George ward eviction taking place

kris88

Featured Posts

10 minutes ago, Orwellian said:

What property development company would want to take on an organisation where only 22% of the income came from property? And if as you say 'the DEFRA thing is torpedoed' where would the capital come from to 'move even more to real estate'? Property development or investment companies would only be interested in acquiring CRT's property assets but without the massive liability of looking after the waterways.

Obviously the CRT isn't a property development company per se because they were formed after the BWB became defunct. 

I don't think it is a fallacious argument to suggest that in effect they are moving in that direction. 

My theory is that canals will eventually be sold or franchised. I'm sure the CRT 'own' a heck of a lot of land which someone else could do something with and generate profit. 

We are basically talking about a company which appears to be a charity which has a huge amount of land and property. 

Canals are just land which someone put water on top of at some point. Nothing else happening there. 

It is impossible to predict what will happen in the future so in that regard nobody has a clue what they are talking about. 

If you can claim clairvoyant skills then you're just making it up. 

CRT is a land owner. Land is valuable and trust me it will become a whole lot more valuable in this country over time. Yes they have responsibility for maintaining waterways currently but do you really think this is set in stone and not subject to change over time? 

• Greenie 2

3 hours ago, Goliath said:

Well, my other comment when I called you an idiot was deleted. 

occasionally over sensitive types complain to the mods. 😃

I ignored you calling me an idiot, it wasn’t me that complained. 
I thought it said more about you than it did about me 🤷‍♀️

• Greenie 2

1 hour ago, Orwellian said:

Stop digging!

Actually in some cases I think he is correct, I am on a navigation it now only has a few boats a year passing through and the exol pride once a week. Who would miss these bits of water? They would if filled in be worth good money and the river would still be there. The savings would be massive and it's a lot of land from Sheffield to say new Junction. Think of the income it could generate and the housing land it could provide 

Edited by peterboat

17 minutes ago, kris88 said:

Kind of proves they are trying to become a property development company. 

No it doesn't. There's no dispute that CRT's property arm carries out property development. What does that particular statistic show?

4 hours ago, kris88 said:

Kind of proves they are trying to become a property development company. 

It shows they have a property development strategy. Seems a sensible thing to do, to me. The income will support their core activity of maintaining the navigation, which is insufficiently funded for a variety of reasons.

I'd be more inclined to criticise and condemn them if they were NOT wringing maximum income from of their land and assets to support their core obligations.

The rental income from those 2,501 residential units probably approaches £20m a year. Good for them, I say.

• Greenie 2

26 minutes ago, magnetman said:

Well tomorrow is the 2nd of May. 

Was this the latest 'deadline'?

If nothing happens the CRT are going to look incompetent. People will notice. 

Yes and no.

In typical woolly CRT style, yes Mr Aymes (for CRT) says in his letter to Mr Ward the deadline for removal is 2nd May 2023, but then goes on to dilute this statement by saying:

"The removal will take place not less than seven days and not more than 27 days after the date of this letter."

The letter is dated 24th April 2023, so in this sentence he seems to extend the deadline to 21st May 2023 (by my arithmetic). 

https://www.wiltshiretimes.co.uk/news/23473777.boater-nine-hour-standoff-given-new-canal-river-trust-deadline/

And I suspect unless Mr Ward is arrested and forcibly removed from his boat, it will just be a replay of the last fiasco. 

Edited by MtB
  • Greenie 1

41 minutes ago, MtB said:

It shows they have a property development strategy. Seems a sensible thing to do, to me. The income will support their core activity of maintaining the navigation, which is insufficiently funded for a variety of reasons.

I'd be more inclined to criticise and condemn them if they were NOT wringing maximum income from of their land and assets to support their core obligations.

The rental income from those 2,501 residential units probably approaches £20m a year. Good for them, I say.

What happens if they sell the houses invest in more land for building? Of course they don't use profits for navigations but for more property?

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, peterboat said:

What happens if they sell the houses invest in more land for building? Of course they don't use profits for navigations but for more property?

Brilliant. The future of the canals gets better funded and more secure.

41 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Are you suggesting this is a new strategy?

No its just the way it seems to be going currently! Higher licence fees moorings up 43% in some areas gets rid of boaters who would spoil the grand plan 

• Greenie 1

4 minutes ago, Orwellian said:

No need because they're not. They're just peurile.

Can you please quote the puerile parts. 

Thanks. 

I am very happy to be described as puerile. Obviously something is going right in my life as in my head I am 11 yars old.

I am interested to know why having a theory that canals will gradually get sold off in favour of alternative land use would come under the "puerile" heading. 

• Greenie 1