 10am.

Should you fail to meet this deadline, you will be denied access and will need to wait until the following morning for access.
Due to high demand, a refund will not be given on the nights you have missed.

Please note, there are no passages on Tuesdays.

This will allow all boats to transit the Liverpool Canal Link and be past the Pier Head by 12pm (midday).
*Please note the exception of the Saturday 6 May: These customers have been contacted direct. Due to The Coronation of His Majesty The King being shown at Pier Head, all customers must enter the Link by 9am, please be at the top of the Stanley Lock Flight by 8.30am.
These timings are non-negotiable and is on instruction by the Home Office to ensure the safety of all and allow us to keep this mooring opportunity open at such an eventful time.

****************************************************************************************************

Edited by andyberg
  • Greenie 2

Mrs. Athy and I will probably watch it on telly as usual.

In years gone by we used to award each song marks out of ten, but our choices were always so hopelessly at variance with those of the official juries that we gave up doing so.

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

It will be netflix or the pub for us, never watch a second of it. Its up there with other unwatchables, like Im a celebrity etc etc.

I have a few Eurovision winners in my record collection. My favourites are probably 'Tom Pillibi' by Jacqueline Boyer and 'Waterloo 'by Abba. Nothing too recent, though.

18 minutes ago, Athy said:

I have a few Eurovision winners in my record collection. My favourites are probably 'Tom Pillibi' by Jacqueline Boyer and 'Waterloo 'by Abba. Nothing too recent, though.

😁 Lubbly jubbly. I saw ABBA live in Sweden in 1974, absolooooootely fantastic in their time. Never been surpassed. The novelty back then was that most entries could even sing!!!! imagine that these days.

• Greenie 3

26 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Hmmm...file under typical Eurofodder - lively enough, but with no chance of winning )though, based on my pervious form as mentioned earlier, it probably will win now that I've said that).

At least ahe keeps her performance fairly low-key and doesn't cavort around wearing 5,000 sequins or come onstage riding on a puma. It is after all supposed to be a SONG contest and not a PERFORMANCE contest.

3 minutes ago, Athy said:

Hmmm...file under typical Eurofodder - lively enough, but with no chance of winning )though, based on my pervious form as mentioned earlier, it probably will win now that I've said that).

At least ahe keeps her performance fairly low-key and doesn't cavort around wearing 5,000 sequins or come onstage riding on a puma. It is after all supposed to be a SONG contest and not a PERFORMANCE contest.

Agreed. Usualy theses days, its a case of the more bling and less clothing means the less talent.

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, Mad Harold said:

YAWN!

If it was about the music and the skill of the artist, I would be interested.

But it has become a circus.

This was one of the main reasons that The Beatles gave up.People were so busy screaming at them, they may as well have sung Ten Green Bottles.

• Greenie 1

On 28/04/2023 at 09:34, andyberg said:

I’m booked in 11 May until 18 May, different entry / exit times will be in operation as below…

***************************************************************************************************

We are contacting all those with a booking to enter and exit Salthouse Dock via the Liverpool Canal Link between Friday 5 May and Saturday 13 May 2023.
The Trust have been conversing with the Home Office in relation to keeping the Salthouse Dock & Liverpool Canal Link open to our customers during the time in which Liverpool will host the Eurovision contest. Initially, the Home Office wanted the Trust to cancel all bookings to help ensure the area is secure, however we appealed this and have come to a mutual agreement in order to keep the Link & Salthouse Dock open during this period.

‘Eurovillage’ will be based at the Pier Head for the duration of the event and 15k visitors are expected on the site every day (ticketed event). The area will be a secure area (with bag searches etc) due to any potential security threat.

In addition to other security checks, the Police will be carrying out sonar searches of the canal, twice daily, for any objects that may have been placed in the water or in the tunnels.
Due to this, from Friday 5th May until, and inclusive of, Saturday 13th May 2023*, the Liverpool Canal Link must be clear of boats by 12pm (midday) and times to exit and enter Liverpool South Docks via the Link have been amended:

• All boats leaving via the Liverpool Canal Link must be at Mann Island for no later than 8am.
• All boats entering via the Liverpool Canal Link need to be at the top of Stanley Lock Flight for 10am.

Should you fail to meet this deadline, you will be denied access and will need to wait until the following morning for access.
Due to high demand, a refund will not be given on the nights you have missed.

Please note, there are no passages on Tuesdays.

This will allow all boats to transit the Liverpool Canal Link and be past the Pier Head by 12pm (midday).
*Please note the exception of the Saturday 6 May: These customers have been contacted direct. Due to The Coronation of His Majesty The King being shown at Pier Head, all customers must enter the Link by 9am, please be at the top of the Stanley Lock Flight by 8.30am.
These timings are non-negotiable and is on instruction by the Home Office to ensure the safety of all and allow us to keep this mooring opportunity open at such an eventful time.

****************************************************************************************************

Thanks for the info! Our booking around this time got cancelled so we changed plans. I was wondering whether to pop down and check out atmosphere but maybe too much madness 😂 Glad they’ve been able to keep the boaters there - feel like it’s a good opportunity to be seen (in arial shots at least) as a community

On 28/04/2023 at 12:28, mrsmelly said:

😁 Lubbly jubbly. I saw ABBA live in Sweden in 1974, absolooooootely fantastic in their time. Never been surpassed. The novelty back then was that most entries could even sing!!!! imagine that these days.

Back in the 70's Richard Stilgo on Nationwide came up with the ideal Eurovision entry, he said a song needed to sound like it had come from a fairground and if possible include the word beefsteak as it was similar in most of the languages at the time.

• Greenie 2
  • Happy 1
  • Haha 1

On 28/04/2023 at 09:36, Athy said:

Mrs. Athy and I will probably watch it on telly as usual.

In years gone by we used to award each song marks out of ten, but our choices were always so hopelessly at variance with those of the official juries that we gave up doing so.

Glad Liverpool is getting some spotlight, undecided wether to go down there now not in the dock. I’m mostly there for the commentary - Think Norton does a decent job in Wogan tradition 😂 

On 28/04/2023 at 09:24, Boatymcboaterson said:

Hello, this is a general enquiry about the logistics & experience of Eurovision around the docks in 2023 -

Has anyone managed to get onto Salthouse Dock? Are you going to Liverpool & have any plans to celebrate the shindigs?

I'm in Salthouse Dock at the moment (won't be for Eurovision itself)

We got treated to the local students' rehearsals on the CRT stage in the middle of the dock.

There's extra security around the exhibition centre (might affect your way to walk along the full length of the promenade) and some low level barriers at Pier Head, but otherwise seems pretty normal apart from some welcoming banners and sculptures

On 28/04/2023 at 13:41, Athy said:

cavort around wearing 5,000 sequins or come onstage riding on a puma.

if she did this, I would watch

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, bill brown said:

Sailing in tomorrow, pity the facilities at Litherland are dire even by the CRT’s low standards. Still, how often do you get to sail around the world? Have tickets for one of the semis but out before the final. Should be interesting.FC027469-2546-49EB-B4EC-DB92E9024430.thumb.jpeg.47be522ccb626f1673e1b62381650200.jpeg

Are they copying Walsall?

IMG_1594b.jpg

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...