Several boats set to be removed from Bridgwater & Taunton Canal

Paul C

Featured Posts

I suspect (I'm only guessing, as we all are) that the lease was offered again, but with an enormous price hike and/or more conditions than previously, such that CRT made the business decision to not renew it. It might have been due to a Council reorganisation, or new/changing staff taking a different approach to it, or correcting previous inconsistencies, or complaints made by locals (which might/might not have been anything to do with what a boater did or didn't do etc). We just don't know, and will never know because there's commercial confidentiality, especially with a prospective lease which was never taken on.

Its true to say, on the canals, there's some weird leasing - sub-leasing arrangements out there, which are just a quirk of a 200 year old system which has made it into the 21st century. So maybe its was technically possible for CRT to renew but it would have been worse for all boaters.

• Greenie 1

15 hours ago, enigmatic said:

. Although the article is based on quotes from members of the public and bafflingly suggesting they're being moved to a marina already on the canal, so that may not be gospel truth either.

The boats would need to be moved to the marina for the CRT to lift them onto road transport and take them to secure storage. 

Presumably the owners can't get anyone to do this but the CRT can move them under S8 powers. 

I think that is what "are being moved to the marina" means in this context. 

I would hazard a guess that if this is what happens they may be taken to Greenwalls Farm Dodleston. 

An advantage of the wide boats is they have some value so an expensive lift and road transport is not too financially straining for the CRT

This is what they do. It is nothing new. The two L&L boats were road transported there and they are even bigger than a normal wide bean.

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, magnetman said:

The boats would need to be moved to the marina for the CRT to lift them onto road transport and take them to secure storage. 

Presumably the owners can't get anyone to do this but the CRT can move them under S8 powers. 

I would hazard a guess that if this is what happens they may be taken to Greenwalls Farm Dodleston. 

An advantage of the wide boats is they have some value so an expensive lift and road transport is not too financially straining for the CRT

This is what they do. It is nothing new. The two L&L boats were road transported there and they are even bigger than a normal wide bean.

I think I would take a chance and remove the boat from a farmer's field as others have suggested 

It depends how big the boats are. I would have thought people with valuable boats would have left already but if not and they have large canal boats how would you get it out using a field? Crawler crane hire? Seems a bit unlikely to be feasible. 

1 minute ago, Paul C said:

Why do you think a farmer wouldn't charge the going rate determined by market forces, for removing a boat over his land?

Better than losing your boat altogether as plenty have found out in the past! CRT will make it the most expensive experience in your life 

1 minute ago, magnetman said:

It depends how big the boats are. I would have thought people with valuable boats would have left already but if not and they have large canal boats how would you get it out using a field? Crawler crane hire? Seems a bit unlikely to be feasible. 

It seems to me, it would definitely compact the land, and possibly tear any grass to shreds too. And unless  they had a particularly big telehandler or crane of their own, would need to hire in equipment. I can't see why any farmer would do it unless they also ran moorings as a diversification business, and had properly prepared roads (able to take the weight of the crane and truck etc) right next to the canal. Eg Golden Nook can lift a boat out of the Shoppie only because the facilities have been built to do this safely, and they can justify it based on the volume of trade which comes their way.

1 minute ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Let C&RT take it out and 'sieze it' then pay the charges and you get it back (sans the lift out problems & costs)

They'll probably send a bill for about ten grand. 

I think it was £7k or something for the famous boat previously enjoyed by Tony Dunkley. Something like that anyway. 

• Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Let C&RT take it out and 'sieze it' then pay the charges and you get it back (sans the lift out problems & costs)

Just now, magnetman said:

They'll probably send a bill for about ten grand. 

I think it was £7k or something for the famous boat previously enjoyed by Tony Dunkley. Something like that anyway. 

A widebeam would be substantially more, if all owners clubbed together it could be a relatively cheap job, one crane hire and multiple low loaders 

6 hours ago, magnetman said:

Broad bean?

