Charges for 3rd Party events

Featured Posts

2 hours ago, Ronaldo47 said:

The notice does explicitly say 

"The charge will be levied on event applications received from 1 June 2023."

So the trigger point is apparently the date when the application is received, not the date when the event takes place. So on a literal reading of the notice, you should be able to book events for any time in the future and would not have to pay the charge,  as long as you get your applications in before 1st June. 

Sorry, not true.  The email I (and no doubt mny others) received  from the Events Team announcing the charges says "Please note we are not accepting applications for events taking place in 2024 until after 1 June 2023."  It doesn't say you can't apply for events from 2025 onward, but I think I can anticipate what the reply might be!

15 minutes ago, Cheshire cat said:

At least as a not for profit organisation there is no charge per head. If you are a charity it's £1 per head for each expected attendee.

A floating market in Birmingham might expect thousands of attendees. Will it count as an event?

That would surely have to be for ticketed events rather than simple footfall.

Just been having a read of the info on CaRT

From the rate card :-

Fee per head is calculated on the maximum event capacity not the attendance. There is a 50% discount if the Trust's land is not where most of the event will take place.

From the FAQs:-

image.jpeg.6675c6540dd8ae6787cc0ffde4adeed2.jpeg

Rate card 

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/refresh/media/original/47755-rate-card.pdf

FAQs

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/refresh/media/original/47756-tpe-faqs.pdf

springy

4 hours ago, Arthur Marshall said:

That would surely have to be for ticketed events rather than simple footfall.

That's not what it says on the links provided by Springy. At the moment I think the idea is reasonable but potentially the execution leaves a lot to be desired.

2 hours ago, Cheshire cat said:

That's not what it says on the links provided by Springy. At the moment I think the idea is reasonable but potentially the execution leaves a lot to be desired.

This

Don't see how you apply a charging schedule like that to something like Oxford Canal Festival. They do take up moorings (about 3 of them!) so it doesn't seem unreasonable for the CRT to levy some sort of charge, but I don't see how it works out at 75p per person the non CRT public park can accommodate in front of the main stage for a free event that makes money off donations and burgers. Bet half of them don't even look at the working boat!

To be fair, phrases like "these rates may be in addition to the per head fee or instead of" do sound like there will be quite a lot of discretion and discussion going on for different types of event, and they just wrote something down so they couldn't be accused of making it up as they went along.

8 hours ago, Cheshire cat said:

A floating market in Birmingham might expect thousands of attendees. Will it count as an event?

Not if a dozen traders boats just happen to all moor at the same place, nobody organises anything, it was just a lucky coincidence.