Extreme Canals - north south east west

Featured Posts

10 hours ago, Captain Pegg said:

Good question.

How about Longwood Junction to Sharpness via Horseley Fields and Aldersley Junction?

Or go the other way at Aldersley and head to Ellesmere Port.

Assuming we count the Severn above Gloucester as non-tidal (which it can be if you pick the right day) then I guess it may be longer to turn left at Horseley Fields, follow the Wolverhampton level to Spon Lane, cut back down Spon Lane locks, turn left at Bromford and head to Kings Norton then via the Startford and Avon to Tewkesbury and onward to Sharpness.

I'm going to have to consult CanalPlan.

You can get from Longwood to Poolstock bottom lock via the SU without going uphill. That's over 131 miles.

We've missed a critical point that @Loddon got. Glocester lock is uphill.

It's further from Marston Doles to Teddington and at 138 miles it beats my suggestion of Longwood to Poolstock.

Top of Foxton to Cromwell lock via Hawkesbury? I make that about 150 miles all down hill.

2 hours ago, David Mack said:

And non tidal before 1968, when the direct connection to the Limehouse Cut was made.

Good point.  But for about 10 years from 1854 there was an earlier link between cut and basin.

I didn't visit before 1968 but in the early 1970s there was a guillotine gate in Limehouse Cut to separate Regent's Canal Dock from Bow Locks.  I don't recall the guillotine being used, but if it had been, the Dock would have been less frequently subject to the tide, which mostly came through Bow Locks and flooded the surrounding area.

Less frequently the Thames could open the lock gates of the Dock if the tide was high, so it would have remained quarter(?) tidal.

Seems a bit odd that there is much difference in tidal height between Bow Locks and Limehouse Lock; I suppose they are quite widely separated by the Isle of Dogs 

24 minutes ago, Tacet said:

I didn't visit before 1968 but in the early 1970s there was a guillotine gate in Limehouse Cut to separate Regent's Canal Dock from Bow Locks.  I don't recall the guillotine being used, but if it had been, the Dock would have been less frequently subject to the tide, which mostly came through Bow Locks and flooded the surrounding area.

I think it was the other way round. Before the Thames Barrier at Woolwich was built there was a barrier across Bow Creek to protect the River Lee from the highest tides on the Thames. Such tides could freely enter Limehouse Basin (which had conventional mitre gates before the present smaller lock was built), so the guillotine gate was required to keep the tides in Limehouse Basin out of the Limehouse Cut. Both barriers became redundant on completion of the Woolwich barrier.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Ogwr said:

Llangollen to Ellesmere Port via Bridgewater/ M.S.C.  Ooops not continually southward

This is a trip of 128 miles, 5 furlongs and 35 locks from Llangollen Basin to Ellesmere Port Junction.

This will take 47 hours and 39 minutes which is 6 days, 5 hours and 39 minutes at 7 hours per day.

Edited by StephenA

• 3 weeks later...

The Dingwall Canal might have had a more permanent future thanks to the construction of the Dingwall and Skye Railway. During construction, plans were made to have a railway that conveyed fishing boats in railway wagons across to Skye. Serious plans were made and designs for wagons to hold the boats were made. Cranes were ordered for lifting the boats into and out of the water and at Garve the the track layout was made for the extra width needed to carry the craft. However, as the cost of construction required, throughout the line, for the additional width, the scheme went no further.

If we're allowed to include disused canals, then the most southerly would be a toss up between the Liskeard and Looe Canal, and Parnell's Canal.  I wouldn't like to say for sure which one had the more southerly terminus.

Edited by doratheexplorer

6 hours ago, doratheexplorer said:

If we're allowed to include disused canals, then the most southerly would be a toss up between the Liskeard and Looe Canal, and Parnell's Canal.  I wouldn't like to say for sure which one had the more southerly terminus.

Yes, I think you would need to look at Gridlines (and be sure where the terminus actually was) to determine that, a bit of a photo finish!