Smoke/steam BMC 1.5 engine

Featured Posts

16 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

I would just observe that when I tried to help someone avoid what looked like a setup for a similar experience a week ago I got insulted and berated for my efforts.

Looking back on that whole affair, I think he casually made up the "head gasket failed" story as a more credible justification for requesting a tow, which is why he did not want to discuss it and go so angry when pressed on it.

47 minutes ago, MtB said:

Amazing how well you can type, with those paws of yours....

One day I’ll be an expert at typing in the dark on the iPad. Might not be today. But one day. 😝

44 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

Don't feel too bad, unfortunately it seems to happen far too frequently. How anyone can claim 14 hours for a service and injector change is beyond me, unless there was more work than listed. Even if they had their own pump room and overhauled the injectors themselves it still seems way, way too much time - especially as they seem to have caused an oil leak or failed to find it and fix it.

I would just observe that when I tried to help someone avoid what looked like a setup for a similar experience a week ago I got insulted and berated for my efforts.

Well, some have an ego the size of a hot air balloon. Sorry to hear you were berated. You have been such an excellent help to me!

47 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

Don't feel too bad, unfortunately it seems to happen far too frequently. How anyone can claim 14 hours for a service and injector change is beyond me, unless there was more work than listed. Even if they had their own pump room and overhauled the injectors themselves it still seems way, way too much time - especially as they seem to have caused an oil leak or failed to find it and fix it.

If I recall, the conversation went like this: there is a leak, that needs sorting before we can proceed so this will be more than a typical service of £250. I said ok that’s fine fix the thing. Nearly four weeks later I was sent the invoice when I told them I need to leave the Marina. 

I would expect maybe the price to double if it meant fixing the problem they identified so you can imagine my shock at a £1100 invoice. 

13 hours ago, wandering said:

A leak was identified when the man looked at it. I was told this should be found before the service was completed. I said fix the leak. I was then told I needed 4 new injectors. I was informed the leak stopped. When work was entering its final week I asked how long is left because it has taken weeks. Then he cleaned up and I was told it was done.  

And the leak has not stopped. I was told a service cost 250 but the leak then lead to the further cost. Let me grab the invoice. 

5F6C8A2D-525E-4E81-955E-8D1647D8746B.jpeg

Added to the list

6.5 litres of Engine Oil for a 1.5?

1.6 Litres of ATF for the gear box?

3 minutes ago, StephenA said:

A curiously accurate quantity.

Had I cracked open 2 x 1L bottles of ATF, I'd have charged for two litres and left behind the remaining 0.4L.

• Greenie 2

1 hour ago, StephenA said:

6.5 litres of Engine Oil for a 1.5?

I may be remembering incorrectly, but I have a feeling that there may have been two different sized sumps used on the BMCs. (Anybody know?)

That said 6.5 litres is far too big for the one usually encountered.

I think most would struggle to take more that 4.5 litres on a refill, so fear you have been charged for 2.0 litres never actually used,  (Only £11 it seems, but still doesn't give a feeling of total honesty)

One of my boats has a pair of BMC 1.5D engines. Ex Austin J4 marinised units. Sump capacity 4.69 litres. Filter 0.71 litres. 

ETA if it has had the spin on filter modification then I think the filter capacity is a bit less but not sure. 

https://www.kroon-oil.com/en/product-recommendation/classic-cars/bmc/austin-morris-j4/j4-diesel/60323/#!/component:444863/

The BMC Captain was a marine version I think so may have had a bigger sump for obvious reasons. 

Edited by magnetman

16 hours ago, Peugeot 106 said:

Incontinence pads are brilliant for soaking and cleaning up oil and water. It’s amazing how much one pad will soak up and you can buy them from discount shops.

Or cheap babies nappies. Less embarrassing to buy if you're of a certain age. 

• Greenie 2

This reminds me of when I had terrible back pain and needed an over the counter medication which really works. 

I went to the chemist and asked for Feminax Ultra. Its for the woman. She won't be happy if I go home without it ;)

3 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

I think that you can get silicon rocker cover gaskets for those engines. They do not dry out and distort like the cork ones do, but still stick it to the rocker cover. It is just two but "bolts" by the lifting eyes to undo to get the rocker cover off. Be wary about overtightening the fixing bolts because you can distort the cover.

Calcutt do a silicon gasket. 

4 hours ago, MtB said:

This might help... how to enable dictation of text onto your ipad:

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/ipad/ipad997d9642/ipados

Oh hang on, this would need a talking dog! 

My pal uses this too and swears by it. I trip up a lot during speech to find the right words which means tangents and meanders so it doesn’t feel as natural/easy as typing. I’ll give it a go. 

1 hour ago, magnetman said:

This reminds me of when I had terrible back pain and needed an over the counter medication which really works. 

I went to the chemist and asked for Feminax Ultra. Its for the woman. She won't be happy if I go home without it ;)

As a teen, I once showered and grabbed the nearest deodorant on hand and turns out I smothered my pits and body in my mum’s fem fresh. Oops. 

1 hour ago, Slim said:

Calcutt do a silicon gasket. 

Useful to know, thank you. 

I thought both the BMC 1.5 and 1.8 diesels had a 20w/50 oil specified.

That is certainly the grade we used on our shareboat fitted with a 1.8 diesel and that got to over 13,500 hours without any issues.

2 minutes ago, cuthound said:

That is certainly the grade we used on our shareboat fitted with a 1.8 diesel and that got to over 13,500 hours without any issues.

20/20 or 20/50 for -10C to 30C climate

And just confirmed that the Oil Capacity, including filter, is 4.7L (8.25 pints)

7 minutes ago, cuthound said:

They will run with just about anything oily in the sump. 20w50 can be a bit thick starting in winter. As a general all weather oil 15w40 is good.

11 hours ago, wandering said:

Anyone here know somebody in market harb area who will fit panels and controller (Victron) on my roof?

Debdale?

:offtopic:   You will do better starting another thread on this subject rather than using the engine thread.

Edited by Tracy D'arth
off topic note
  • Greenie 1

So called 'servicing' can be a total rip off. In fact an awful lot of garage or boatyard work is almost fraud and theft. Eldest son took car in for MOT, failed on emissions, was told it needed set of plugs and two lamda sensors, Cost would be approx £700.  Did the job for well under £200. The reason I did the job was because the local, trusted, proper garage is so busy that we could not book it in for weeks, OK they would have added their labour costs but it would have been a fair price.  The moral is to learn how to do oil and filter changes at the very least and take responsibility for the maintanance of the boat as much as possible yourself

• Greenie 3

14 hours ago, StephenA said:

20/20 or 20/50 for -10C to 30C climate

Original manual specifies oils based on manufacturer.

Although the majority listed are 20W/50 some are 15W/50, and just one 15W/40.

16 hours ago, cuthound said:

This goes in my BMC less than £18 from farmers shop in Penkridge. 
01043CF5-3AB8-4C5C-83E7-3F8898FE2A07.jpeg.4deabd32b30d2834eede6ed5e1ba81a2.jpeg

Edited by Goliath

update:

The coolant pipe which bends at 90 degrees had a small tear in it at the bend itself and looked quite worn and old. Engineer from the RCR found it in less than two minutes. New one will be ordered which should stop any leaking going forward. 

Edited by wandering
  • Greenie 1

20 minutes ago, wandering said:

New one will be ordered which should stop any leaking going forward. 

Hopefully it will stop leaking going backwards too. And sideway, upwards and downwards. 

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...