How do you not get scammed?

Bishop Brennan

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, Canal conor said:

So if you go to a brokerage from the Internet. The boat could still be a stolen boat and nobody would have picked up on this fact? 

It seems absurd some of the stories I'm reading. Surely there's a proper process involving checks if a business is selling on behalf of someone?? 

The paperwork you get with a car does not shoe you the owner. Is shows you the registered keeper

42 minutes ago, Bishop Brennan said:

Me too. I'd never considered outstanding finance on boats. Surely the debt is attached to the person who borrowed rather than the boat?

It has become much more difficul to get a mortgage (loan secured on the boat)for 'low priced boats' but in the past it was not uncommon.

It is still widely used to fund the purchase of expensive boats.

Which is why when you use the Governments Boat register Part 1, it can be used as proof of ownership for mortgage purposes.

Unfortunately it is not a compulsory registration and, the general dislike for 'paperwork' on the inland waterways means that I doubt any canal boats are so registered.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

On 17/04/2023 at 19:31, Canal conor said:

So if you go to a brokerage from the Internet. The boat could still be a stolen boat and nobody would have picked up on this fact? 

It seems absurd some of the stories I'm reading. Surely there's a proper process involving checks if a business is selling on behalf of someone?? 

What checks would you suggest when there are no regulations that cover all boats?

In the past second hand car dealers had a bit of an Arthur Daly approach but DVLA and Consumer Law have tightened things up. 

A business selling on behalf of someone! There's a can of worms already :)

Folks who steal boats probably want a quick turnaround, so not likely to use a broker.

Edited by LadyG

• 4 weeks later...

I contacted a seller on eBay once, although didn’t proceed to viewing. Back then I just felt the seller wasn’t pleasant to deal with. In hindsight it looked very much like a stolen boat…

- surprisingly cheap;

- interior very new and clean but has rough edges - looks rushed;

- new paint outside;

- seller was reluctant to talk, often gave single-word answers to my questions; sometimes doesn’t answer the phone

2 hours ago, ryhui said:

I contacted a seller on eBay once, although didn’t proceed to viewing. Back then I just felt the seller wasn’t pleasant to deal with. In hindsight it looked very much like a stolen boat…

- surprisingly cheap;

- interior very new and clean but has rough edges - looks rushed;

- new paint outside;

- seller was reluctant to talk, often gave single-word answers to my questions; sometimes doesn’t answer the phone

Welcome to the forum

• 6 months later...

I am about to buy at 57' Sailaway, but it is second hand. Someone bought it, but because of health issues could not collect it. So it is still at the original builders.

I know this is all legit because I have talked personally to the builders, who are happy that the boat is now going to be sold. So my question is: When I have paid for it, how do I prove it is mine? I have a dated receipt for the deposit, so when I finish the deal I will pay the final agreed price. How do I make this all legitimate?

Thanks Martin

37 minutes ago, mshakeshaft said:

I have a dated receipt for the deposit, so when I finish the deal I will pay the final agreed price. How do I make this all legitimate?

You need a Bill of Sale.  The RYA and the BMF both do examples.  There may be others.

I would be surprised if the original builders do not have something handy, and by now they are probably happy to help with an example of theirs.

You also want the original Bill of Sale from the builders to the current owner, or at least a certified copy.  This provides an ownership trail to the source.

Again, if the owner has lost it, the builders may have a copy on file.

N

1 hour ago, mshakeshaft said:

I am about to buy at 57' Sailaway, but it is second hand. Someone bought it, but because of health issues could not collect it. So it is still at the original builders.

I know this is all legit because I have talked personally to the builders, who are happy that the boat is now going to be sold. So my question is: When I have paid for it, how do I prove it is mine? I have a dated receipt for the deposit, so when I finish the deal I will pay the final agreed price. How do I make this all legitimate?

Thanks Martin

You also need to ensure that you get the CORRECT RCR paperwork confirming compliance to whatever stage it is being built - without that they cannot legally sell the boat