George ward eviction taking place

kris88

Featured Posts

16 minutes ago, magnetman said:

Can you please quote the puerile parts. 

Thanks. 

I am very happy to be described as puerile. Obviously something is going right in my life as in my head I am 11 yars old.

I am interested to know why having a theory that canals will gradually get sold off in favour of alternative land use would come under the "puerile" heading. 

The @Orwellian speech police controller is taking us back to 1984. Best ignore him, it'slong gone.

Edited by Jim Riley
  • Greenie 1

I don't ignore anyone and never have. 

I want to know why in this thread I have been puerile. 

It is important to get feedback on these things.

ETA I assumed the username was Ian from Orwell nothing to do with the writer. 

34 minutes ago, Mike Tee said:

Is today the day? Pitchforks and self-immolation? Again.

Crt haven’t had enough meetings about it yet. 
plus they will have to book cbs and a crane again. I’d say it will be six months before they turn up again. 

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Mike Tee said:

Is today the day? Pitchforks and self-immolation? Again.

According to the nice man from CRT in his confusing letter which I have now analysed and put some dates to, CRT require Mr Ward to remove his boat from CRT waters by 2nd May 2023 (i.e. today). 

The nice man from CRT goes on to say that in the unlikely event of Mr Ward overlooking this requirement, CRT will kindly remove it for him at his expense on an unspecified day between 2nd May 2023 and 21st May 2023.

The letter is silent on the possibility of this date being put back should Mr Ward advise (again) that he will stab with his garden fork anyone coming near his boat, or simply refuse to get off the boat when requested.

I hope that clarifies matters. 

• Greenie 2
  • Happy 2

• 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, Bod said:

Yes, so we see from the other thread! 

Mr Ward in his interview video seemed to consider the CRT chaps rather cheated by running along the towpath, thereby catching him "unawares", shouting at him and not giving him a chance to get back on his boat to defend it. 

As someone says in the comments under the article, he skilfully presents the impression of bewildered innocence as though CRT didn't entirely play fair, and he should be given another try at it. 

• Greenie 1

All rather predictable really. I think getting the boat going and moving would have been wise but if its been there ten yars maybe the engine is in a parlous state.

Looks like an old Bantock for end. Would make a nice bow section for a new boat. Very pretty those old Bantocks.

20 minutes ago, magnetman said:

All rather predictable really. I think getting the boat going and moving would have been wise but if its been there ten yars maybe the engine is in a parlous state.

Looks like an old Bantock for end. Would make a nice bow section for a new boat. Very pretty those old Bantocks.

They are 

But I couldn’t pause the video to clearly see if it is a Bantock. 
At a glance it looked like a nice rounded pointy end 

27 minutes ago, magnetman said:

And presumably soon to be joining another Bantock fore end at Commercial Boat Services yard in Cheshire.

38 minutes ago, Goliath said:

They are 

But I couldn’t pause the video to clearly see if it is a Bantock. 
At a glance it looked like a nice rounded pointy end 

Yes I noticed in a picture you put up that your front end is a Bantock. I used to own a full length one which still had the original back end and had been motorised. Lovely boat but too much for me as it had a wooden cabin.

The Bradford on Avon boat has the 3 inch wide strakes which is a Bantock feature although some Yarwood boats had them too.

Could be a Yarwood station boat.

34 minutes ago, David Mack said:

And presumably soon to be joining another Bantock fore end at Commercial Boat Services yard in Cheshire.

Probably. Greenwalls Farm, Dodleston. Gmaps says 3.5h from BoA so probably a bit more for a truck.

Looks like an early Bantock to me.

Screenshot 2023-05-11 at 17-57-46 LIVE Boater finally evicted in morning raid after long standing row.png

Screenshot2023-05-11at18-03-13Homelesscanalboaterrevealshowaggressivesecurityfinallymanagedtoevicthim.png.febe24ad9688c813e5f4e03f56db1ed2.png

I wonder if it will survive or be left to rot at Greenwalls.

• Greenie 1

10 minutes ago, Paul C said:

The comments on the news article don't look too positive for him. 

I don't expect he has much to look forward to, all very sad, but there will always be people who don't conform , though most manage to sign up to whatever benefits are available.

