Several boats set to be removed from Bridgwater & Taunton Canal

Paul C

Featured Posts

It seems funny timing that a 21 year lease was awarded to BW immediately before the transfer order bringing the CRT into existence. 

Is 21 years normal for this sort of thing? 

Maybe it is. 

13 hours ago, dmr said:

I suspect it happens all the time, but if one day a boat is in the canal and the next day its on the land at the side of the canal I reckon that even CRT could put 2 and 2 together and conclude that it had been lifted out without permission 😀

Sorry - I need permission to lift my own boat out? (to clarify - I know I need permission from the landowner to actually lift; I get that I need permission for a large load on a lorry on the highway but do I need CRT permission to reach out over their water and lift a vessel vertically from it?

Probably yes given the navigation authority very often own the land immediately beside the water on both sides. 

What would happen if the crane slipped into the water ? who would be responsible for dealing with this ?

3 minutes ago, 1st ade said:

Sorry - I need permission to lift my own boat out? (to clarify - I know I need permission from the landowner to actually lift; I get that I need permission for a large load on a lorry on the highway but do I need CRT permission to reach out over their water and lift a vessel vertically from it?

Yes, I have read in some rules and regulations somewhere that CRT permission is required to lift a boat. This makes sense, even if the boat is lifted onto offside land and not over CRT land it will be lifted over CRT water and so is a potential hazzard to other boaters and the canal infrastructure if not done safely and correctly. I suspect it is also in effect a short term stoppage.

13 hours ago, matty40s said:

Well it's not exactly a long distance, but I am sure a regime of moving more than the minimum 1km every 14 days should make this just as compliant as most of the 30 or so boats now permanent on the Weedon pound.

Firepool lock to Bridgewater basin

Total distance is 14 miles, 2½ furlongs and 6 locks . There are 5 moveable bridges.

This is made up of 14 miles, 2 furlongs of broad canals; ½ furlongs of small rivers; 6 broad locks.

This will take 6 hours and 38 minutes. For initial calculation purposes (before adjusting for such things as overnight stops) this is taken as 1 day of 6 hours and 38 minutes

I would think if the boats couldn't move because of the canal being full of rubbish, is another reason CRT are at fault! As you say that distance would meet the expectations of the board 

13 minutes ago, dmr said:

Yes, I have read in some rules and regulations somewhere that CRT permission is required to lift a boat.

Covered by Byelaw 50, albeit in rather obscure and archaic language:

"No person, unless authorised by the Board so to do, shall operate or interfere with any lock, lockgate, sluice, by-pass, dam, weir, bridge or any other work connected with affecting or forming part of any canal or with any locomotive, vehicle, vessel, crane, jigger, hoist, capstan or other machinery or working appliance upon any canal or except in case of emergency with any fire fighting or life saving apparatus or any rope, tarpaulin, chain or
other equipment of the Board."

Or more practically:

Detailed Information - Boat Lifting & other crane or lifting operations

Last Updated: 21 March 2017

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/media/original/4489.pdf

Seems like charging a "Bridgwater and Taunton licence fee" at around the cost of the evacuated moorings for the special privilege of year round towpath mooring on the Bridgwater and Taunton canal would have been a smarter move for the CRT than telling people to spend money on someone else's crane or else, and then spending money on legal actions to evict them...

Unless they're playing the long game of having no obligation to maintain it as navigable because there aren't any boats there

• Greenie 1

30 minutes ago, dmr said:

Yes, I have read in some rules and regulations somewhere that CRT permission is required to lift a boat. This makes sense, even if the boat is lifted onto offside land and not over CRT land it will be lifted over CRT water and so is a potential hazzard to other boaters and the canal infrastructure if not done safely and correctly. I suspect it is also in effect a short term stoppage.

"I stand corrected"

"Your honour, I was asked to move the boat, I'm now being charged with moving it without permission?"

(although, as a Parish Councillor, I should expect nothing less...)

17 minutes ago, enigmatic said:

Seems like charging a "Bridgwater and Taunton licence fee" at around the cost of the evacuated moorings for the special privilege of year round towpath mooring on the Bridgwater and Taunton canal would have been a smarter move for the CRT than telling people to spend money on someone else's crane or else, and then spending money on legal actions to evict them...

Unless they're playing the long game of having no obligation to maintain it as navigable because there aren't any boats there

oops  whats going on here...I pressed the quote button and it posted without my words.......

This is probably a good idea, but its a roving mooring permit and the last time CRT tried this it was defeated by the NBTA. CRT need an act of parliment to get out of the stranglehold of the current legislation, and if the government won't give them the much needed grant they are unlikely to give them time in parliment.

The waterways are under attack from all directions, including boaters, and CRT are just a not very good piggy in the middle.

Edited by dmr

2 minutes ago, enigmatic said:

C&RT would be better off if there were no boats anywhere.

