We're recruiting! - Moderator Vacancy (Voluntary)

RichM

Featured Posts

Moderator Vacancy

Closing date: Sunday 9th April, 2023

Canal World is looking to recruit an additional volunteer moderator to join our team over next few weeks to volunteer alongside our existing team. We're particularly keen to hear from existing members who visit the forum regularly. The duties associated with this role are designed to fit around your normal forum activity.

The role requires sound judgement, a proficient level of computer literacy and a thorough understanding of the Forum Rules & Guidelines. The ability and willingness to work as part of a wider team is also key. The successful applicant will join the current site staff in front-line voluntary role after a short introductory period.

Typical tasks will include:

• Maintaining the site content and promoting healthy discussion
  • Engaging with and assisting members with general enquiries
  • Moving and merging duplicated topics, posts and removing spam etc
  • Reviewing posts submitted for Moderator approval (Mod-queue)
  • Removing inappropriate content and/or exercise disciplinary action where appropriate in accordance with the FR&G
  • Escalating serious or repeat incidents to forum administrators

If you are interested and are able to contribute some of your time to help maintain our site, feel free to drop me a PM. This will be shared with the wider team. Please include a short note outlining your interest for the role along with any prior or current experience, knowledge or skills you can offer.

Canal World is owned by DHutch as a non-profit online community and is operated by a Team of Volunteers who kindly provide their time to help maintain the site.

We are extremely grateful to those who help make Canal World what it is today for the benefit of its members and guests alike. If you have any questions or would like to know more about the role, feel free to send me a message or reply to this topic.

Thank you

RichM

1 hour ago, nicknorman said:

Could I suggest that as well as recruiting new mods, the list of mods be “tidied up” to remove those people who never or  rarely are on the site. One hasn’t visited for 2 years and a couple of others I barely recognise.

Totally agree.

And didn't one recently say they had asked for their mod privileges to be rescinded some considerable time ago - but they never have been? 

I won't say which one in case I get the wrong one.

On 27/03/2023 at 10:11, nicknorman said:

Could I suggest that as well as recruiting new mods, the list of mods be “tidied up” to remove those people who never or  rarely are on the site. One hasn’t visited for 2 years and a couple of others I barely recognise.

We don't specify a minimum amount of time to commit to the site as we fully appreciate everyone has commitments outside of CWDF. As you mention though, there's a couple who have been inactive for an extended period of time. Myself and Daniel are aware of this and we will reach out to the individuals concerned shortly. It would not be appropriate to comment on specific individuals but we appreciate the feedback.

Just now, Tracy D'arth said:

Does a fireproof suit and helmet come with the job?

I would love to be a mod,    again,      but my direct attitude would be misunderstood. I remember the '60s well, Lambretta Li 150.

Yes its not a job for those of us that post in a more 'direct' manner.

It often requires patience, tact and diplomacy and I know I run out of these pretty quickly after years of having to deploy it at work. 😜

4 minutes ago, M_JG said:

It often requires patience, tact and diplomacy and I know I run out of these pretty quickly after years of having to deploy it at work. 😜

If you didn't have any patience patients you can't have been a very busy nurse! :D

• Greenie 1

On the issue of selecting a new mod. I personally dont think people putting themselves forward works because I suspect people who think they would be a good mod. invariably wont be and likely wont be somebody the bulk of the membership would find suitable.

A far better way would have been for the site owner and site staff to have an off forum discussion about who would be best and then for that person to be approached off forum and invited to become a mod. If they dont wish to take up that position then move onto someone else.

Nobody else needs to know who may have been approached but declined if that happens.

I can think of a few who I would approach if I was site owner/crew (and can also think of a few who I definitely wouldn't). 

It is also an opportunity to address the current gender imbalance in the site crew.

Just my 2 cents worth.

21 hours ago, M_JG said:

On the issue of selecting a new mod. I personally dont think people putting themselves forward works because I suspect people who think they would be a good mod. invariably wont be and likely wont be somebody the bulk of the membership would find suitable.

A far better way would have been for the site owner and site staff to have an off forum discussion about who would be best and then for that person to be approached off forum and invited to become a mod. If they dont wish to take up that position then move onto someone else.

Nobody else needs to know who may have been approached but declined if that happens.

I can think of a few who I would approach if I was site owner/crew (and can also think of a few who I definitely wouldn't). 

It is also an opportunity to address the current gender imbalance in the site crew.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Agreed, and I shall await my phone call... ;) 

21 hours ago, M_JG said:

Just my 2 cents worth.

Agreed

• Greenie 1

21 hours ago, M_JG said:

This is how I became a Mod, back in about 2014 I think. 

Apparently, after ten years, I get a final salary pension ;) 

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, magpie patrick said:

I would in that case say it vindicates my suggestion.👍

23 hours ago, cuthound said:

Why not email them or phone them. After all they may be further away than an arms length... :)

The phrase now oft used  that realy winds me up is " Touch base " oh and dont get me started on " Price point "..............:banghead: all utter nonsense.

1 hour ago, magpie patrick said:

I was vaguely tempted with applying - I'm on the site at least once a day, although a (relatively) infrequent poster.

The main reason I didn't apply is that my Brother, @magpie patrick is a Mod and (I think) does an excellent job. I don't wish to undermine his considerable efforts by being accused, "you're only supporting him because he's your brother" [trying hard to get all apostrophes in the right place...]

27 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

The phrase now oft used  that realy winds me up is " Touch base " oh and dont get me started on " Price point "..............:banghead: all utter nonsense.

Indeed, I don't want to think about someone combining reaching out and touching base in the same sentence... 🤢

Edited by cuthound
Spillung
  • Horror 1

45 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

You have my vote!

Cheers Alan, I think I may have a few too many warnings to be considered... :) appreciated tho! and Hi, Long time! Hope you are all well! 

12 minutes ago, Wanted said:

Cheers Alan, I think I may have a few too many warnings to be considered... :) appreciated tho! and Hi, Long time! Hope you are all well! 

Poacher turned game keeper?

12 minutes ago, buccaneer66 said:

We can run a few ideas up the flagpole for you

Lets get all our ducks in a row first...

Edited by M_JG

On 27/03/2023 at 14:38, Tracy D'arth said:

Does a fireproof suit and helmet come with the job?

I would love to be a mod,    again,      but my direct attitude would be misunderstood. I remember the '60s well, Lambretta Li 150.

I can relate to that. - Many many moons ago, my English teacher once told me "you're too literal!". What I write often seems quite direct/blunt even when it's not intended to be. 🙃 I did run a poll re allowing the use of Gifs which can be great for expressing tone and sentiment but that idea did not go down very well, so it never came to fruition. 

That aside, it doesn't necessarily need to hold you back from putting yourself forward. :)

On 27/03/2023 at 15:04, M_JG said:

Just my 2 cents worth.

Thanks for the suggestion, that is a good idea. I guess I created this topic as to give everyone a fair chance but each method has its pros and cons. Perhaps we can do both! Dan is quite busy outside of CWDF at present but I will put that idea to him, sounds like it's something we've done before. 

3 hours ago, 1st ade said:

I was vaguely tempted with applying - I'm on the site at least once a day, although a (relatively) infrequent poster.

The main reason I didn't apply is that my Brother, @magpie patrick is a Mod and (I think) does an excellent job. I don't wish to undermine his considerable efforts by being accused, "you're only supporting him because he's your brother" [trying hard to get all apostrophes in the right place...]

If you're still keen on the idea, feel free to put yourself forward. :)

--

Just to add as well, all applications will be shared with Dan & the team. Any questions or suggestions, do let us know :) 

• Greenie 1