Boat Index/directory

Silent Flight

Featured Posts

2 hours ago, Owls Den said:

What is this little cruiser with a sloping transom ?

E9BF4446-933A-470F-9291-F79E1C5567A2.jpeg

0FF96216-525F-4EEA-8D70-03C33DF78CD0.jpeg

Its called a 'Canoe stern' very common on sailing boats and early power boats, Improves performance, reduces drag. 

Pretty much irrelevant for a 'square' steel tubed narrowboat - maybe they just found the lines pleasing.

1974 Sparkman & Stephens 34 Sail New and Used Boats for Sale | Sailing ...

Edited by Alan de Enfield

I would call it an upswept stern. Canoe stern is usually associated with craft which have a rounded back end but not the slope. 

Salters steamers have this type of stern but I don't know if they call it a canoe stern. Maybe they do. 

This is the inspection lunch I keep on the country estate. Photo was from a number of yars ago but it is basically the same 

IMG_20230430_151318.jpg.0791be3eef7bd1083e23d12795d1c341.jpg

1 hour ago, magnetman said:

I would call it an upswept stern. Canoe stern is usually associated with craft which have a rounded back end but not the slope. 

Salters steamers have this type of stern but I don't know if they call it a canoe stern. Maybe they do. 

This is the inspection lunch I keep on the country estate. Photo was from a number of yars ago but it is basically the same 

IMG_20230430_151318.jpg.0791be3eef7bd1083e23d12795d1c341.jpg

Wait what you have an inspection launch on a country estate?

Are you a Baron or something M’lud 

2 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Its called a 'Canoe stern' very common on sailing boats and early power boats, Improves performance, reduces drag. 

Pretty much irrelevant for a 'square' steel tubed narrowboat - maybe they just found the lines pleasing.

1974 Sparkman & Stephens 34 Sail New and Used Boats for Sale | Sailing ...

What a loverly retrousse transom.

1 hour ago, MtB said:

Clever the way it stays moored up at 90 degrees to the bank. I doubt any of mine would do that unless there was a pontoon involved! 

As is typical with yachty boats you moor up both bow and stern.

In the Med.  you follow a rib thru the marina to your given mooring, reverse into the mooring and a 'boy' in the Rib gives you your bow line which is anchored forward of the mooring.

You can see the Foward mooring buoys in the picture.

56 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

As is typical with yachty boats you moor up both bow and stern.

In the Med.  you follow a rib thru the marina to your given mooring, reverse into the mooring and a 'boy' in the Rib gives you your bow line which is anchored forward of the mooring.

You can see the Foward mooring buoys in the picture.

The narrow boats in Battlebridge Basin were moored the same way. Sterns on to the bank, bows roped together and a couple of mooring buoys each end roughly in line with the bows. And each mooring buoy was attached to an old engine block on the bottom of the basin - the cylinder heads had been removed and I was told the projecting head studs helped stop the thing being dragged across the bottom.

• Greenie 1
  • Happy 1

On 30/04/2023 at 20:03, David Mack said:

The narrow boats in Battlebridge Basin were moored the same way. Sterns on to the bank, bows roped together and a couple of mooring buoys each end roughly in line with the bows. And each mooring buoy was attached to an old engine block on the bottom of the basin - the cylinder heads had been removed and I was told the projecting head studs helped stop the thing being dragged across the bottom.

Hawne Basin is like that today. Rafts of boats on all sides. I don't know what the buoys are tied to though!

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.4574826,-2.0403864,138m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en

On 30/04/2023 at 16:11, magnetman said:

I'd agree - to a greater or lesser extent a canoe stern echoes the shape of a canoe, as one would expect:

th-2.jpg

th-3.jpg

Edited by Tam & Di

On 27/04/2023 at 17:21, Ray T said:

Built by a few different builders over the years. Reeves and Pinder being two of them

Also the now defunct Probuild, which as I understand it is in some way related (in a familial sense) to Reeves

Edited by sigsegv

I saw an odd bow the other day on a boat named 'Spider' - rather dilapidated, "G. J. C. Co. lettering', moored inside a rusty Dutch barge on the Trent near Beeston.

The stem post is angled backward at a constant angle from the waterline.Seems ideal for ramming but not for a narrowboat. Rest of the boat looks like a fairly normal trad hull.

It was difficult to get a picture in its position but I'll try on the way back up.

EDIT: thanks to @magnetman, it's clearly a replica of this one http://www.steamershistorical.co.uk/steamers_spider.htm:

image001.jpg

Edited by Francis Herne
  • Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Francis Herne said:

I saw an odd bow the other day on a boat named 'Spider' - rather dilapidated, "G. J. C. Co. lettering', moored inside a rusty Dutch barge on the Trent near Beeston.

The stem post is angled backward at a constant angle from the waterline.Seems ideal for ramming but not for a narrowboat. Rest of the boat looks like a fairly normal trad hull.

It was difficult to get a picture in its position but I'll try on the way back up.

EDIT: thanks to @magnetman, it's clearly a replica of this one http://www.steamershistorical.co.uk/steamers_spider.htm:

image001.jpg

If ever I have another one built, I'm having the bow done like that. 

A delightfully elegant hull in every way. 

Another unsusual type was the replica Bridgewater canal tugs put together by John Rickaby in the 80's.

They had Kelvin engines in a front engine room with hyrdaulic drive. I was offered one of the boats (wooden cabin steel hull) complete with Kelvin for a very good price but the cabin seemed to dodgy.

Someone bought it and tidied it up, tool the Kelvin out and I think it has a Beta Marine or something in it now.

Quite nice I think there were possibly three of them built.

Frodsham was the one for sale on the Wey a few yars ago for a very attractive price.

[img]https://boats-from.co.uk/sites/default/files/styles/large2/public/products-images/2017-10/103307/103307-92924.jpg[img]

frodsham on basinstoke.jpg

• Greenie 2
  • Horror 1

1 hour ago, magnetman said:

Another unsusual type was the replica Bridgewater canal tugs put together by John Rickaby in the 80's.

They had Kelvin engines in a front engine room with hyrdaulic drive. I was offered one of the boats (wooden cabin steel hull) complete with Kelvin for a very good price but the cabin seemed to dodgy.

Someone bought it and tidied it up, tool the Kelvin out and I think it has a Beta Marine or something in it now.

Quite nice I think there were possibly three of them built.

Frodsham was the one for sale on the Wey a few yars ago for a very attractive price.

[img]https://boats-from.co.uk/sites/default/files/styles/large2/public/products-images/2017-10/103307/103307-92924.jpg[img]

frodsham on basinstoke.jpg

Thats a huge horn - it looks like a fog-horn from from a Lighthhouse

On 28/04/2023 at 12:30, magnetman said:

Back on topic are there any narrow boat bows which are unique and never done before or since?

This one has a rather unusual front end, though probably not unique. Up for sale on FB at the mo.

343516747_790699945491276_8590483528691368434_n.jpg

343510794_6542338059132574_3965756135556600585_n.jpg

• Greenie 1