What Three Words - For the dinosaurs here :)

Richard10002

Featured Posts

15 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Seems a bit cruel to the horse riding under 30 feet of water ...

10 metres is not 30 feet. 

This is where it all goes wrong. It is more like 32.8 feet which is 32 plus 8*12/10 inches. 

32ft9.6 inches. .6 being 3/5. 

3 hours ago, rusty69 said:

PLB

Agreed and, as a diver, sailor, skiier, but not really a hiker, I am both familiar and comfortable with location beacons, and have carried one when diving and sailing.

However, I don't carry one 24/7, whereas it is rare for me to be without my phone and my W3W app.

In addition, most people won't be familiar with location beacons, and maynot even know what they are, never mind carrying one, whereas they will be familiar with apps, including map apps and GPS, and will more than likely have a phone with them.

Notwithstanding all of that, along with the negativity of those like Alan* ( :) ), the reason I posted the video was because W3W is much more than an aid to rescuing the surfer with his phone. It gives a precise address to millions who do not have the luxuries that we have, and could definitely be lifesaving in many circumstances. 

* de Enfield ;)

53 minutes ago, magnetman said:

10 metres is not 30 feet. 

This is where it all goes wrong. It is more like 32.8 feet which is 32 plus 8*12/10 inches. 

32ft9.6 inches. .6 being 3/5. 

I think the imperial unit was used for Alan's* benefit. He has made it clear that he would like to turn the clock back half a century more than once :(

* de Enfield 

• Greenie 1

This thing about imperial units is they are so much more 'human'. 

It is far easier to envisage 70ft than 21.33m. Or 18" than 457mm.

And nowadays we gas bods are expected to use square millimetres for working out cross sectional areas of air vents. Who here would be able to pick an air vent grille off the shelf in Wickes that is say 24 square inches in free area? Most of us would be able to pick up and look at some air vent grilles and choose one at least roughly right, I bet.

Who here would be easily able to select an air vent grille 15,484 square millimetres in free area though just by picking up and looking at some, and estimating the free area?

Unless first I told you the 24 square inch one is the same, that is.

Edited by MtB
Fiddle with it

29 minutes ago, MtB said:

This thing about imperial units is they are so much more 'human'. 

It is far easier to envisage 70ft than 21.33m. Or 18" than 457mm.

And nowadays we gas bods are expected to use square millimetres for working out cross sectional areas of air vents. Who here would be able to pick an air vent grille off the shelf in Wickes that is say 24 square inches in free area? Most of us would be able to pick up and look at some air vent grilles and choose one at least roughly right, I bet.

Who here would be easily able to select an air vent grille 15,484 square millimetres in free area though just by picking up and looking at some, and estimating the free area?

Unless first I told you the 24 square inch one is the same, that is.

Selective example - likewise, it’s way easier to envisage 20m than 65ft 7 13/32”. Picking a round number in one unit and then saying another unit is hard to understand because it doesn’t equate to another round number makes no sense. 

Fractional measurements are a nightmare. 

I work in temporary electrics and all cable lengths are (almost) universally marked in metres. As literally everything is metric it makes sense; marquee A frames are 5m apart, truss is made in 1m lengths, CAD plans are in mm etc. Some dinosaur based companies use feet on their cables and I have a much harder time with lengths…

6 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

A PLB will get the rescuers to within 20 metres (often much better) using the 406Mhz signal & GPS location, and then using the 121.5 VHF homer beacon it can get the rescuers to within 'single figure' feet. It also has a flashing SOS light to aid rescue in darkness.

And are Mountain Rescue or Low Land Rescue or the Ambulance Service, for example, equipped with such receivers?

6 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Once you've 'pushed the button' anywhere in the world the nearest SAR facility is informed and the helicopters can be in the air in 5 minutes.

Oink, oink, flutter, flutter!

• Love 1

1 hour ago, Graham Davis said:

and are Mountain Rescue or Low Land Rescue or the Ambulance Service, for example, equipped with such receivers?

Whilst I have no idea if all MRTs etc are so equippped certainly Snowdon are (were), They are provided with them FoC by the manufacturer (its good advertising) and the Helicopter SAR teams certainly have 121.5 trackers as it is the international 'guard frequency' that all aircraft (including commercial jets) are fitted with.

Circa 20 years ago we had a family summer holiday in Ibiza. I was learning Spanish at the time and used to buy the local daily newspaper to practice. We had some unseasonable heavy rain that caused local flooding. In the various newspaper reports,  the depths of the flood waters were expressed, not in metric, but as so many pulgadas, palmos or manos ( thumbs [inches], palms [3"] and hands [4"]).

Edited by Ronaldo47
typos

17 hours ago, Machpoint005 said:

Wrong, I'm afraid.

Divide any (positive) number by a very small (positive) number indeed, and you get a very large number indeed.

Divide the number you first thought of by zero, the smallest positive number there is, then logically you get the largest number you possibly can, otherwise known as infinity.

Alternatively, you get an undefined value, whereby division by zero gives whatever number you want. That, as I understand it, is why computers return division by zero as an error.

Zero, however, has no units and no dimensions. Strictly speaking there is, for example, no such distance as zero metres -- it's just no distance.

Alas, not true. If two object share the same position then the distance between them is zero. Zero is a proper number (integer or real) that is between all of the negative numbers and all of the positive ones (of which there is an infinity of both) In the same way, an object that is not moving (perhaps relative to something else) has zero speed. When accelerating or decelerating there is a moment between plus and minus which is zero speed. It may, or may not, last for an infinitesimal or finite time.