Canal boat owner slams people littering the water as they spot ‘dead animals’

Alan de Enfield

Featured Posts

10 minutes ago, blackrose said:

Anyway, most litter is littered by members of the public who then like to blame the plastics industry, food manufacturers, the council or CRT.

There is an argument for everyone to just drop all of the packaging litter in order that a bigger conversation can be had about things like single use plastics. 

Its all very well binning them and making some people incredibly rich but is this really how things should be done? 

It is very convenient for those who make enormous amounts of money from these things to blame litter louts when there is actually a far bigger problem. 

Edited by magnetman

2 hours ago, Goliath said:

..what? How they get around that one?

weren’t it Sharon and her drunken mother who put him in the ground

Couldn't say who did what but it was the way he left the series after he had "come back from the dead" i.e. the shooting and fall into the canal were said to be his way of getting away from those who wanted to kill him.

19 minutes ago, Jerra said:

Couldn't say who did what but it was the way he left the series after he had "come back from the dead" i.e. the shooting and fall into the canal were said to be his way of getting away from those who wanted to kill him.

and is this before or after he (the actor not character) exposed himself on the internet ?  😂

Edited by Goliath

1 hour ago, magnetman said:

There is an argument for everyone to just drop all of the packaging litter in order that a bigger conversation can be had about things like single use plastics. 

Its all very well binning them and making some people incredibly rich but is this really how things should be done? 

It is very convenient for those who make enormous amounts of money from these things to blame litter louts when there is actually a far bigger problem. 

What is that argument exactly? What's wrong with making money? Most people do it in whatever industry they work in? I work in the food packaging industry (as a lowly employee not someone who makes vast amounts of money) and there's so much pubic misunderstanding about the use of packaging and plastics. 

Everyone thinks they're an expert when it comes to packaging especially those who've never studied the subject and have little knowledge, but most (like the views above) are confused and misguided. Often it's the same people who complain about packaging who would be back at the supermarket demanding a refund if their products don't reach them in perfect condition!

The environmental benefits of plastics in terms of lightweight materials and reduction of food waste are seldom mentioned and the alternatives like paper generally have a greater carbon footprint and environmental impact. 

When it comes to litter, there's only one group of people to blame for litter. It's not the packaging industry, it's not the food manufacturing industry and it's not local authorities. It's the people who dispose of their packaging inappropriately!

Edited by blackrose
  • Greenie 3

8 minutes ago, blackrose said:

It's the people who dispose of their packaging inappropriately!

Not everyone has a stove to burn it in

I hate over sized packaging 

Porridge boxes for instance 

Over sized to make it look like you’re getting more

Bloody swizzle

and waste of card. 

1 minute ago, Jerra said:

I didn't know he had.

Yea, I’m sure it was him

I’ll google it

14 minutes ago, blackrose said:

The environmental benefits of plastics in terms of lightweight materials and reduction of food waste are seldom mentioned and the alternatives like paper generally have a greater carbon footprint and environmental impact. 

I obviously bow to your superior knowledge on this but I am struggling to work out why single use plastics have come in for so much criticism if they are actually a wonder product. 

Could it be that in fact they are not a wonder product but the vested interests involved in the production are heavily influencing the story and attempting to promote the line that they are wonder products. 

Why does a cucumber have to be wrapped in plastic in order for it to be presented for sale in a supermarket? 

There is something wrong with this. 

1 hour ago, blackrose said:

That's correct.

The trouble with plastic being the way it degrades very slowly  into small but potentially harmful particles and gets into the food chain.

Food waste is another red herring.

In this country the food production and importation amounts to significantly more than we need. This will result in waste. Everyone knows that massive amounts of food is dumped. This is not news.

One of the great things with food products is they are of biological origin in that if you reject the product it will degrade quite quickly.

Wrapping things in plastic might seem clever but what do you do with the plastic? The plastic can make the product last longer but if there is already a surplus why do you want it to last longer? All you are doing is providing profits and creating food waste and packaging waste.

Obviously starving people would rather have the food but the economics of transporting it to them is not viable.

Wrapping foods up in plastic is the wrong plan in a state where food is plentiful.

24 minutes ago, magnetman said:

Food waste is another red herring.

In this country the food production and importation amounts to significantly more than we need. This will result in waste. Everyone knows that massive amounts of food is dumped. This is not news.

One of the great things with food products is they are of biological origin in that if you reject the product it will degrade quite quickly.

Wrapping things in plastic might seem clever but what do you do with the plastic? The plastic can make the product last longer but if there is already a surplus why do you want it to last longer? All you are doing is providing profits and creating food waste and packaging waste.

Obviously starving people would rather have the food but the economics of transporting it to them is not viable.

Wrapping foods up in plastic is the wrong plan in a state where food is plentiful.

