Where to get this fuel cap online?

Featured Posts

16 minutes ago, MtB said:

I dropped the clevis pin to a D shackle into the Thames at Oxford whilst adjusting my bow fender, and finally found a use for the Sea Searcher I've had aboard for 20 years.

I unfurled the Sea Searcher and after half an hour of using it unsuccessfully casting it into about 6ft depth of water I gave up, imagining it only works in the sea not in rivers.

But then I decided to have one last final cast of it into the murky water and bingo, got the clevis pin. Amazing! 

80p saved! 

I decided it was easier to haul my bow fender on the the bow deck than trying to fiddle with shackle in situ.

In my experience over the last four years if anything is suspended over water when it unsecured it will dive straight in to the muddy ditch.

Last year's Xmas slippers, one of a matched pair.

Spare bike key, the only one not on a float

The  litter picker used for retrieving small plastic bottles.

Best set of boat keys, not enough floats.

Household size matchbox.

Small adjustable spanner.

Bicycle.

Edited by LadyG

25 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I decided it was easier to haul my bow fender on the the bow deck than trying to fiddle with shackle in situ.

In my experience over the last four years if anything is suspended over water when it unsecured it will dive straight in to the muddy ditch.

Last year's Xmas slippers, one of a matched pair.

Spare bike key, the only one not on a float

The  litter picker used for retrieving small plastic bottles.

Household size matchbox.

Small adjustable spanner.

Bicycle.

Head off lump hammer while trying to drive mooring stake in...  😞

• Horror 1

BSP denominations are nominal. Pipes are supplied in different wall thicknesses (gas/water/steam qualities) and it is only the outside diameters that are to be considered.

Here's some BSP info from my screw threads book: nominal size/ outer  diameter (inches) / outer diameter (mm). For the usual taper thread, the diameter at the end will be somewhat smaller than the pipe diameter, but it could be a parallel thread.

1"        /  1.309" / 33.3

1 1/4" / 1.650" / 41.9

1 1/2" / 1.882" /  47.8

2"       /  2.347" / 59.6

2 1/2" / 2.960" / 75.2

3"         / 3.460" / 87.9

Edited by Ronaldo47
1" size added

31 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Ah, yes I've had this too. Back in about 1978 I learned the hard way that those cork balls are fekkin useless if you have more than about one key on the ring. 

My advice to anyone smug that their key ring will float when dropped in, to fill a bucket with water and test your keyring for buoyancy. I predict yours will sink, like mine did. 

• Haha 1

It is never necessary to drop keys in the water anyway. What you do is whenever you move your hand towards getting your keys you switch your brain to "I am not going to drop these" then you don't drop them. 

It doesn't happen if you follow this basic rule. 

Obviously bizarre random accidents can occur but they are vanishingly improbable. 

The float should be on one end of a long piece of cord, the keys on the other. Then you can hook the cord with a boathook even if it is under water.

A Bicycle?  how do you drop a bicycle in accidentally?    LadyG, your age is no concern but did you ever have anything to do with a larger boat?

Titanic?

• Greenie 1

9 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

The float should be on one end of a long piece of cord, the keys on the other. Then you can hook the cord with a boathook even if it is under water.

A Bicycle?  how do you drop a bicycle in accidentally?    LadyG, your age is no concern but did you ever have anything to do with a larger boat?

Titanic?

Or the Ever Given?

3 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

From the 1965 bye-laws:-

But as I recall there is another rule alongside those that says nothing must be thrown or allowed to fall into the canal, so fishing it back out would by doubling the fine for breach of byelaws.

Tam

• Greenie 1

46 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Titanic?

That was absolutely not my fault, it was leaning against the side of the painting shed when someone came to see me, he decided he needed to move it to get past it, I told him to be careful but he was not. I caught it just before it sank.

Edited by LadyG

I wasn’t t expecting it to be as heavy as it was and I had something else in my other hand and I’m a bit clumsy like that. I misread the tape, it must be 40mm instead. Oops. The female hex is correct. Thanks. Tried the magnet several times before accepting the futility. Gonna get a new one. 

