Bow thruster and hobbit stove

peterselby

Featured Posts

11 minutes ago, cuthound said:

I don't think the peltier cell on an eco fan is powerful enough to drive a bow thruster and the Hobbit, being a small.stove isn't big enough for several eco fans... 😅😂

Tou dont need several, just one that swivels round with a pull on a long piece of string from the back end

Hi I’m sorry I do not know how this works I have a 57feet canal boat just bought it it has diesel heating I would like to have a hobbit coal burning stove fitted? And also a bow thruster my boat is in leeds does anyone know anyone one who can help I have seen side thrusters advertised that do not require the boat to be lifted out of the water? 

• Happy 1

I have a 57 ft narrowboat, it has Webasto with two biggish rads, heats water and warms boat.

I would suggest a good sized multi fuel stove with a back boiler, and a small radiator.

My stove is on all winter 24/7 as I liveaboard and this is keeping boat warm all day, and night!

Even with foam insulation the boat cools quickly in winter. 

14 minutes ago, peterselby said:

Hi I’m sorry I do not know how this works I have a 57feet canal boat just bought it it has diesel heating I would like to have a hobbit coal burning stove fitted? And also a bow thruster my boat is in leeds does anyone know anyone one who can help I have seen side thrusters advertised that do not require the boat to be lifted out of the water? 

Unless the boat was built and fitted out with a bow thruster as an option, you may well find fitting on would be very difficult. You need a large steel tube running across the boat, say 6" diameter, so once the fit out is done there is often no space. Large holes need cutting in the hull and the tube welding in so the boat really does need coming out of the water. Have you a link to the side thrusters you talk of?

What sort of lavatory has the boat got? 

I'd check this out before worrying about other things. 

Obviously bow thrusters are not needed.

Due to the time of the yar the heating is gradually getting less critical (my fire is going though). 

54 minutes ago, peterselby said:

I have seen side thrusters advertised that do not require the boat to be lifted out of the water? 

Yes, I keep a couple on the roof. 😀

• Greenie 1

8 hours ago, Jon57 said:

Should we have a pole 😁

we find a Romanian better at thrusting. The Bulgarian was rather a disappointment TBH. 

Its -1 c this morning, thank goodness as it’s making the canals nice and peaceful for a change. 😊

A bow thruster is simply not needed, enjoy developing skill at the helm. It’s another place to rust, another battery consumer and something else to go wrong. 

• Greenie 2

Went to look at a Hobbit stove last week, they're made just up the road from us. They're good stoves and the people who make them will help you plan the fitting. But there's a 3 month lead time on them at the moment. And the guy that makes their boat fitting kits - roof collars etc - has just retired so you'd have to source those bits elsewhere.

If you're ordering one of them I'd wait for a couple of weeks until after I've ordered mine so that you're not in front off me in the queue 😬

• Happy 1