Boat shell advice

Featured Posts

19 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

These images will self delete at noon today. 

It makes a lot more sense when you read the whole piece but as you say it is very much of it's time. I thought there were a number of omissions in the list you extracted but they are largely covered by the first entry in the General Elite of "most of the BCN builders".

It was the addition of Goldsborough in the overall list that drew my eye because that was a fit-out operation not a fabricator, all is explained in the text.

Is that fancy wording essentially describing SMH boats as quality but a bit fake? I don't agree his spiritual home is the BCN.

Edited by Captain Pegg

3 minutes ago, dogless said:

[url=https://ibb.co/CwXt4kT][img]https://i.ibb.co/tHNhn7W/20230426-141831.jpg[/img][/url]
[url=https://ibb.co/mtCsgr5][img]https://i.ibb.co/7VJcLxt/20230426-141804.jpg[/img][/url]

Anyone tell me about this boat style ... Dutch looking I thought.

I quite like the look of it.

Rog

image.png

No page.

(That is the picture @dogless posted)

Just now, dogless said:

Thanks Andrew ... know anything about the shell style ?

Rog

@Tam & Di will know more but I think these are possibly called 'westlanders'. Small trading boats from the flat country.

Not sure about this.

• Greenie 1

3 hours ago, Captain Pegg said:

..As I posted in the parallel thread on hull recognition traditional narrowboat shapes were never done for purely aesthetic reasons. In this case it is about not getting the bow of the boat caught on any part of the canal infrastructure, mostly top gates or cills when ascending locks. It can have disasterous consequences for the boat or the gate. I'd like to think that if I reeled off the names of a handful of the boatbuilders that have continued boat building traditions through the leisure era they have never - and would never - build a boat with such a feature. 

Whilst taking the dog for a walk at Braunston this morning, I came across a Viking narrow boat (not a wide boat as in picture) with one of these on the stem.

From research, common on their boats.

Viking Canal Boats | Luxury Bespoke Narrowboats & WideBeam Builders

6998661.jpg

Edited by Ray T

2 minutes ago, Ray T said:

Whilst taking the dog for a walk at Braunston I came across a Viking narrow boat with one of these on the stem.

From research common on their boats.

6998661.jpg

That's naff, but just one of many unappealing features on that boat.

One thing I note with many boats is how access to the bow T stud is severely hindered. In this case although it doesn't require a fight with a cratch cover it seems to require a lot of agility and good knees or go via the gunwale. I suspect that's not uncommon for a widebeam given the forward swims will be longer than for a narrowboat unless the bow is very bluff. For me the real test of a hull is how easy is it to cruise, and by that I mean including all the necessary fiddly operations as well as it how it swims down the middle of the channel. It's amzing how many common features hinder everyday operations.

3 hours ago, rusty69 said:

His book interestingly names his preferred builders as:

Five town boat building

Doug Moore

Les Allen and sons

Colecraft

Warble Narrowboats

Ballilol Fowden and associates

Sagar Marine

Stowe Hill Marine

Peter Nicholls

Stoke on Trent boat builders

David Piper

Stephen Goldsborough

He mentions the general elite builders as:

Doug Moore

Stowe Hill Marine

Steve Hudson.

Not many of them still in business, and those that are are probably run by somebody else now.

Edited by David Mack

14 hours ago, Mark R said:

Morning all,

Thanks for all your replies, I’m blown away by the response. As it happens the photo of the boat aren’t the one that would be produced. The stern and bow can be built to my specification.  

Take care with that idea, I visited Steve Hudson when I wanted a hull and when I suggested something, quite often his reply was "we do it this way" ie. he was not prepared to deviate his design of hull to suit my requirements.