On 15/04/2023 at 20:21, magnetman said:

It is never necessary to drop keys in the water anyway. What you do is whenever you move your hand towards getting your keys you switch your brain to "I am not going to drop these" then you don't drop them. 

It doesn't happen if you follow this basic rule. 

Obviously bizarre random accidents can occur but they are vanishingly improbable. 

Are you a betting person ??

On 15/04/2023 at 16:57, Goliath said:

If it’s made of steel why not get a magnet on it, or even a kids fishing  net ?

I don’t understand the extra work and cost of go getting one without attempting to retrieve it first. 

Wise idea. Thankfully a curious boater had a huge magnet. No cap found. Lots of other detritus, though

Just now, magnetman said:

No. 

I am woefully forgetful. I wish I could remind myself in advance before taking my keys out to remind myself to not drop them but alas 

• Happy 1

On 15/04/2023 at 16:28, magnetman said:

Get a stainless steel  or plastic one and don't drop it. 

The way to avoid dropping it each time you interact with it you reset your brain to think "do not drop this" and you won't drop it. 

Same with windlasses. 

plastic one 

https://www.plasticpipeshop.co.uk/1-12-Threaded-End-Cap-cw-EPDM-Seal_p_971.html

Stainless 

https://www.nero.co.uk/Catalogue/Fittings/Threaded-150lb-Fittings/BSP/Hexagon-Cap

Funny coincidence but different website 

On 15/04/2023 at 20:14, MtB said:

Ah, yes I've had this too. Back in about 1978 I learned the hard way that those cork balls are fekkin useless if you have more than about one key on the ring. 

My advice to anyone smug that their key ring will float when dropped in, to fill a bucket with water and test your keyring for buoyancy. I predict yours will sink, like mine did. 

That's exactly what we did following a conversation with the guys in the marina chandlery. It took 3 cork keyrings to support my essential boat keys

• Greenie 1

There are cork sanding blocks which are cheap and will not fit in any pocket, see Screwfix. Need to be drilled, also at Screwfix.

My current solution is two balls two door keys.

I have a a lot of floating rope which I use on my whistle and BW key, it can loop round my neck. It has one cork ball and I hand it over to shore person knowing it WILL float!

"    I misread the tape, it must be 40mm instead. Oops.  "  

40mm outside diameter is consistent with 1 1/4" BSP.    For  all pipe sizes of 1" and above, the thread pitch is 11 tpi. From the second photo in the original post, there are about 11 threads visible, making the thread length about one inch (25.4mm) . Transferring the 1"  dimension horizontally makes the outer diameter about 40mm, which means the thread  is  1 1 /4"  inch BSP, not 1 1/2" BSP. 

Edited by Ronaldo47
typos
  • Greenie 1

8 hours ago, Ronaldo47 said:

"    I misread the tape, it must be 40mm instead. Oops.  "  

40mm outside diameter is consistent with 1 1/4" BSP.    For  all pipe sizes of 1" and above, the thread pitch is 11 tpi. From the second photo in the original post, there are about 11 threads visible, making the thread length about one inch (25.4mm) . Transferring the 1"  dimension horizontally makes the outer diameter about 40mm, which means the thread  is  1 1 /4"  inch BSP, not 1 1/2" BSP. 

You are correct.

1 1/2" BSP measures 2" on the outside diameter.  So 1 1/4" BSP is what you need.  Unusual, most are bigger.

Well done.

1 hour ago, Tracy D'arth said:

You are correct.

1 1/2" BSP measures 2" on the outside diameter.  So 1 1/4" BSP is what you need.  Unusual, most are bigger.

Well done.

Except of course the OP said the hole is 4mm, changing it later to 40mm. Not the outside diameter. 

• Greenie 1

Indeed and if the wall thickness of the pipe was about 4mm that would make it about 48mm which is the diameter of a male 1.5 BSP thread. 

In fact it seems the major diameter is 47.8mm for 1.5BSP

So it probably is 1.5BSP which is what most of these are. 

https://www.britishmetrics.com/images/pdf/technical/bspp_bspt_4.htm

Edited by magnetman