Vinyl records, are they waterproof?

matty40s

Featured Posts

6 minutes ago, matty40s said:

So what really happened, did he not put the weed hatch back on properly, how did an elderly couple tow a sunk boat and the moor it up? Me thinks the writer was imagining things a bit 

There was a stoppage notice for a sunk boat a couple of days ago, then the next day a notice saying it had been raised,.

I met this boat going over the summit a while ago, very new to boating but full of ideas and energy.

I am not aware that the canal was ever drained for maintanance below Littleborough, but then newspaper articles are rarely accurate.,

Its a very small boat so I think it was left unattennded every night which is a bit risky as you get closer to Manchester.

Vynil records, are they dyslexic?

Yes, vinyl records are waterproof, but their labels are often not. So you can play the record but you may not know what it is.

Thew sleeves aren't waterproof either. Obviously, die-cut 45 sleeves will disintegrate quickly if saturated; many L.P. sleeves are laminated, but only on the outside, so water will seep in from the inside and severely distress them.

• Greenie 1

If he has any Northern Soul I think they used to hide the labels anyway! 

As a collector of vinyl I find this slightly sad, and I admire the guys fortitude in carrying on - as to whether the records are a write-off, well if someone offered me a rare Jacques Brel pressing with no sleeve and no label I'd take it, in fact, I've got 78s that are a bit like that. 

Hope he can pick up the pieces and make a success of his business 

• Greenie 1

12 minutes ago, Chris T said:
His Go Fund Me page says: "I hit catastrophe at the last hurdle and a rug or mattress caught on the propellor and popped my stern gland. Sadly the boat sank and I lost all my records and equipment."

What does "popped my stern gland" mean. I don't see how a damaged stern gland can sink an occupied boat fast enough so the records could not have been got out of it. Sounds more like a hull failure to me, unless the shaft pulled out of the coupling and the out of the boat, but how that could happen with the prop on seems odd.

No idea. His comments are that the boat will need "a full refit inside, new engine, new stock, and new equipment". No mention of hull work. Over £3,500 raised already though, so the slightly odd Manchester Evening News article has obviously helped him.  

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, magpie patrick said:

If he has any Northern Soul I think they used to hide the labels anyway! 

Hope he can pick up the pieces and make a success of his business 

Yes, the "cover-up", done by DJs to preserve the exclusivity of a rare and desirable record. For example, an instrumantal called 'Double Cooking' was known for years by fans as 'Strings A Go Go' until someone stumbled upon another copy and revealed its true title.

I do hope that he was well insured, so that he can get his business going again.

I was interested to learn that there's more than one waterborne vinyl dealer on the canals: some of you may have come cross Luke, a very tall fellow who operates 'The Record Deck'. I think he's still in business.

9 hours ago, Athy said:

Yes, vinyl records are waterproof, but their labels are often not. So you can play the record but you may not know what it is.

Thew sleeves aren't waterproof either. Obviously, die-cut 45 sleeves will disintegrate quickly if saturated; many L.P. sleeves are laminated, but only on the outside, so water will seep in from the inside and severely distress them.

Also, canal water is not known for its purity so dirt and grime will get into the grooves making the LP noisy at best.  They will need to be cleaned by a solution and vacuum cleaning machine and/or an ultrasound cleaning machine.

13 minutes ago, Athy said:

I was interested to learn that there's more than one waterborne vinyl dealer on the canals: 

I can't remember  which one it was, but a couple of years ago I was minding my own business walking at Dundas aqueduct when this boat appeared, the contents of which dragged me inside, forcibly opened my wallet and sent me on my way with around a dozen vinyl records... ;) 

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, magpie patrick said:

I can't remember  which one it was, but a couple of years ago I was minding my own business walking at Dundas aqueduct when this boat appeared, the contents of which dragged me inside, forcibly opened my wallet and sent me on my way with around a dozen vinyl records... ;) 

I assume you didn't go for "Stand and Deliver (your money or your life)"?

