Rope round prop, consequences?

LadyG

Featured Posts

OK , so got rope round prop and I think it stalled the engine  

So, have removed the rope, easy enough, there was a tiny bit of plastic but otherwise all looked OK but I did not waggle the propshaft.

Boat is perfect in astern but in forward it feels a bit rough , that is to say mechanical, it is not what it was like before 

I will take it for a bit of a run to see if it settles or if it gets worse.

I've got a PRM120 and I think it might have had a clunk.

I m on the way to a boatyard anyway via a river.

6 minutes ago, LadyG said:

So, have removed the rope, easy enough, there was a tiny bit of plastic but otherwise all looked OK but I did not waggle the propshaft.

Boat is perfect in astern but in forward it feels a bit rough , that is to say mechanical, it is not what it was like before 

Another disaster or is it an excuse again to be a CM? 

Do you really think that you should be on a boat?

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Are you 100% sure you have got every thing off the prop. Its surprising how small a foreign object can cause imbalance.

1 minute ago, LadyG said:

I've never had an overstay notice, I think you mistake me for someone else. I assume you can't answer the question, so best zip the zipper.

Give the stern gland greaser a good screw down. Sometimes a heavy clonk on the prop can yank at the shaft.

• Happy 1

3 minutes ago, M_JG said:

Are you 100% sure you have got every thing off the prop. Its surprising how small a foreign object can cause imbalance.

There is a tiny tiny bit of plastic, well tight in the shaft. I don't think I could actually remove it, and it has probably been there for years, it was the rope that caused the incident , I'm sure of that, I hope the drive plate is not damaged, of course it all happened  quickly, as I was manoeuvring.

9 minutes ago, bizzard said:

Give the stern gland greaser a good screw down. Sometimes a heavy clonk on the prop can yank at the shaft.

So the greaser would do what?

I had a look in that area, and it seemed a bit wet, but no water flowing in 

5 minutes ago, dmr said:

What we really want to know is was it your own rope? 😀

I refuse to answer that question. Don't ask me again :(

ty.

Edited by LadyG

Btw, I am currently moored up legally, well almost, as I am on visitor moorings. There are two boats on the Lock Landing, one said to me she would be back in five days, and the other just arrived a few days ago, I have no idea if they are aware that they should not be moored there. There is another boat tied up on the offside, and I don't think he has a licence!

17 minutes ago, LadyG said:

So the greaser would do what?

I had a look in that area, and it seemed a bit wet, but no water flowing in 

I refuse to answer that question. Don't ask me again :(

ty.

It might force the bit of plastic out for one. Always good to grease it after a prop foul.

• Greenie 1
  • Happy 1

27 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I've never had an overstay notice, I think you mistake me for someone else. I assume you can't answer the question, so best zip the zipper.

Oh, but I think your recent experiences and careless boat handling do answer the question very well.

2 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Give her enough rope and eventually she will......................

For an old sailor getting your own rope around your prop is a flogging offence. I still think she would be safer in a caravan.

I would normally sail on and off my moorings, never had a rope round the prop in a real boat 

2 minutes ago, bizzard said:

It might force the bit of plastic out for one. Always good to grease it after a prop foul.

I have tightened the greaser but to no avail, ty

Edited by LadyG
  • Haha 1

I find it unlikely that a rope would stop the prop and shaft so quickly that it would do any mechanical damage, unlike a rock or log, but the torque reaction on the engine may have damaged an engine mount so the engine and shaft are now out of alignment. Probably unlikely, but worth a close inspection. 

Because ropes bring the load on the system comparatively slowly compared with a log or rock, I doubt it would have damaged the drive plate unless the plate was in poor condition before the incident, but one can never be 100% sure.

If forced to give an opinion based on what you have said, I would suggest it may be that your senses have been heightened by the incident, so you are now more aware of vibrations etc that were always present.

• Greenie 3
  • Happy 1

1 hour ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Give her enough rope and eventually she will......................

For an old sailor getting your own rope around your prop is a flogging offence. I still think she would be safer in a caravan.

