Leeds to Manchester

Number 9

Featured Posts

15 minutes ago, Number 9 said:

Hi 

We are planning travelling from leeds to manchester either via the hnc or rochdale. Does anyone have any advice or tips, apart (from don't bother 🙂 )

Both ways are (mostly) lovely (with some grotty bits) but with different pros and cons -- how many of you on the boat, how young/fit/keen, do you have an easy/flexible schedule or a fixed/tighter one, when are you planning the trip?

The Rochdale locks are harder work, HNC are easier when they work and have enough water (often a problem). Timing/booking for Standedge needs planning due to passage restrictions, but the tunnel is fabulous (if you like tunnels). Coming down into Manchester is less pleasant (filthy in places) on the Rochdale with fewer safe places to stop, but OK with planning.

Both routes are hard work -- you need to really *like* locks -- and prone to stoppages (HNC more so?), but very enjoyable overall, you won't find better scenery anywhere on the canals and there are some good places to stop (and some bad ones) on both. If it's all open/working and the timings fit I'd suggest the HNC, others may prefer the Rochdale.

Edited by IanD

2 minutes ago, IanD said:

Both ways are (mostly) lovely (with some grotty bits) but with different pros and cons -- how many of you on the boat, how young/fit/keen, do you have an easy/flexible schedule or a fixed/tighter one, when are you planning the trip?

The Rochdale locks are harder work, HNC are easier when they work and have enough water (often a problem). Timing/booking for Standedge needs planning due to passage restrictions, but the tunnel is fabulous (if you like tunnels). Coming down into Manchester is less pleasant on the Rochdale with fewer safe places to stop, but OK with planning.

Both routes are hard work -- you need to really *like* locks -- and prone to stoppages, but very enjoyable overall. If it's all open/working and the timings fit I'd suggest the HNC, others may prefer the Rochdale.

Thank you, just the 2 of us, not as young and fit as we once were but capable of locks and not in any rush. The HNC was our first choice just depends if we can get a suitable booking for standedge. I was allowing 3 days Leeds to Huudersfield and 3 or 4 days up to the tunnel

7 minutes ago, Number 9 said:

Thank you, just the 2 of us, not as young and fit as we once were but capable of locks and not in any rush. The HNC was our first choice just depends if we can get a suitable booking for standedge. I was allowing 3 days Leeds to Huudersfield and 3 or 4 days up to the tunnel

That's taking it nice and easy, we did Ashton to Sowerby Bridge in a week but that was with 4 on the boat. 6 days from Leeds up to Standedge should give you plenty of time to allow for temporary stoppages like low pounds (which are very likely) and make sure you don't miss your tunnel booking, otherwise you might have a long wait (2 days absolute minimum) for the next free slot. If you know when you're going, book early... 😉

If you want some recommendations about where to stop (and where not to), I'm sure people will be happy to advise you 🙂

Edited by IanD
  • Greenie 1

Problems at Standedge. Rather than put my foot in it, ring crt and get them to explain. It’s to do with the access to the observation tunnel by the guy in the van. Atm there are no passages in either direction 

1 hour ago, droshky said:

Problems at Standedge. Rather than put my foot in it, ring crt and get them to explain. It’s to do with the access to the observation tunnel by the guy in the van. Atm there are no passages in either direction 

Thanks for the info, it appears crt are trying to negotiate access but until then there are no tunnel passages so the Rochdale may be our route back to Lancashire/Cheshire 

Tricky for you. I’ve no boating experience of the Rochdale. A close call which is better maintained etc, I’d guess. If they can sort out the access then I’d say the Hudd is lovely but we’ve been hanging around for ages waiting to get through. Good luck either way

15 hours ago, droshky said:

Interesting that NB Escapeology went through Standedge yesterday west to east, they had their booking brought forward.

15 minutes ago, Neil TNC said:

Interesting that NB Escapeology went through Standedge yesterday west to east, they had their booking brought forward.

Very interesting as when I spoke to CRT yesterday they told me no passages were permitted as there was no access to the safety tunnel

1 hour ago, droshky said:

Likewise 

Just had a look at their Fb page. Although it’s just been posted, I wonder are they talking about Monday of last week?

Is this going to end up a farce, like the Caldon river section non silting problem? Mrs TNC notes that the Standedge booking has been removed from the CaRT my little bookings page, she assumed they had their quota.

