Hurleston Locks

monkeyhanger

Featured Posts

Has anyone experienced problems getting a boat through these locks recently? I saw a post on Facebook a couple of days ago, which appeared to show a converted Town class boat being towed backwards out of one of the locks. Unfortunately the captions didn't make the situation clear.

I went down through those locks about 5 or 6 weeks ago and there were no issues at that time, although mine is a standard width boat and 50ft long. 

Surprisingly I didn't see a single other boat coming through when I was there.

2 hours ago, Tony1 said:

I went down through those locks about 5 or 6 weeks ago and there were no issues at that time, although mine is a standard width boat and 50ft long. 

Did you not know it is a one way flight now to save volunteers?

2 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Did you not know it is a one way flight now to save volunteers?

Well bugger me, I must have missed the one way signs. 

I wonder if I could get away with it next time by going through facing backwards.....

I had a local  engage me in conversation on the L&L, I explained that I was going downhill by the simple method of taking a lock full of water down with me. I used hand signals and tried my best, but he was not convinced.

After a brief pause, he asked me if it only worked one way (in which case all the boats would end up in Liverpool, of course), but I was able to reassure him that the traffic could transit both ways. :)

Edited by LadyG

On 13/04/2023 at 11:42, Tony1 said:

I got stuck for about three hours in bottom lock there about ten years ago. Like you, no other bugger ever turned up to help the whole time....

I'll be very careful of lock 2 next time.

If there is one.