Water tank outlet size and supplier pipe diameter

TandC

Featured Posts

New water tank going in the bow.    Approximately 30 feet/9m for the supply pipe to run from the tank to the water pump and wotnot toward the stern.

Just trying to specify the outlet size on the tank to allow connection to the supply line.

I was going to go with 1/2" BSP outlet on the tank - allowing for fitment of a ball-valve stop-cock to isolate at the tank when required - then onto the supply pipe of standard 15mm Hep2O or Speedfit etc running down to the pump, accumulator etc. 

The water system will be sustaining a calorifier and then kitchen sink and bathroom sink/shower.  

That has proved adequate on my previous boat but before I hit send on my tank diagram for Jay Wolfe to fabricate I thought I would check perceived wisdom....   

If I was running a pump inlet ‘suction’ pipe for 9m I would use 22mm plastic pipe as I think 15mm would reduce the flow somewhat.  
As to the tank outlet I doubt if 3/4 bsp would be any better than 1/2”, so would go with 1/2”bsp

Edited by Chewbacka

Agree with Chewie about pipe size, though I expect 1/2 would work, but  I would go for a 3/4 BSP tank outlet.  No sense in putting a flow restriction into the system at the very start and  3/4 BSP bore is closer to the pipe inside diameter than 1/2in.

Cost difference will be negligible.

N

18 hours ago, TandC said:

What I like about the 22mm supply is that it's much quicker to realise your plumbing was hopeless... !

Okay - maybe I shall up it to 3/4 and 22mm 

Completely unnecessary but whatever rocks your boat.