Tank Capacities - Water, Waste and Fuel - what capacity recommended

DuncanB

Featured Posts

12 hours ago, M_JG said:

They do. And also because during the cycles they reuse and recycle a lot of water during the washing and rinsing process rather than re fill with fresh.

If you use good quality dish washer tablets that can deal with heavily soiled stuff you can dial down the temp. and thus the energy consumption too.

Unfortunately from what I can remember, dishwasher  chemicals are not the most environmentally friendly things, times may have changed. 

FWIW, since we have had a smart meter fitted and have been watching energy consumption far more than usual, I am confident that hand washing up in a bowel, not the sink, uses less energy than the dishwasher. I know this is not applicable to most boats, but it shows how things that were once true no longer are. Like cold fill washing machines use less energy that mixed fill. No longer true if you have gas hot water heating.

11 hours ago, nicknorman said:

It is funny how the generations cycle. When I were a yoof we used to enjoy being dirty just to alarm and disgust one’s mother. Now the kids are afraid of everything, especially the possibility of ingesting a tiny harmless bacterium. Which of course is why the mostly suffer from asthma and have food allergies to almost anything not delivered by Deliveroo.

When I was a kid, some thought milk came from bottles, not cows, today they think food comes from Just Eat or Deliveroo, 

43 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

FWIW, since we have had a smart meter fitted and have been watching energy consumption far more than usual, I am confident that hand washing up in a bowl, not the sink, uses less energy than the dishwasher. I know this is not applicable to most boats, but it shows how things that were once true no longer are. Like cold fill washing machines use less energy that mixed fill. No longer true if you have gas hot water heating.

11 minutes ago, davem399 said:

Just going through the motions Tony?

Thanks - edited.

a few years ago when I was negotiating with the EA to replace an old septic tank system with a new 'packaged treatment plant'  the guidance was to allow 75 litres a day per person for water usage to size the system.    I thought that was on the generous side... 

We have a 580l water tank for two people and that easily lasts us a week, 2 weeks if we're careful. No washing machine though. 800l would be plenty considering we move past a water point every week or two.

Fuel tank is 120l (narrowboat) which lasts just fine, keep 40l of jerry cans just in case.

Edited by Ewan123

Present Narrowboat is

Water 900 litres lasts a week with ease

Fuel 400litres

Previous barge

Water 2 tanks 1 x 900 and 1 x500

Fuel 2 tanks 1 x 800 heating, 1 x 600 engine.

it was only that much because i had 3 diesel heaters 

2 drip feeds and a Mikuni 

Both boats gad cassette bogs 

On 28/03/2023 at 11:42, ditchcrawler said:

Unfortunately from what I can remember, dishwasher  chemicals are not the most environmentally friendly things, times may have changed. 

Wot I do with dishwashing is four stage.

1) Use small plates and few pots.

2) eat up as much as you can and wipe plates and pots with paper towels which are destined for fire or bin.

3) wash using w up stuff.

4) dry off with paper towels so no laundry for T towels which are full of germs if used twice

When I was iced in I could only get 5l per day.

I reckon normal usage is 100l per day.

I don't know my water tank capacity, but if near a tap I can last one week if not, two weeks.

Edited by LadyG