• Greenie 1

48 minutes ago, TGweeder said:

Interesting reading all the speculation, 

Unfortunately the article in the Bridgwater and Taunton Mercury is very misleading and the "unnamed man" is a disgruntled boat owner who has caused nothing but trouble for himself through his own behaviour, Also not an original bw docks boat owner... Thought he could buy a boat on the B&T and freeload from the situation, 

1. The reality of the situation is. 

CRT gave up 28 marina's the same year as the bw docks, Somerset County Council were the only council to insist on all the boats having to leave (not crt's choice) 

2. CRT worked with the boaters as yes some lived there had job's and families so lifting out and causing upheaval leaving there home was something crt recognised and helped by allowing the boats to move out onto the 14 miles of waterway, 

3. As some on here have stated you can't meet Cc requirements moving over 20 miles a year as it obviously isn't that long a waterway, there were also no suitable identified mooring locations for the particular size of boats in question. 

4. the docks future at that point was uncertain, potential leveling up funds for refurbishment but no timescale or guarantee so crt gave the boaters an agreement to bide by and it was reviewed every 6 months. 

5. The time came where the town’s fund was secured and a date set for refurbishment was place to be the summer of 2025.

6. Once crt had this information they (last year) spoke with the boaters and indicated if the boats didn't have home moorings by January of this year they would have to be removed from the b&t. 

7. Three locations were identified for moorings (pretty much where the boats had found homes over the past two years and local businesses approached with offers to lease and manage the locations, 

8 (here's your new paper misinformation) all the original boat owners who left the docks have identified locations there is some finalising to be done with 4 but heading in the right direction. 

One original boat sadly the owner passed away and the family are removing the boat to be sold. 

Two of the original boats but not original owners are being removed, 

And a third that just showed up on the system thinking they could be clever and play the system these 3 boats received eviction notices, 

Two of the three have done nothing but try to play the system claiming squatting rights cause fights and upsetting the local areas,ect, the 3rd was recently sold and the new owner is lifting it for a refit. 

So 10 people loosing there homes/boats? Not true. 

There has been nothing but support for the boaters from crt and the local bridgwater town council, yes some difficult pills to swallow at times loosing the facilities at the docks for example (the county council again insisting they had to be closed) and life adjustments to make but everyone is still local to there families and job's.

The Bridgwater mercury didn't fact check before publication. 

Cheers for setting out the truth of the matter, I hope it all goes to plan and the trouble maker is removed along with anybody else who is rocking the boat

• Greenie 2

1 hour ago, TGweeder said:

Unfortunately the article in the Bridgwater and Taunton Mercury is very misleading and the "unnamed man" is a disgruntled boat owner who has caused nothing but trouble for himself through his own behaviour, Also not an original bw docks boat owner... Thought he could buy a boat on the B&T and freeload from the situation, 

1. The reality of the situation is. <snip>

Thank you so much for posting and illuminating the real situation. Have a greenie. 

CRT always seem to me to bend over backwards to help boaters in difficult situations, and your detailed post seems to confirm they've done exactly this in this situation. Such a shame the odd boater here and there abuses their helpfulness mercilessly. Same story again and again. 

I really find it hard to understand why so many boaters hate CRT with such a passion when CRT are so cooperative and helpful when the chips are down.

• Greenie 3

2 hours ago, TGweeder said:

1. The reality of the situation is. 

CRT gave up 28 marina's the same year as the bw docks, Somerset County Council were the only council to insist on all the boats having to leave (not crt's choice) 

2. CRT worked with the boaters as yes some lived there had job's and families so lifting out and causing upheaval leaving there home was something crt recognised and helped by allowing the boats to move out onto the 14 miles of waterway, 

3. As some on here have stated you can't meet Cc requirements moving over 20 miles a year as it obviously isn't that long a waterway, there were also no suitable identified mooring locations for the particular size of boats in question. 

4. the docks future at that point was uncertain, potential leveling up funds for refurbishment but no timescale or guarantee so crt gave the boaters an agreement to bide by and it was reviewed every 6 months. 

5. The time came where the town’s fund was secured and a date set for refurbishment was place to be the summer of 2025.

6. Once crt had this information they (last year) spoke with the boaters and indicated if the boats didn't have home moorings by January of this year they would have to be removed from the b&t. 

7. Three locations were identified for moorings (pretty much where the boats had found homes over the past two years and local businesses approached with offers to lease and manage the locations, 

8 (here's your new paper misinformation) all the original boat owners who left the docks have identified locations there is some finalising to be done with 4 but heading in the right direction. 

One original boat sadly the owner passed away and the family are removing the boat to be sold. 

Two of the original boats but not original owners are being removed, 

And a third that just showed up on the system thinking they could be clever and play the system these 3 boats received eviction notices, 

Two of the three have done nothing but try to play the system claiming squatting rights cause fights and upsetting the local areas,ect, the 3rd was recently sold and the new owner is lifting it for a refit. 

