Hotchkiss Cones - 'For every craft of every draft'

davidwheeler

Featured Posts

10 hours ago, MtB said:

What sort of vessel is this on? It's hard to tell from the photo.

Sorry, small tugs, I think they were used for the dredging work on the Caldon belonging to Canal and River  services, I may have the name slightly wrong 

image.thumb.png.8e938145fd80fee1703721b03b1c26b1.png

40 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Sorry, small tugs, I think they were used for the dredging work on the Caldon belonging to Canal and River  services, I may have the name slightly wrong 

image.thumb.png.8e938145fd80fee1703721b03b1c26b1.png

Thanks. Its a curious looking boat. Looks as though those things are a later addition, bolted onto the back of the craft rather than for propulsion. 

I'm inclined to agree with the previous suggestion they are for weed cutting and the boat has some other form of propulsion.

specifically designed to snag stuff so 

1 hour ago, magnetman said:

They look like hydraulically driven archimedes screw propellers. 

I think these are for propulsion use in very shallow or badly fouled water. 

They are hydraulic and lifted like you would an outboard, easy to clear unlike the blanket I just picked up. Probably Archimedes Screw is the correct term thinking about it.

A system built in Brighouse in 1921, followed by a drawing of one of Barcroft's 1890s semi-immersible designs. Several were used on Irish waterways as a cheap way to convert a horse boat. His calculations suggested that not a lot of power was lost.

1921 propellor 1.jpg

IMGP1199.jpg

• Greenie 1

• 4 weeks later...

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/797960758223402/?ref=search&referral_code=null&referral_story_type=post&locale=en_GB

"70ft Oak canal boat, been out of the water 5 years. Boat is believed to be built in the 1940s. Purchased with the intention of renovation but change of circumstances forces sale. Boat is complete with Enfield Engine and hotchkiss propulsion system. Can’t guarantee fully working condition. This would be ideal to break down into oak lengths for multiple uses. Please Contact Rod on [hidden information] with enquires and viewings. Located Rednal near Oswestry Shropshire."

Not a floaty sort of boat but still interesting. 

4 hours ago, magnetman said:

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/797960758223402/?ref=search&referral_code=null&referral_story_type=post&locale=en_GB

"70ft Oak canal boat, been out of the water 5 years. Boat is believed to be built in the 1940s. Purchased with the intention of renovation but change of circumstances forces sale. Boat is complete with Enfield Engine and hotchkiss propulsion system. Can’t guarantee fully working condition. This would be ideal to break down into oak lengths for multiple uses. Please Contact Rod on [hidden information] with enquires and viewings. Located Rednal near Oswestry Shropshire."

Not a floaty sort of boat but still interesting. 

I believe this to be Chance II..

Is it made of oak wood? 

I don't know all that much about wooden narrow boats but did think they were usually made of elm wood.  

The advert is claiming oak and that it could be useful timber. 

Just now, magnetman said:

Is it made of oak wood? 

I don't know all that much about wooden narrow boats but did think they were usually made of elm wood.  

The advert is claiming oak and that it could be useful timber. 

Most wooden Narrow boats are made with Oak sides and an Elm Bottom the time I knew this boat she never took in water.

Her timbers looked good so all I can say is that for the last twenty years she could not have been cared for.