Louthing Around - a brief tour of the Louth Canal

Featured Posts

The curved walls on Canal du Midi locks were only introduced after the lock into/out of the Garonne collapsed very soon after construction. It was on the first section of canal to be built, and the locks through Toulouse, built at the same time, have straight side walls. The reason for the collapse was that the lock had been built on the river's flood plain, and they had not made adequate provision for the lack of a solid foundation to build upon. A curved side wall was used as it was thought that the main force on the wall was from the land side, as they did not appreciate that the water in the lock when full created a similar, but opposite, force. The Louth Canal locks are slightly different in that they have  several curved inverted sections along the chamber wall. I would suspect this was done because of the poor quality foundations, the canal crossing marshy land in the river valley it followed. Such locks, with a single or multiple curves to the chamber walls are very rare.

Locks with straight side walls usually have buttresses at the rear of the wall to strengthen them, and I have found a few drawings which show the rear of the wall to be puddled, the puddling at the upper end of the chamber wall being continued at right angles to the wall and connected with the main puddle in the canal trench. This certainly seems sensible as it would prevent the land behind the chamber wall becoming waterlogged and thus more likely to cause a wall failure, as at Gargrave two years ago.

• Greenie 2

Ticklepenny Lock - named after a local family

Same arrangement with the bays - only Tetney Sea Lock and Outfen Lock (the lowest of the seven up to Louth) had straight walls. Ticklepenny Lock had a swing bridge over it which affected the middle bay - the bridge is now fixed. Ground paddle chambers still apparent here. 

P1000108.JPG

P1000101.JPG

P1000112.JPG

31 minutes ago, Athy said:

Is the Trust's aim restoration or simply conservation?

A bit of both - full restoration is an aspiration but not one with any obvious way of achieving it at the moment, but they would like to enhance the canal so more use can be made of both the towpath and the water

Louth Navigation Trust

15 minutes ago, Pluto said:

The Louth Canal locks are slightly different in that they have  several curved inverted sections along the chamber wall. I would suspect this was done because of the poor quality foundations, the canal crossing marshy land in the river valley it followed. Such locks, with a single or multiple curves to the chamber walls are very rare.

Thank you - I shall pass that on. 

The lock floors were (and still are) wooden frames with tongue and groove timber on top (pine?) 

I took this one twenty years ago. The curved brickwork above the gate recess seems to suggest a place for a ground paddle, given that the bywash tunnel started a little further above the lock.

Louth 599.jpg

• Greenie 1

Riverhead and the site of the top two locks - the warehouses and still at Riverhead but Louth and Keddington Locks have completely vanished, Louth replaced by a sluice that no longer operates and Keddington via a lot of rip-rap. Keddington was in a very poor state of repair and almost literally fell aprt a few years  ago - I think Louth lock fell to flood alleviation 

P1000026.JPG

P1000028.JPG

P1000029.JPG

P1000093.JPG