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, magpie patrick said:

You' remember Luke. He's about six feet four tall by one foot wide. A most pleasant fellow.

32 minutes ago, churchward said:

Also, canal water is not known for its purity so dirt and grime will get into the grooves making the LP noisy at best.  They will need to be cleaned by a solution and vacuum cleaning machine and/or an ultrasound cleaning machine.

Not all records have spent their lives sitting demurely in clean, civilised households, and the onslaught of dust, dirt, smoke, greasy finger marks, beer spillage and whatever to which many have been subjected is probably more damaging than canal water. Washing them in tepid, soapy water and wiping them round with a J-cloth usually removes much of such residue; the next stage up is applying lighter fuel to them and wiping them vigorously. For tough stains, isopropyl (sp?) alcohol can work wonders.

I have heard of the method which you mention but have never invested in that type of equipment.

10 hours ago, Athy said:

But presumably he can now advertise a good selection of 'pot luck' records where you take your chance on an anonymous blank black disc and become the proud owner of a random piece of music.

• Greenie 1

10 hours ago, dmr said:

There was a stoppage notice for a sunk boat a couple of days ago, then the next day a notice saying it had been raised,.

I met this boat going over the summit a while ago, very new to boating but full of ideas and energy.

I am not aware that the canal was ever drained for maintanance below Littleborough, but then newspaper articles are rarely accurate.,

Its a very small boat so I think it was left unattennded every night which is a bit risky as you get closer to Manchester.

Doubly risky with his records on board quite sad saga so far 

8 minutes ago, David Mack said:

But presumably he can now advertise a good selection of 'pot luck' records where you take your chance on an anonymous blank black disc and become the proud owner of a random piece of music.

Well that's what I'd do - even if he only gets a pound a piece he'd get £1,000 back on his loss

And yes I would buy a box of ten label-less records for a tenner "just because...." 

10 minutes ago, David Mack said:

You'd make a great record salesman.

5 minutes ago, dmr said:

The grooves will be full of Newton Hearth silt, I wonder what it will sound like?

A Mud 45 perhaps? Or if you're luckier, Muddy Waters?

Or even something by that dyslexic female punk group The Silts?

I'm reminded of the Liverpool DUKW accident a few years ago. They got a tyre wedged in the blades; before stalling the engine it tore a bracket supporting the prop shaft out of the (very rusty) hull, which left a big hole and sank the vessel.

I agree it's not obvious what the failure point could be on a barge. Assuming it *is* a 'barge' given the usual standard of journalism.

Edited by Francis Herne
  • Greenie 1

1 minute ago, Francis Herne said:

I'm reminded of the Liverpool DUKW accident a few years ago. They got a tyre wedged in the blades, and before stalling the engine it tore a bracket supporting the prop shaft out of the (very rusty) hull, which left a big hole and sank the vessel.

I agree it's not obvious what the failure point could be on a barge. Assuming it *is* a 'barge' given the usual standard of journalism.

I is a very short old narrowboat, there is a photo if you follow the link in the first post. It was out of the water, possibly at Sowerby Bridge, for a while and I believe they did quite a lot of work on it.

5 minutes ago, Athy said:

I remember there was a tecchnique/fad amongst the HiFi crowd for playing records wet to remove the cracks and pops due to static.

• Horror 1

11 minutes ago, Athy said:

Or even something by that dyslexic female punk group The Silts?

Reminds me of the dyslexic boater slogan:

"Dyslexic boaters of the world, untie!"

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Athy said:

We used to make plant pots out of old 78's.

Put them in a pan of hot / boiling water and they went soft - you could then mould them to whatever shape you wanted - and YES - they were waterproof (except for the 'hole' in the bottom of the plant pot).

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

We used to make plant pots out of old 78's.

Put them in a pan of hot / boiling water and they went soft - you could then mould them to whatever shape you wanted - and YES - they were waterproof (except for the 'hole' in the bottom of the plant pot).

And the trend some years back for attaching cheap battery driven clock motors to the back and red hands on the front.