We're recruiting! - Moderator Vacancy (Voluntary)

RichM

Featured Posts

Ok so I will put forward MJG " Martin " forward as a good candidate. He says it like it is, calls a spade a spade, not a shovel and doesnt duck and dive, hes firsted by me, anyone second him?

He would be a good candidate :)

On 26/03/2023 at 17:47, RichM said:

Moderator Vacancy

Closing date: Sunday 9th April, 2023

Canal World is looking to recruit an additional volunteer moderator to join our team over next few weeks to volunteer alongside our existing team. We're particularly keen to hear from existing members who visit the forum regularly. The duties associated with this role are designed to fit around your normal forum activity.

The role requires sound judgement, a proficient level of computer literacy and a thorough understanding of the Forum Rules & Guidelines. The ability and willingness to work as part of a wider team is also key. The successful applicant will join the current site staff in front-line voluntary role after a short introductory period.

Typical tasks will include:

• Maintaining the site content and promoting healthy discussion
  • Engaging with and assisting members with general enquiries
  • Moving and merging duplicated topics, posts and removing spam etc
  • Reviewing posts submitted for Moderator approval (Mod-queue)
  • Removing inappropriate content and/or exercise disciplinary action where appropriate in accordance with the FR&G
  • Escalating serious or repeat incidents to forum administrators

If you are interested and are able to contribute some of your time to help maintain our site, feel free to drop me a PM. This will be shared with the wider team. Please include a short note outlining your interest for the role along with any prior or current experience, knowledge or skills you can offer.

Canal World is owned by DHutch as a non-profit online community and is operated by a Team of Volunteers who kindly provide their time to help maintain the site.

We are extremely grateful to those who help make Canal World what it is today for the benefit of its members and guests alike. If you have any questions or would like to know more about the role, feel free to send me a message or reply to this topic.

Thank you

RichM

Firstly can I say thanks to Rich M for starting this topic and his time running the technical aspects of the site. And also obviously an absolutely huge thank you to all our or moderator past and present for the work they do in staffing the site, without which we quite honestly wouldn't have a forum to us. 

Laid out in black and white, the task of a moderator might look quite daunting. However if you use the site fairly regularly, either making posts or just quietly reading and enjoying the information, you really all most of the way there. Aware of how the content as it comes and goes, how the site runs, the ebb and flow of the community.

We try to keep moderator interventions to a minimum, and a lot of the steering happens as much from the core members as the site staff. However, obviously and as any regular member will know sometimes some intervention is required, be that a lovely debate that's got out of hand, a duplicate topic or post in the wrong section, or the occasional spam post which gets through the systems. That is where the moderator team comes in. 

Sometimes the action is quick and easy and you can just effect it, no more complicated that making a post on the site really, else there is also a behind the scenes 'report centre' where you can discuss a potential action with the rest of the team, and it is a team, we work together, and as a back stop I am never more than a phonecall away and can be on call 24/7 incase of an urgent matters. 

Although often seen as the 'site owner' the role is much more as custodian, I joined the team as a moderator myself before taking the lead when the founder wanted to take a step back, and  it has always been a forum for members run by members. 

Thanks

Daniel 

• Greenie 3

12 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

Ok so I will put forward MJG " Martin " forward as a good candidate. He says it like it is, calls a spade a spade, not a shovel and doesnt duck and dive, hes firsted by me, anyone second him?

He would be a good candidate :)

Lol...did you read what I said earlier?

No chance, not even if I wanted the position.

@MtB would have a serious nose bleed.

Edited by M_JG

13 hours ago, RichM said:

I can relate to that. - Many many moons ago, my English teacher once told me "you're too literal!". What I write often seems quite direct/blunt even when it's not intended to be.

That's an improvement on my English experience, when a teacher said to me "If you don't like Shakespeare, I'm not prepared to teach you" or words closely to the effect. Remember it clearly to this day, the stupid prick. 

On 27/03/2023 at 15:04, M_JG said:

On the issue of selecting a new mod. I personally dont think people putting themselves forward works because I suspect people who think they would be a good mod. invariably wont be and likely wont be somebody the bulk of the membership would find suitable.

A far better way would have been for the site owner and site staff to have an off forum discussion about who would be best and then for that person to be approached off forum and invited to become a mod. If they dont wish to take up that position then move onto someone else.

Nobody else needs to know who may have been approached but declined if that happens.

I can think of a few who I would approach if I was site owner/crew (and can also think of a few who I definitely wouldn't). 