So 10 people loosing there homes/boats? Not true. 

There has been nothing but support for the boaters from crt and the local bridgwater town council, yes some difficult pills to swallow at times loosing the facilities at the docks for example (the county council again insisting they had to be closed) and life adjustments to make but everyone is still local to there families and job's.

The Bridgwater mercury didn't fact check before publication. 

I have no direct knowledge of the situation, but this sounds a much more credible position than that suggested in the article. With CRT forced to give up the dock and its moorings they were between a rock and a hard place with regard to 'their' moorers. They could have just pointed out to the moorers at the time that there is no security of tenure with a boat mooring, no alternative permanent mooring on the canal and insufficient length for CCing, and that the boaters would therefore have to remove their boats immediately. Instead they have given them a breathing space and helped to find alternative moorings for most. Which is a lot more helpful than the County Council seem to have been.

• Greenie 1

Would a local council be allowed to turn a blind eye to planning permission requirements? 

I know the CRT does this all the time but they are a navigation authority not a housing authority. 

At the end of the day it appears that the marina there was being used residentially and according to the list of moorings it was not a residential mooring. 

Note the lack of the letter R. 

IMG_20230326_113238.jpg.8c687f56ff1e5d57ae02dc6b31ec35e3.jpg

(google search "whatdotheyknow bw directly managed moorings")

There is a .pdf of moorings from 2012. Yes this was a number of yars ago but seems unlikely the status would have changed. 

Edited by magnetman

Would a local council be allowed to turn a blind eye to planning permission rewuirements? 

I know the CRT does this all the time but they are a navigation authority not a housing authority. 

At the end of the day it appears that the marina there was being used residentially and according to the list of moorings it was not a residential mooring. 

Note the lack of the letter R. 

IMG_20230326_113238.jpg.8c687f56ff1e5d57ae02dc6b31ec35e3.jpg

The docks redevelopment has residential as part of the 4.2 mil planning, 

The town council are actually pretty good considering its a council lol. 

They will obviously be looking for a return on there investment and as we know residential moorings are worth more money, 40/60 on the moorings split residential leasure but I can't remember what way round it is. 

The relatively recent moorings development at Brentford Island (above the gauging locks) has residential and leisure moorings. Apparently if you try and live on the leisure moorings you get reported by the people on the residential moorings who are paying more. 

I imagine the moorings will be much more expensive but how are they going to get boats in if the lock doesn't work? Its expensive to transport heavy boats.

Maybe one option would be to put houseboats in and rent them out. 

2 minutes ago, magnetman said:

The relatively recent moorings development at Brentford Island (above the gauging locks) has residential and leisure moorings. Apparently if you try and live on the leisure moorings you get reported by the people on the residential moorings who are paying more. 

I imagine the moorings will be much more expensive but how are they going to get boats in if the lock doesn't work? Its expensive to transport heavy boats.

Maybe one option would be to put houseboats in and rent them out. 

There is a cranage area, 

So getting boats in isn't too big a deal, 

If you wanted to navigate the canal then 50ft is about it due to the lock sizes. 

They did a pricing exercise to reinstate the lock onto the river but it just isn't viable as due to the tidal situation the lock would have to be managed and pilot used to bring the boats in. Expense versus usage. 

The Canal also supplies drinking water so any salt/saline contamination would cause lots of problems as you can imagine. 

5 grand a year bring your own boat ? 

Interesting one. It didn't seem all that full before but this could be partly because it wasn't residential. 

It is a tricky thing to deal with. Maybe best left empty and put some air pumps in to keep the water clean.

No swimming. 

5 grand a year bring your own boat ? 

Interesting one. It didn't seem all that full before but this could be partly because it wasn't residential. 

It is a tricky thing to deal with. Maybe best left empty and put some air pumps in to keep the water clean.

No swimming. 

Wasn't managed or advertised very well either. 

3 hours ago, TGweeder said:

Thank you for the update, and glad things are looking better than the original article implied!

I know the canal well having boated the full length many times, and interesting to hear the latest developments. I assume the boaters facilities are being reinstated at the docks during the redevelopment? Are there still facilities at the YMCA?

It's nice to see the occasional boat in unexpected places when I come back 'home' to visit the area - have to get our day boat out on the canal again!