• Greenie 2

1 hour ago, magnetman said:

It seems funny timing that a 21 year lease was awarded to BW immediately before the transfer order bringing the CRT into existence. 

Is 21 years normal for this sort of thing? 

Maybe it is. 

The transfer to C&RT took place in 2012.

Lets say that the BW Lease took place 'just before' in 2011.

21 years would take us to 2032. 

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, magnetman said:

What would happen if the crane slipped into the water ? who would be responsible for dealing with this ?

CRT enforcement team. "You cant park there"

9 minutes ago, MartynG said:

That's what Mooseums are for innit...

4 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

The transfer to C&RT took place in 2012.

Lets say that the BW Lease took place 'just before' in 2011.

21 years would take us to 2032. 

Oops !

36 minutes ago, enigmatic said:

What about planning permission? I don't think the CRT is in a position to be able to allow people to live on boats on the towpath without planning permission. Yes the CRT do turn a blind eye but the council might not necessarily do the same thing. 

15 minutes ago, MartynG said:

No Boats Then, Anywhere.

There must be an acronym for this sort of thing. 

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, magnetman said:

What about planning permission? I don't think the CRT is in a position to be able to allow people to live on boats on the towpath without planning permission. Yes the CRT do turn a blind eye but the council might not necessarily do the same thing. 

They're "continuous cruising" (even if they don't move very much), and have "satisfied the Board" that this limited amount of movement is a continuous journey by paying them extra cash.

Edited by enigmatic

3 minutes ago, enigmatic said:

They're "continuous cruising" (even if they don't move very much), and have "satisfied the Board" that this limited amount of movement is a continuous journey by paying them extra cash.

They haven't - only in your mind

49 minutes ago, enigmatic said:

Doesn't sound very smart to me. It squeaks of "precedent" which could/would be leveraged by piss-takers.

12 minutes ago, enigmatic said:

Thats an interesting one. If a boat is CC'ing but the canal is so short that the boat is always in the same council area then could that council make an argument for council tax?

I find myself wondering if the NBTA are taking an interest in this, or if they don't give a toss as it isn't the western K&A or London. 

Oh, an idea. I wonder they and all their members could be persuaded to go and fill up the B&T with their boats and start a campaign to get 14 miles recognised as a legitimate 'range' to be CMing over....

31 minutes ago, enigmatic said:

I was referring to people using leisure moorings. I don't think one can be a CCer and also be paying the CRT for a mooring..

2 hours ago, enigmatic said:

It's a 'Remainder Waterway' so CRT don't and never have had a duty to maintain it for navigation whether there are boats on it or not.

1 hour ago, MtB said:

I find myself wondering if the NBTA are taking an interest in this, or if they don't give a toss as it isn't the western K&A or London. 

Oh, an idea. I wonder they and all their members could be persuaded to go and fill up the B&T with their boats and start a campaign to get 14 miles recognised as a legitimate 'range' to be CMing over....

It didn't work on the G&S and ended up with boaters having a restricted licece and then (I think) Licence revocation.

Mr and Mrs D are liveaboard boaters, based in Gloucester on the Gloucester and Sharpness Canal (G&S). As they do not have a home mooring they are subject to the Trust’s continuous cruising requirements. The Trust was not satisfied with the boat’s cruising pattern and decided only to allow them, on renewal of the licence, to have a restricted six month licence. In making their complaint, Mr and Mrs D said that the Trust restriction did not take into account the fact that the G&S is only 16 miles long, and that to cruise further meant taking their boat onto the River Severn, which they regarded as potentially hazardous.

The Trust’s evidence showed that the majority of the cruising had been within a 15 km range, although there were two periods when the boat was sighted outside this range, which were at the end of April 2016 and in the middle of June 2016. The Trust said that the 15km cruising range did not meet the requirement at the time which was that the cruising range should be not less than 15-20km over the period of the licence. While it accepted that there two periods when this range was exceeded, it did not meet the requirement that the stated range should be met or exceeded “over the period of the licence”.

As to whether allowances should be made for boaters on the G&S because of the geographic limitations, the Trust said that while it did accept that there were some difficulties in cruising away from the canal, it did not accept that the difficulties were of such a nature that it was prepared to reduce the maximum cruising range. That is a policy matter for the Trust which I cannot influence.

The Trust’s key point was that no matter how frequently a boat moved, it could not remain on the G&S for the licence period and be compliant. It said that compliance could be achieved only if the boat left the G&S. It added that in this case the time spent away from the G&S was not sufficient to achieve compliance.

1 hour ago, Lady C said:

Surely not if they don't live on the boat.  CC-ing and residential are not necessarily the same.

There are a few boats proper CC'ing that are not residential, but I suspect we could count them on one hand, or maybe a couple of hands and a foot.