It is also an opportunity to address the current gender imbalance in the site crew.

There is some truth in that, and certainly there will be discussion about potential candidates, both those who out their name forward and those who dont, within the site staff. 

I'm also agree it would be desirable to have an female within the active site staff team is a suitable candidate can be found.

Futhermore if members have someone they this would be a good candidate we're very to people coming forward with suggestions, which again can be discussed as part of the selection process.

I'm not at all against having a number of new members to the team, one would be a minimum, two would be nice, three absolutely fine if we end up with several good candidates. 

Thanks 

I think it would be helpful if users of the site sent a private message to Rich or Dan  if they would like to nominate someone who could do a good job as a mod.  Who can then, if they agree, approach the person. While the nominations made in public are fun, I don't think it is helping us get some more mods to help our overworked few 🙂 . 

• Greenie 1

11 hours ago, DHutch said:

Firstly can I say thanks to Rich M for starting this topic and his time running the technical aspects of the site. And also obviously an absolutely huge thank you to all our or moderator past and present for the work they do in staffing the site, without which we quite honestly wouldn't have a forum to us. 

Laid out in black and white, the task of a moderator might look quite daunting. However if you use the site fairly regularly, either making posts or just quietly reading and enjoying the information, you really all most of the way there. Aware of how the content as it comes and goes, how the site runs, the ebb and flow of the community.

We try to keep moderator interventions to a minimum, and a lot of the steering happens as much from the core members as the site staff. However, obviously and as any regular member will know sometimes some intervention is required, be that a lovely debate that's got out of hand, a duplicate topic or post in the wrong section, or the occasional spam post which gets through the systems. That is where the moderator team comes in. 

Sometimes the action is quick and easy and you can just effect it, no more complicated that making a post on the site really, else there is also a behind the scenes 'report centre' where you can discuss a potential action with the rest of the team, and it is a team, we work together, and as a back stop I am never more than a phonecall away and can be on call 24/7 incase of an urgent matters. 

Although often seen as the 'site owner' the role is much more as custodian, I joined the team as a moderator myself before taking the lead when the founder wanted to take a step back, and  it has always been a forum for members run by members. 

Thanks

Daniel 

That would probably rule me out, after 40 years in a classroom i expect people to do as they are told.  So I would probably intervene far too often.

5 minutes ago, haggis said:

I think it would be helpful if users of the site sent a private message to Rich or Dan  if they would like to nominate someone who could do a good job as a mod.  Who can then, if they agree, approach the person. While the nominations made in public are fun, I don't think it is helping us get some more mods to help our overworked few 🙂 . 

Agree!

Very happy for some light hearted discussion, but the underlying theme has to be looking to bring some new faces into the team to replace those who no longer have time to staff the site for us. 

5 minutes ago, Jerra said:

That would probably rule me out, after 40 years in a classroom i expect people to do as they are told.  So I would probably intervene far too often.

Perhaps. Although you wouldn't the the first teacher to grace the team. 

Current teaching has also moved in style I believe!

24 minutes ago, DHutch said:

Agree!

Very happy for some light hearted discussion, but the underlying theme has to be looking to bring some new faces into the team to replace those who no longer have time to staff the site for us. 

Perhaps. Although you wouldn't the the first teacher to grace the team. 

Current teaching has also moved in style I believe!

i am not a current teacher I have been retired for almost 14 years.   I know Athy belonged to the profession.

<light hearted discussion mode off>

I can think of quite a few people who would make good moderators; unbiased, level headed,and articultate. There seems little point nominating them though, privately or publicly if they do not want the job.

<light hearted discussion mode on>

21 minutes ago, Jerra said:

I am not a current teacher I have been retired for almost 14 years.   I know Athy belonged to the profession.

As did Wigglefingers, she worked all over as a supply teacher. 

Just now, rusty69 said:

I can think of quite a few people who would make good moderators; unbiased, level headed,and articultate. There seems little point nominating them though, privately or publicly if they do not want the job.

Equally true. 

7 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

<light hearted discussion mode off>

<light hearted discussion mode on>

Quite. 

Anybody who actually wants the job will obviously be biased, emotionally unstable, a total fruitloop and spectacularly unsuitable. 

Maybe Dan will dig out my application from 2016 and read it after all! 

• Greenie 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, MtB said:

Is he still a member here then?!

Or if banned members are eligible, I'm nominating another banned poster, MJG. 

:) 

Thankyou fot your consideration  🤣🤣 however I have made it plain my hat is not in the ring.