Steam Boats

Liam

Featured Posts

Yeah, if your helping somone else, it worth asking first.

- for two reasons, firstly, if they said you can help, and it goes wrong, they can blame you so easyly. secondly there maybe a problem that you not aware of.

- But certainly, anyone who wants to help us lock though is welcome (assuming the can tare there head out of the engine roof hatch!!)

Daniel

What have you got in there? anything of interest? :)

Edited by Liam

Daniel

I imagine you must be friends with these guys

sn_engine2.jpg

Ooops - just checked out Emily Anne's web site. You're practically brothers! :)

Peter

Edited by Guest

You're practically brothers!

I wouldn't go that far, we are'nt members of the "friend of president" thing that they have going on.

- But i have to admit, ive never accutally seen her!

- Now that i can drive i planning to get me self aboard her sometime soon!

Emilyanne is much better tho!

- even if President is "the real thing" - lol

- there engine look more like a piller-drill than and engine!

Daniel

I've been on President numerous times, aswell as the often forgotten Kildare.

I really don't see anything special about it - It's a boat that failed in the time of carrying due to the restricted hold size- it couldn't carry enough cargo...also the need for many crew members put a big black mark on it. The draught didn't help either - and the time spent in getting up steam in the mornin.

All of 2 mins to start a National or similiar - A quick spin on the handle and you're away :)

Yeah, its true, steam engines take up a lot of room, too much to make them very viable on our canals (horses are so convinent)

- Having sayed that, they did make a whole fleet of them, and as it says on there site, one steamer could pull two or three full size buttys (like Kildare)

- But as you say, as soon as IC engines became avalable all the steam plants where ripped out and cut up (hence president done have the "right" engine)

Daniel

I've been on President numerous times, aswell as the often forgotten Kildare.

You're not the fellow who fell headlong out of the engine hole, and into the canal at Thrupp two summers ago, when returning from the National Rally are you? I witnessed the whole thing and did not have the presence of mind to take a photo, even though my camera was ready. Shame that.

Edited by David Schweizer

Daniel,

Check out the gallery. I uploaded some photos of President and Kildare at Dudley a week or so ago.

Mark

I woulnt go that far, we are members of the "friend of president" thing that they have going on.

- But i have to admit, ive never accutally seen her!

- Now that i can drive i planning to get me self aboard her sometime soon!

Emilyanne is much better tho!

- even if President is "the real thing" - lol

- there engine look more like a piller-drill than and engine!

Daniel

Yes, was up there for a visit (not with boat I hasten to add).

Sounds great, i wish i had been there too! ah well,

- It would be cool to cruse up along side in emilyanne and give them a good blast on our whistle :)

- We havent planed much of our years crusing yet, about all we've planned is that 13-15th May where at the SBAs trentlock rally. so we may be able to tie visting her in with that trip (having look at the preposed events list, there between dudley and crick at that time)

Daniel

Yes its a very interesting place. The historic boatyard there was great. I took some photos which are on the gallery, of a boat which I have since found out was an old ice breaking boat. We also went through the Dudley Tunnel on an electric trip boat. The land under Dudley is like swiss cheese - full of limestone mines.

Mark

With Emily Anne being steam powered, and the need to swing a big prop - what does she draw?

About 2.8 feet, with a 26" prop, which has a 32" pitch.

- We she was built (1991) we used to hit the bottom a lot, but its not to bad at the moment. At least we dont draw as much as president when shes full loaded!

Daniel