Only time I did that it was middle of winter, ice on the canal and I could only keep my hand in the water for about 30 seconds before it was too numb to hold the saw. Doesn't everybody do it once? But not twice...

1 hour ago, LadyG said:

There is a tiny tiny bit of plastic, well tight in the shaft. I don't think I could actually remove it, and it has probably been there for years, it was the rope that caused the incident , I'm sure of that, I hope the drive plate is not damaged, of course it all happened  quickly, as I was manoeuvring.

It might have forced the plastic further in. Anything in there will affect the prop.

• Greenie 1

When I got our rope round the prop (just the once as Arthur says) it wound really tight round the shaft between the back of the prop and the stern tube. In this case it could put quite an outward pull on shaft, could this have moved or broken something?

• Greenie 1

11 minutes ago, dmr said:

When I got our rope round the prop (just the once as Arthur says) it wound really tight round the shaft between the back of the prop and the stern tube. In this case it could put quite an outward pull on shaft, could this have moved or broken something?

That is true if the rope is tied to the boat, but LadyG has not confirmed this is the case - I bet it is though. I can't see just a random piece of rope doing that to any great extent.

We don't know what the rope was made from, but if it was synthetic the piece of plastic could be melted rope.

4 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

We don't know what the rope was made from, but if it was synthetic the piece of plastic could be melted rope.

I had a rucksack round the prop on the BCN and the zip melted where it ran tight on the shaft

I remember on the Coventry canal a hire boat with a replacement tiller lying on the roof.

We found out why when we saw the other hire boat with the tiller bent completely over the stern and down to the water with the tiller handle pointing at the sky.

The rope draped carelessly on the tiller pin had fallen in the water and been grabbed by the prop. Could have led to very serious injury to the steerer, its one thing falling off the stern, another completely being dragged off suddenly by your own tiller. 

42 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Only time I did that it was middle of winter, ice on the canal and I could only keep my hand in the water for about 30 seconds before it was too numb to hold the saw. Doesn't everybody do it once? But not twice...

It might have forced the plastic further in. Anything in there will affect the prop.

If the water is very cold, a full kettle of boiling water dumped into the hatch will give you extra time before the cold gets into your fingers.

I have some very thick 12kv gloves that have excellent thermal properties for such work, not that I have ever had a shock off my propeller!

But then I have never been stupid enough to get my own rope around my prop! I do admit to coiling  a stern rope on the tiller pin occasionally though, but its a long pin and I use stiff rope that stays put.

Edited by Tracy D'arth

21 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

I was thinking the same and until its removed I doubt it can be completely eliminated as the cause of the continuing problem.

20 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

I remember on the Coventry canal a hire boat with a replacement tiller lying on the roof.

We found out why when we saw the other hire boat with the tiller bent completely over the stern and down to the water with the tiller handle pointing at the sky.

The rope draped carelessly on the tiller pin had fallen in the water and been grabbed by the prop. Could have led to very serious injury to the steerer, its one thing falling off the stern, another completely being dragged off suddenly by your own tiller. 

If the water is very cold, a full kettle of boiling water dumped into the hatch will give you extra time before the cold gets into your fingers.

I have some very thick 12kv gloves that have excellent thermal properties for such work, not that I have ever had a shock off my propeller!

But then I have never been stupid enough to get my own rope around my prop! I do admit to coiling  a stern rope on the tiller pin occasionally though, but its a long pin and I use stiff rope that stays put.

I think I did do the kettle thing, and I've now got some serious gloves - but I've never done it again. It was the centre rope, wound bar tight. It's the trouble with a short boat, when the rope needs to be long enough to reach lockside and so is a lot longer than half a biat length. I used to leave it coiled on thd roof and it got knocked off by a passing tree. Now it lives on the deck.

1 minute ago, cuthound said:

The only time I have had a rope wrapped around the prop which then stalled the engine, the rope had a fender attached to it!

Hah. I see your fender and raise you a grappling hook.

An official CRT volly one just to add insult to injury!

• Haha 2