Anyone identify the location?

Featured Posts

31 minutes ago, Tim Lewis said:

This is the only canalside Model Bakery that I could find:

http://www.thepotteries.org/waterways/burslem_branch_4.htm

Ah - you might be onto something there....

I've worked on that site but only ever known it as the co-op bakery site (never known it as a bakery, only as a vacant site) 

Thanks Tim

I looked at the Burslem one but couldn't find any way of getting the view in the photo from the canal (bakery to the left houses to the right), also the date of est 1828 (or 1826) didn't seem to fit as the Burslem one pre-dated either date.

• Greenie 1

23 minutes ago, Jess-- said:

I looked at the Burslem one but couldn't find any way of getting the view in the photo from the canal (bakery to the left houses to the right), also the date of est 1828 (or 1826) didn't seem to fit as the Burslem one pre-dated either date.

Food for thought (pardon the pun)

I could see there was a date but couldn't work out what it was. 

From the building, I would have thought 1926/8 a more likely date, particularly when associated with the suggestion of 'catering'. I can confirm that it is nothing to do with the pie factory that used to be near lock 20 on the Wigan flight. There was always a jug of gravy on the shop counter so you could fill up your potato pies. Mmmmmmmmm, I can still recall the taste!

• Greenie 1

13 minutes ago, Pluto said:

. There was always a jug of gravy on the shop counter so you could fill up your potato pies. Mmmmmmmmm, I can still recall the taste!

There are few things more evocative than the memory of a taste you enjoyed but can never taste again. At certain times, if I close my eyes, I ca taste my Mum's lemon pie; I've not tasted the like in 25 years and shall not do so again, but my taste buds retain the memory.

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, Athy said:

There are few things more evocative than the memory of a taste you enjoyed but can never taste again. At certain times, if I close my eyes, I ca taste my Mum's lemon pie; I've not tasted the like in 25 years and shall not do so again, but my taste buds retain the memory.

For me , it's  smells. My first job on leaving school was in a shoe repair factory, and whenever I smell leather I am back in the sixties.

My junior school had a distinctive whiff of a sort of urine type smell.It was I think the type of polish used on the floors.Later on I used to teach Brass Instruments, and found some schools still must use the same stuff, as on walking in memory would fly back to my junior school days.

The smell of Gunk on a hot motorbike engine takes me back to my teenage years messing with BSA Bantams, Franny Barnets,James, Ambassadors and others.

• Greenie 2

That Pie Factory in Wigan WAS something special and to bring Pie back the Boat

There have been various suggestions about this location, and I wonder if it's on the Thames for the 1920s. Several "Model Bakeries" provided catering at that time along the length from Reading to Fulham. Any thoughts on the style of craft?

• Greenie 1

44 minutes ago, Mike Tee said:

The smell of Castrol oil burning as a pack of bikes raced past - and Easter Sunday was always one of the first race meetings of the year at Snetterton, so particularly evocative today!

I think you mean Castrol 'R'

Rather than running our bikes with it in the oil tank, we used to add a spoonful to the petrol, just for the whiff!

The Castrol racing oil was Castrol R. A few spoonfuls in the tank was guaranteed to give off that oh so sweet aroma.

Gunk from a hot engine was most distictive, always takes me back to being 19 again. New mown grass always takes me back to playing fields, and creosote - old Mr Rumbles garden fence and the model houses in his back garden which could be seen through empty knot holes in the fence. Coal smoke and steam oil - I'm standing beside a locomotive near the end of King's Cross station platform, feeling the radiating heat as the driver awaits the whistle.

• Greenie 1

4 hours ago, Mad Harold said:

For me , it's  smells. My first job on leaving school was in a shoe repair factory, and whenever I smell leather I am back in the sixties.

I like the smell of coal smoke. The real stuff not the manufactured type. It reminds me of when I was a teenager and wanted to live on a boat. There was a geyser who lived in a narrow boat near us on the Thames and he used to burn coal. Walking past with the dog I did like that coal smoke. Fortunately I got to live on my own boat aged 20 (1994) and still do although a different boat and today it is wood not coal. 

Wood is similarly pleasant. 

I sometimes wonder if other people experience the smells differently. I suppose to some people the sulfurous smell of coal could be really nasty but I could never imagine anybody disliking the smell of wood smoke. 

• Greenie 1

9 hours ago, Ray Arn said:

Regarding Ian Moss

Hello Patrick. I cannot now find your post about the death your dad, so this reply is in the wrong place, but please excuse me for my error.

My name is Ray Arnold.

My wife and I (now both over 80), live in Knutsford.

On Easter Sunday, mainly to get out of the house of the house and use the last the last sunny day forecast for the next several days, I set my sat nav to take us to Marple, which we have not visited for many a year.

But what we did use to do for many a year was to attend the Wilmslow Guild, where, as you probably know,  your father often gave lectures on Canals. And whenever he arranged a day-long coach trip to look at some  particular canal here or there around the country, we invariably signed up for that trip, and always enjoyed listening to your enthusiastic and knowledgeable Dad, and asking him questions. We happily talked to your Mum too, when she sometimes joined these ‘days out’.

I clearly remember on one occasion, your Mum coming up to me not long before our coach was due to return to Wilmslow, and saying “Ray, have you seen Ian recently?”, to which I replied “Yes Joan, a few minutes ago. He was just going into that pub across the road”

Oh dear! That wasn’t what she wanted to hear.

“I have told him not to drink before we start the coach trip home, because he forgets what he told you all on the way down, and starts repeating himself on the way back!”

But on Easter Sunday, as my wife and I walked, very slowly, up past the locks in Marple, I said to my wife “I wonder if Ian is still around in Marple, because he was a bit older than us”. 

I now know from your on-line message that he died last year.

But I thought you might like to know how so many folks really enjoyed the ‘canal trips’ that your Dad arranged for us.

Best wishes,

Ray Arnold

Thanks Ray, that was wonderful and heartwarming to read, so many people have so many rich memories of our father. The pub incident sounds very typical - he liked a pint! 😄

We still have the house in Marple, and I'm there a lot, I was elsewhere on Saturday, but if you'd walked up the locks on Friday, there's a good chance you'd have met me doing the same. 

• Greenie 1