Canal boat owner slams people littering the water as they spot ‘dead animals’

Alan de Enfield

Featured Posts

Acanal boat owner has slammed others for littering in London's canals. They shared a photo of their view from their boat, and it wasn't a pretty sight.

Speaking on Reddit, they wrote: "I live on a canal boat currently moored at Alperton. The amount of plastic that I see along the canal and in general in this area in particular is disgraceful.

"In the past week, I have seen three dead animas, nestled amongst a huge churn of plant matter and plastic waste. This makes me so sad."

In the accompanying photo, a section of the canal was visible. It was covered in a thin film of filth, with plastic debris floating around too.

People were quick to slam littering in the comments. One said: "Terrible to see. Keep pushing council and environmental agency. Ultimately it is the local council that is supposed to clean up, but if there is dead fish or animals you can report here."

Another wrote: "Alperton and the road up towards Wembley is the only place in London where I have seen signs reminding people not to spit on the streets. It’s a huge problem there and it’s so f*****g disgusting."

r/london - I live on a canal boat currently moored at Alperton. The amount of plastic that I see along the canal and in general in this area in particular is disgraceful. In the past week, I have seen 3 dead animas, nestled amongst a huge churn of plant matter and plastic waste. This makes me so …

40 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

In the accompanying photo, a section of the canal was visible. It was covered in a thin film of filth

All canals are covered in a thin film of filth, in my experience. 

This looks like the annual waking up of the canal bed detritus, happens every Spring for a couple of days as the temperature and sun rise.

Everything on the bottom rises to the surface,  as the bubbles rise then disappears back to the depths until next year. It happened here middle of last week, but it does always look worse in London.

Nothing unusual about animal corpses in a canal, they fall in and then can’t get out.

Some folk just think cute and fuzzy creatures live cute and fuzzy lives and only die because of people.

Hence one of my local Facebook groups a while back organising a rota for people to go and feed the Canada goose that was “trapped” on the canal and couldnt get out to feed itself 🙄

3 hours ago, matty40s said:

This looks like the annual waking up of the canal bed detritus, happens every Spring for a couple of days as the temperature and sun rise.

Everything on the bottom rises to the surface,  as the bubbles rise then disappears back to the depths until next year. It happened here middle of last week, but it does always look worse in London.

Especially on certain corners where the flow, wind, shape etc cause a lot to collect in one short stretch. 

Quite a few tall buildings recently in Alperton. This increases the wind speed due to the wind sheer effect. 

Small animals can easily get blown in the cut as well as rubbish which may not have been thrown there. 

Alperton is a 3rd world slum area anyway. 

Nothing new under the sun. 

It seems odd that someone would choose to moor in such a horrible dump then moan about it being a horrible dump. 

Great thing with a boat is you can go away if you don't like it. 

7 minutes ago, magnetman said:

Quite a few tall buildings recently in Alperton. This increases the wind speed due to the wind sheer effect. 

Small animals can easily get blown in the cut as well as rubbish which may not have been thrown there. 

It seems odd that someone would choose to moor in such a horrible dump then moan about it being a horrible dump. 

Great thing with a boat is you can go away if you don't like it. 

Lots of expensive flats being built there though -- and they've even got a stranded narrowboat to look at... 😉

Edited by IanD

35 minutes ago, magnetman said:

Famous though ain’t it:

“The towpath of the Grand Union Canal in Alperton has been used for various scenes in the BBC TV soap EastEnders. It was first used in an episode which aired on 3 October 1985, when the character Den Watts(played by Leslie Grantham) meets Michelle Fowler (played by Susan Tully) and it is revealed Den is the father of Michelle's baby. It was used again on numerous occasions, most famously on 23 February 1989, when Den Watts was shot before falling into the canal and supposedly dying. Den returned to the canal with daughter Sharon Watts on 3 October 2003, when he returned to Albert Square alive.” Wikipedia 

sadly I missed the episode of Den’s return,

I’d always thought he’d been buried in concrete behind the bar 🤷‍♀️

Edited by Goliath

3 minutes ago, Goliath said:

Famous though ain’t it:

“The towpath of the Grand Union Canal in Alperton has been used for various scenes in the BBC TV soap EastEnders. It was first used in an episode which aired on 3 October 1985, when the character Den Watts(played by Leslie Grantham) meets Michelle Fowler (played by Susan Tully) and it is revealed Den is the father of Michelle's baby. It was used again on numerous occasions, most famously on 23 February 1989, when Den Watts was shot before falling into the canal and supposedly dying. Den returned to the canal with daughter Sharon Watts on 3 October 2003, when he returned to Albert Square alive.” Wikipedia 

sadly I missed the episode of Den’s return,

I’d always thought he’d been buried in concrete behind the bar 🤷‍♀️

He was but that was his get out after the return.  MRs J watches the series.

I wonder how the canal boat owner "slammed" people. It sounds like something quite physical like shutting a door violently. 

I'm not sure that one can use text to slam anyone at all. I think it is a fraud. 

The correct words would be "canal boat owner moans about..."

If I did a light rant about cyclists on towpaths would I be "slamming cyclists"? No I wouldn't. I would simply be moaning about a predictable negative associated with living on a boat. 

moaning not slamming. 

1 hour ago, cuthound said:

Interesting mooring technique, slack lines at 90 degrees to the mooring ring.

He'll be complaining about speeding ducks rocking his boat next!  :)

It's impossible not to be square on to mooring rings. I swear the little blighters see you coming and shuffle up.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, magnetman said:

I wonder how the canal boat owner "slammed" people. It sounds like something quite physical like shutting a door violently. 

I'm not sure that one can use text to slam anyone at all. I think it is a fraud. 

If I did a light rant about cyclists on towpaths would I be "slamming cyclists"? No I wouldn't. I would simply be moaning about a predictable negative associated with living on a boat. 

moaning not slamming. 

maybe slumming is more appropriate?

anyway If you click and follow the link there’s a little more to it.

The person who commented seems to do their bit in clearing up and wants to get more involved.

Usual simpleton headline shyte making something out of nothing

52 minutes ago, magnetman said:

moaning not slamming. 

Its modern trash tabloid speak for moaning, people are always getting “slammed” or “blasted” in these sort of click-baity articles

"Ultimately it is the local council that's supposed to clean up"

Really? That attitude seems typical of modern people who want to blame organisations rather than the public. Ourselves.

Ultimately, surely it's up to local residents not to litter the area? When I lived in Brentford I used to see full black bags of rubbish that had been chucked into the canal/River Brent further upstream and taking your boat between Hanwell and Uxbridge was a joke there was so much rubbish in it. Not all of it is thrown directly into the canal of course, often it's dropped in the area and finds its way into a watercourse. 

Anyway, most litter is littered by members of the public who then like to blame the plastics industry, food manufacturers, the council or CRT.

• Greenie 2