1 hour ago, Neil TNC said:

Is this going to end up a farce, like the Caldon river section non silting problem? Mrs TNC notes that the Standedge booking has been removed from the CaRT my little bookings page, she assumed they had their quota.

They had to go through yesterday, as the Wed was cancelled. They were told it was a staff training issue and they trying a "work around"...what ever that means!

No. We were there last Wednesday when the issue of access for the safety guy in the van came up. Network rail had started (on the Tuesday I think) extensive resurfacing work which will prevent access from the top of the road for some time. No safety van, no tunnel passage.

It’s not impossible that Escapeology was lucky enough to benefit from a brief reopening last Monday, but I dunno, and if so I would be, erm, disappointed!

But like you, I spoke to crt yesterday and there was no mention of any movement soon. So it’s not that they’re booked up, it’s that it’s closed.

There is another potential route to the access tunnel which crt are hoping to negotiate with a private householder. Fingers crossed, because if we don’t get that they can keep the curtains down for quite some time

Aha, just read your latest… well, I’m flummoxed!

Mrs TNC (probably just as well!) has just phoned Yorkshire and NE Waterways CaRT. Genned up operator assured her our 03 May Booking is still on, as it was short term issue to be resolved tomorrow. He said there is a lot of misinformation about at the moment. Meanwhile bookings have been temporary suspended. Network Rail are doing some project work, there is an issue with a landowner, that will resolved tomorrow.....make of that what you will!

I would have thought that as part of the Millennium funding deal which secured the completion of the Huddersfield restoration, there would have been a requirement for BW to enter into an agreement with Railtrack to secure for the long term the necessary access to the disused rail tunnel to ensure the continued operability of the canal tunnel.  Such an agreement would presumably include the ability to suspend access for planned operational and maintenance reasons with appropriate notice, or without notice in case of emergency.  

So has some such emergency occurred?

There is now a gas main inspection stoppage at 12W -13W. We specifically booked Standedge a month after reopening, the idea being any start up problems would be ironed out and there would still be water.

6 hours ago, Neil TNC said:

Mrs TNC (probably just as well!) has just phoned Yorkshire and NE Waterways CaRT. Genned up operator assured her our 03 May Booking is still on, as it was short term issue to be resolved tomorrow. He said there is a lot of misinformation about at the moment. Meanwhile bookings have been temporary suspended. Network Rail are doing some project work, there is an issue with a landowner, that will resolved tomorrow.....make of that what you will!

If you can please keep us updated, I’m 

booked for 10th May and haven’t heard anything of this problem apart from here.

17 hours ago, n-baj said:

If you can please keep us updated, I’m 

booked for 10th May and haven’t heard anything of this problem apart from here.

Will do, we have Bosley and Marple to contend with first. The HNC Lk 12E-13E gas main inspection stoppage has not come off yet, meant to be update today

Curious they need a closure for this. Usually these bridge and pipe inspection notices say something to the effect of "Please follow the directions of the contractors staff. Boats may be delayed by up to 30 minutes/ 1 hour while equipment/pontoon/etc is moved out of the way".

On 18/04/2023 at 15:30, David Mack said:

I would have thought that as part of the Millennium funding deal which secured the completion of the Huddersfield restoration, there would have been a requirement for BW to enter into an agreement with Railtrack to secure for the long term the necessary access to the disused rail tunnel to ensure the continued operability of the canal tunnel.  Such an agreement would presumably include the ability to suspend access for planned operational and maintenance reasons with appropriate notice, or without notice in case of emergency.  

So has some such emergency occurred?

Only starting  another rumour here, but could it be that Network Rail and CaRT have to go across third party land to get to the trackbed???

21 hours ago, Neil TNC said:

Only starting  another rumour here, but could it be that Network Rail and CaRT have to go across third party land to get to the trackbed???

I find that hard to believe in the case of Network Rail at least. They must still own large tracts of land at the old Marsden goods yard and at Diggle Junction. They have a continuous maintenance and inspection requirement for their 3 tunnels.In addition there is long awaited work towards the Transpennine Route Upgrade and eventual electrification of the route. It is possible that NR are trying to limit C&RTs access to enable this. I do not see why the canal tunnel could not have some kind of comms system along its length  for boater use, similar to what used to be in coal mines(remember them?) and do away with the shadowing van altogether. Has there ever been an incident where the van and man have been necessary for a rescue? There has been some discussion that NR may want to re-instate the van & man tunnel as a live  railway line, possibly only while the main double track tunnel is electrified, that would mean an end to C&RTs  present methods.