Hello to everyone

Featured Posts

30 minutes ago, ivan cresswell said:

Hi everyone. I have landed here as a friend of mine requires a valuation on his engine. (not sure this is the correct sub)

Its a Ruston  Hornsby 3VRH. It is in a 60ft narrow boat.

Can anyone advise where I should be looking please?

Regards

Ivan

£500

We need much more information.

Does he want the engine value when it is in the boat, or on the bank?

If on the bank, how is it getting there?

What sort of gearbox, if any, is included?

Does it run?

What sort of state is it in?

How many hours has it done/ when was it last overhauled/ rebuilt/serviced?

N

45 minutes ago, BEngo said:

We need much more information.

Does he want the engine value when it is in the boat, or on the bank?

If on the bank, how is it getting there?

What sort of gearbox, if any, is included?

Does it run?

What sort of state is it in?

How many hours has it done/ when was it last overhauled/ rebuilt/serviced?

N

Also, is the valuation required in order to decide what price to put on an advert selling it?

Or is it for an insurance policy against total loss? Or something else? 

The thing about vintage engines like this is the market for them is incredibly illiquid. To the right buyer it could be worth £5k or £10k but that buyer might take a year or three to find. But if the OP's friend wants to sell it reasonably quickly then bung it on ebay with a starting price of £100. If it makes £500 this would be a good price.

3VRH  (=Lister JP3) has no bling  to polish  like, for instance, a Kelvin J3 so not that attractive for boats. They are very robust and will start and keep going without much attention for donkey's years. Most of those still about were originally in Ruston Bucyrus navvies working on construction sites and quarries  or from WW2 searchlight generators. They still appear in scrapyards and on ebay for not much and looking somewhat care worn. The one I am very familiar with, not in a boat, last had a major overhaul , including crankshaft regrind,in 1959, it still runs fine on the few occasions in the year when it has to. A 3VRH in a narrowboat will not get fully loaded and will smoke, sound marvellous and run too cool. As Bengo says we need more info, on condition  and its heritage, otherwise value is circa £120 /tonne.

Wow !!! thankyou all for such a rapid response. From the comments and suggestions It has been made clear I dont have all of the facts. I will do some research on the vessel etc and see exactly what he wants to do with it. 

In my opinion he would be far better selling the vessel with the engine though it has been moored for a number of years and im not sure of the condition of any of it. 

I will check and get photos and information before re posting. Although I have been involved with narrow boats over the years it is quite difficult selling third party lol.

Once again many thanks for all of your comments, I will forward them (though I will have to print them off) 

I will keep you posted.

👍

49 minutes ago, ivan cresswell said:

Wow !!! thankyou all for such a rapid response. From the comments and suggestions It has been made clear I dont have all of the facts. I will do some research on the vessel etc and see exactly what he wants to do with it. 

In my opinion he would be far better selling the vessel with the engine though it has been moored for a number of years and im not sure of the condition of any of it. 

I will check and get photos and information before re posting. Although I have been involved with narrow boats over the years it is quite difficult selling third party lol.

Once again many thanks for all of your comments, I will forward them (though I will have to print them off) 

I will keep you posted.

👍

Ok so may we surmise the reason for your request is the boat is to be sold? 

Or just the engine? It makes a big difference.

If selling the engine but keeping the boat, it's far better to sell the engine BEFORE removal from the boat so it can be seen running and  tested. Otherwise you are selling just a lump iron in unknown and unverifiable condition.

If selling the whole boat then sadly I'd suggest it drags the value of the boat down quite badly, as I found myself when selling a 30 year old boat with a Kelvin K1. Almost everyone expressing an interest in the boat was put right off when they realised what a 'vintage engine' actually is. 

36 minutes ago, MtB said:

Ok so may we surmise the reason for your request is the boat is to be sold? 

Or just the engine? It makes a big difference.

If selling the engine but keeping the boat, it's far better to sell the engine BEFORE removal from the boat so it can be seen running and  tested. Otherwise you are selling just a lump iron in unknown and unverifiable condition.

If selling the whole boat then sadly I'd suggest it drags the value of the boat down quite badly, as I found myself when selling a 30 year old boat with a Kelvin K1. Almost everyone expressing an interest in the boat was put right off when they realised what a 'vintage engine' actually is. 

Im not sure at this point what he wants to do, Your post makes perfect sense and one that may have been overlooked.