Narrowboat lift out

narrowboatmike

Featured Posts

Hello all,

We are presently moored in Newbury on the Kennet and Avon and need

our 57 ft narrowboat lifting onto road transport. Aldermaston marina only 

do up to 17 tons and if I'm not mistaken ours may be around  17 ton or more. 

Has anyone any knowledge of who can provide this service.

thanks,

Mike

16 minutes ago, narrowboatmike said:

Hello all,

We are presently moored in Newbury on the Kennet and Avon and need

our 57 ft narrowboat lifting onto road transport. Aldermaston marina only 

do up to 17 tons and if I'm not mistaken ours may be around  17 ton or more. 

Has anyone any knowledge of who can provide this service.

thanks,

Mike

Have you tried googling for crane hire, Kennet and Avon Canal? You may find some advice in the search facility on here. I presume that Aldermaston Marina cannot point you in the right direction for a suitable contractor.

Howard

Edited by howardang
  • Greenie 1

Surely one of the yards in Newbury has a crane!

If not then I'd say the nearest is Thames and Kennet Marina at Reading.

1 hour ago, Martin Nicholas said:

Great Bedwyn Wharf. No idea who runs it, I'm afraid.

Slightly old information.

There's no crane at Bedwyn Wharf. You'd need to bring your own! 

Even then, its usually rammed full of cars so would need closing a day or three before the crane and lorry arrives.

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, howardang said:

Have you tried googling for crane hire, Kennet and Avon Canal? You may find some advice in the search facility on here. I presume that Aldermaston Marina cannot point you in the right direction for a suitable contractor.

Howard

Willdo thanks. Aldermaston can do up to 17 ton but our may be over. They did advise the Thames and Kennet marina. 

1 hour ago, Mike Tee said:

Ask for advice from whoever is moving your boat - they are in the business of boat moving and will probably know all the cranes in the area.

Thanks will try that.

On 25/03/2023 at 15:46, howardang said:

Howard

Thanks Howard, Aldermaston pointed us to the Thames and Kennet who have a 'boat lift cradle'.

I've just got to ring round and get a price for road transport.

It isn't actually Thames and Kennet who run the travel hoist but it is on the same lake. 

From the DBA website recently:

"The Caversham Lakes Boat Lift, beside Thames & Kennet Marina in Reading, has a new operator - Plymouth Marine Centre (01752 407070). This is the only boat lift on the non-tidal Thames that can lift boats weighing more than 23 tons. There were rumours flying around that the EA was going to sell the boat lift & it's yard, but happily that is now not the case. (Mike Butcher retired just before Christmas)"

----

Good that it will continue. 

You can also ask Bushnell's at Wargrave. The have a heavy duty travel hoist (35 Ton I think it is) and can handle road transport but would need to check about the length as they say over 15m subject to quotation. 

http://www.bushnells.co.uk/index.php/en/marina-services/boat-lifting

• Greenie 1

You could also ask Better Boating which is in Reading 5 minutes up from the K&A entrance. I'm not convinced they can get an artic in there but they have a very big crane and it might be doable. Worth asking I think. 

• Greenie 1

54 minutes ago, magnetman said:

You could also ask Better Boating which is in Reading 5 minutes up from the K&A entrance. I'm not convinced they can get an artic in there but they have a very big crane and it might be doable. Worth asking I think. 

I had a 58ft NB shell delivered there and launched by the unfeasibly small-looking crane they had there in about 1982! 

• Greenie 1

6 hours ago, magnetman said:

It isn't actually Thames and Kennet who run the travel hoist but it is on the same lake. 

From the DBA website recently:

"The Caversham Lakes Boat Lift, beside Thames & Kennet Marina in Reading, has a new operator - Plymouth Marine Centre (01752 407070). This is the only boat lift on the non-tidal Thames that can lift boats weighing more than 23 tons. There were rumours flying around that the EA was going to sell the boat lift & it's yard, but happily that is now not the case. (Mike Butcher retired just before Christmas)"

----

Good that it will continue. 

You can also ask Bushnell's at Wargrave. The have a heavy duty travel hoist (35 Ton I think it is) and can handle road transport but would need to check about the length as they say over 15m subject to quotation. 

http://www.bushnells.co.uk/index.php/en/marina-services/boat-lifting

Thanks, just awaiting a quote from plymouth marina owners of boat hoist.

Our 57fter was lifted out for survey and blacking at Better Boating by the previous owners, specs say she displaced 19.23 tonnes at launch, so adding all the stowed junk as well i don’t think it’ll be a problem.

if you can get the transport sorted there it seems a good bet.

• Greenie 1

On 27/03/2023 at 13:33, Hudds Lad said:

Our 57fter was lifted out for survey and blacking at Better Boating by the previous owners, specs say she displaced 19.23 tonnes at launch, so adding all the stowed junk as well i don’t think it’ll be a problem.

if you can get the transport sorted there it seems a good bet.

Thankyou for you're suggestion.