5 hours ago, magnetman said:

Looks like an early Bantock to me.

Screenshot 2023-05-11 at 17-57-46 LIVE Boater finally evicted in morning raid after long standing row.png

I wonder if it will survive or be left to rot at Greenwalls.

Also looks to me as though its already half rotted away.

I suspect Mr Ward might never have got around to docking and blacking it last year (or the year before).

3 hours ago, Paul C said:

The comments on the news article don't look too positive for him. 

Comments on the pages of local news pages are normally posted by people with a lower intelligence than your average tortoise.

Valueless.

8 hours ago, MtB said:

Also looks to me as though its already half rotted away.

I suspect Mr Ward might never have got around to docking and blacking it last year (or the year before).

Out of water. It is nackered yes but possibly useable. 

I expect it will probably get scrapped. I wonder if wrought iron might be worth more than normal steel. 

6983506CanalBoatEviction.jpg.gallery.jpg.a99fac5b7f954311a74426e0a05bc57c.jpg

Intriguing that the stern swim on this boat is rivetted rather than the more predictable welded steel job. 

It might be a very early motor conversion.

I wonder what engine it has - could be something special in there. 

Rivets everywhere. 

IMG_20230512_083227.jpg.692dc57a62fa7080735b36dab82580a6.jpg

Was this by any chance an early conversion from a horse boat (Bantock) into a short working canal tug? As it is riveted this seems to put it right back to the early days of motorised narrow boats. 

• Greenie 1

That riveted counter with relatively crude lines looks very similar to the pleasure narrow boats built by Harris on the Bumblehole arm. Harris were old fashioned boatbuilders, and when the rest of the world had moved onto welding they stuck with riveting as it was all they knew.

As such it's a boat that deserves a future, albeit that it may need some work. Let's hope CBS price it at a level that makes that worthwhile for somebody.

• Greenie 4

19 hours ago, David Mack said:

That riveted counter with relatively crude lines looks very similar to the pleasure narrow boats built by Harris on the Bumblehole arm. Harris were old fashioned boatbuilders, and when the rest of the world had moved onto welding they stuck with riveting as it was all they knew.

As such it's a boat that deserves a future, albeit that it may need some work. Let's hope CBS price it at a level that makes that worthwhile for somebody.

It is definitely an interesting hull. CanalPlan has it, described as a Bantock which looks correct but the conversion is unusual and it would make the basis for a decent boat, albeit possibly with some challenging repair work needed.

I fear however that CBS will not price it at a sensible level for what it is, judging by the pricing of the other boats currently listed and how long they have been for sale in a rising market. On the plus side, being on hardstanding makes it easy to get a survey, and the fact that they are slow moving means you probably have time to get a surveyor in before someone else snaps them up. It is also not a bad part of the world to get a good surveyor to with experience of challenging historic boats. On the minus side, the prices seem to be significantly higher that for comparable boats and you also have to add road transport and craneage, although since CBS is clearly capable of this, I wonder whether a deal could be done.

I fear however that on this particular boat there will be a desire to ensure that the price does not enable it to be bought, dumped in the water and eventually abandoned. This means pricing high, but there are equivalent historic boats about which pop up from time to time and would be more cost-effective.

I am presuming that the inside is squalid and will need completely gutting (possibly whilst wearing a Tyvek suit, into biohazard bags for burning). I am also presuming that it would be very difficult to create something which does justice to the hull without completely replacing the cabin. The boat was last registered as unpowered so probably does not have an engine currently fitted. With that in mind, you would really only be buying the hull, with a lot of stripping down work before you could get started. Personally, even in today's market I wouldn't think more than £5k, or £10k if the hull is actually fairly sound. I would guess they will pitch it at more like £20k, judging by Equus, at which point it will sit and rot in a field.

Alec

4 minutes ago, agg221 said:

Personally, even in today's market I wouldn't think more than £5k, or £10k if the hull is actually fairly sound. I would guess they will pitch it at more like £20k, judging by Equus, at which point it will sit and rot in a field.

Given the EQUUS was on at £33k last time I looked, I'd say MARCH HARE being a longer but comparable boat in worse condition may well come on at similar money. Especially given the point you make about it being in CRT's interests to see it cut up rather than sold.