I find myself fully agreeing with you, unnecessarily wrapping stuff up in plastic is now becoming almost obsessive. When our local Tesco was selling fresh fish (they've stopped now, apparently no demand:unsure:) the girl on the fish counter would studious wrap both of the pieces of fish than I had chosen into two plastic bags (double bagged) and then when going through the checkout, the checkout operator would then ask "Do you want those in another plastic bag?" (NO). What this is all about is profits for the supermarkets in that by packaging everything up they get to sell the crap along with the good stuff. I will always try to buy everything loose, apples,potatoes,carrots,etc.etc. because you can pick out the decent stuff, which obviously leaves the all the damaged stuff (I'm talking damaged, not just odd shaped) on the shelves for the supermarket to dispose of. 

Why the country has gone down the road of everyone wanting to buy their water in plastic bottles is simply bizarre, it is the same stuff that comes out of the tap, merely packaged in a fancy way. It would be understandable if the stuff coming, out of the taps was non-potable, but it is all of drinking water standard FFS.

21 minutes ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

Why the country has gone down the road of everyone wanting to buy their water in plastic bottles is simply bizarre, it is the same stuff that comes out of the tap, merely packaged in a fancy way. It would be understandable if the stuff coming, out of the taps was non-potable, but it is all of drinking water standard FFS.

And best of all, plastic bottled water costs more than petrol. Probably not quite as much as whisky.

24 minutes ago, George and Dragon said:

And best of all, plastic bottled water costs more than petrol. Probably not quite as much as whisky.

I don't know where you buy your petrol but I have just googled Sainsbury's bottled water and can't find any at more than £1:00 per litre.   Petrol per Litre varies locally between £1.45.9 and £1.48.9

Part of the problem seens to be (EC-inspired ?) hygene regulations. Some years ago I heard a radio programme that included an item about  a fish shop that for decades had been sending  fish (dried or smoked by a traditional process) to customers by post in unsealed  wooden boxes with no problems about shelf life.  After they were obliged to wrap them in plastic, they found that the fish soon went off. They eventually found that, in order to stop using plastic and revert to their original method of shipping, they would need to register themselves as a heritage industry using traditional methods,  which they did. 

I have noticed that, recently, many of the electronics items I have bought  have been packed using crumpled brown paper or preformed  papier machè supports rather than expanded polystyrene. On the other hand, it's been years since I have seen chocolate bars wrapped in aluminium foil inside a paper sleeve, they are virtually all sealed in plastic now.  I don't know if this is to comply with hygene regulations or whether it's simply cheaper to use plastic. 

Edited by Ronaldo47
typos

9 hours ago, Ronaldo47 said:

Part of the problem seens to be (EC-inspired ?) hygene regulations. Some years ago I heard a radio programme that included an item about  a fish shop that for decades had been sending  fish (dried or smoked by a traditional process) to customers by post in unsealed  wooden boxes with no problems about shelf life.  After they were obliged to wrap them in plastic, they found that the fish soon went off. They eventually found that, in order to stop using plastic and revert to their original method of shipping, they would need to register themselves as a heritage industry using traditional methods,  which they did. 

On the other hand, it's been years since I have seen chocolate bars wrapped in aluminium foil inside a paper sleeve, they are virtually all sealed in plastic now.  I don't know if this is to comply with hygene regulations or whether it's simply cheaper to use plastic. 

Referring to Kit Kat of course, it's a shame because the gentle unwrapping of the twin biscuit bars , snap the paper band then unzip the foil, was part of the experience. Having to tear the new plastic with one's teeth, then munching it,  crumpling the wrapper, which is unlikely to be recycled in my experience.

It's a metaphor for this generation.

Edited by LadyG
  • Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, LadyG said:

It's a metaphor for this generation.

I don’t think you can solely blame “this” generation, they are after all working with the tools they’ve been given. It’s not “this” generation holding the purse strings at the companies plumping for plastic, it’s yours/ours.

10 hours ago, George and Dragon said:

Where i live petrol is 1.35 euro a litre, bottled water is 22 cents for 500 mls.

12 hours ago, George and Dragon said:

Ah that often repeated but incorrect 'fact'.  RAC website says the average litre of unleaded petrol is £146.63.  Tesco website has a litre bottle of Evian for £0.95.

11 minutes ago, IanM said:

Ah that often repeated but incorrect 'fact'.  RAC website says the average litre of unleaded petrol is £146.63.  Tesco website has a litre bottle of Evian for £0.95.

I'm sure petrol is good deal less than £146.63 a litre around here.

4 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Are you sure ?

Have you never typed anything in a hurry? 🤣

Still not as good as when I corrected someone's grammar and spelt "grammar" incorrectly!

17 hours ago, Jerra said:

I don't know where you buy your petrol but I have just googled Sainsbury's bottled water and can't find any at more than £1:00 per litre.   Petrol per Litre varies locally between £1.45.9 and £1.48.9

I was thinking of the varieties sold in vending machines (£1/500ml), not the marginally less exorbitant supermarket stuff.

• Greenie 1

In the original topic title more detail is needed about the dead animals. 

There are a lot of dead birds around due to the avian flu thing but if there are also a lot of dead mammals in the cut someone might be doing something bad/good like taking cats and throwing them in. 

Its probably just normal amounts of dead animals for a terrible suburb type area.