Charges for 3rd Party events

Featured Posts

Not sure what this will actually affect - anyone have an idea:

"

THIRD-PARTY EVENTS ON CANAL & RIVER TRUST NETWORK
The Canal & River Trust will be introducing a charge for third-party events taking place across its estate to help cover the charity’s costs of processing and facilitating them. The charge will be levied on event applications received from 1 June 2023.
A £95 +VAT administration fee (the cost to the Trust of processing applications) will be charged for all events, apart from small free community events with fewer than 25 people attending.
There will be further charges for large-scale and commercial events. This will help with the additional cost of hosting the events as well as providing a contribution to the much wider task of maintaining the core fabric of the historic waterways.
Visits by school groups and educational bodies such as Scouts and Brownies will continue to be facilitated through separate Trust channels and without charge.
Julie Sharman, chief operating officer at the Canal & River Trust, comments: “The popularity of our historic canal network means it hosts many organisations using it for a range of events – often for promotional or commercial interest.
“So that vital funds aren’t diverted away from our core purpose of protecting and preserving the network, the introduction of a charge will help offset the costs of processing and facilitating third-party events. This includes covering the cost of reviewing risk assessments, event management plans and insurances, plus considerations specific to the operation of our canals, their heritage and environment.
“Canals are vital blue green spaces in our towns and cities – precious places still navigated and operated as they were hundreds of years ago. But they need constant care and protection from the Trust, and it’s only right that events, which require extra resources and can place stress on the network, should contribute to the cost of keeping the nation’s canal heritage alive for today and for future generations to enjoy.”
The introduction of charges for applications received from 1 June 2023 brings the Trust in line with similar not-for-profit landowners. Applications can be made in the usual way here."

I'm a little bit surprised they haven't always done this, I know working as a 3rd party contractor is slightly different but they always were very very keen to charge for absolutely everything when one of my sites crossed one of their properties, it was also much more expensive than the £95 admin charge mentioned above.

• Greenie 1

10 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I bet all of these music & boat 'festivals' will be affected.

Example 

Middlewich Folk And Boat Festival 2023 (FAB) - Dates, Reviews and Info (canalriverhub.co.uk)

I did wonder about that one  though it seems to precious little to do with either folk or boats this year. Mostly secondrate cover and tribute bands.

12 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

I did wonder about that one  though it seems to precious little to do with either folk or boats this year. Mostly secondrate cover and tribute bands.

They did lose eighty grand last year, so probably had their hands slapped and their big ideas wound back a long way!

1 hour ago, Arthur Marshall said:

"

Example

Dragon boat racing  at Newark . It is commercially run but also a charity fundraiser. So C&RT do deserve to receive a fee/donation if they have not done  so already.

1 hour ago, TheBiscuits said:

They did lose eighty grand last year, so probably had their hands slapped and their big ideas wound back a long way!

I played there a couple of times when it was low key and folky. Last year they tried to turn it into a rock restival with a few token folk stars, this year it's rather lost it's identity, I think. There's a folk fringe,  though apparently last year's main venue has just failed a risk assessment...

2 hours ago, Arthur Marshall said:

"

THIRD-PARTY EVENTS ON CANAL & RIVER TRUST NETWORK
The Canal & River Trust will be introducing a charge for third-party events taking place across its estate to help cover the charity’s costs of processing and facilitating them. The charge will be levied on event applications received from 1 June 2023.
A £95 +VAT administration fee (the cost to the Trust of processing applications) will be charged for all events, apart from small free community events with fewer than 25 people attending.
There will be further charges for large-scale and commercial events. <snip>

My Reading of this :-

Everyone - any organised canalside gathering of more than 25 people, so all of the boat gatherings big (at more cost) or small, all of the societies gatherings, just about anyone they can get money from. Thinking locally - bumble hole, stourbridge, tipton, brownhills, titford, gatherings. Maybe even "organised cruises" such as BCNS Explorer or even the Challenge.

Edited to add Cropredy, and that would definitely class as large scale and commercial !

springy

Edited by springy
add cropredy

2 minutes ago, springy said:

Everyone - any organised canalside gathering of more than 25 people, so all of the boat gatherings big (at more cost) or small, all of the societies gatherings, just about anyone they can get money from. Thinking locally - bumble hole, stourbridge, tipton, brownhills, titford, gatherings. Maybe even "organised cruises" such as BCNS Explorer or even the Challenge.

springy

Well yes.  Such events have always supposed to have been notified and registered with CRT, it's just that now they will charge for the time and effort spent processing such applications.

1 hour ago, springy said:

Edited to add Cropredy, and that would definitely class as large scale and commercial !

springy

Could see the end of some of those events which would be a shame as they introduce local people to their local canal.

1 hour ago, springy said:

springy

Cropredy Festival is not held on CRT land

Edited by Tim Lewis

4 hours ago, Arthur Marshall said:

I dream of being good enough to play in a second rate cover or tribute band....

1 hour ago, MtB said:

I dream of being good enough to play in a second rate cover or tribute band....

I'm sure Arthur can do coaching if you can drag yourself up to the Macc. He might have a dilemma as to whether he should become a capitalist though 🙂

Edited by Cheshire cat

5 hours ago, tree monkey said:

it was also much more expensive than the £95 admin charge mentioned above.

I assume £95+ VAT is the charge for events organised by voluntary groups, such as canal society boat rallies and the like, whereas higher charges will be applied for commercial events. 

8 hours ago, Rob-M said:

I wonder whether boater markets will need to pay.

It isn't just the admin fee, there is a scale of other charges as well for events based on the number of people involved.

Apparently they will have to.

Roving traders are talking to cart about it already 

4 minutes ago, Loddon said:

Apparently they will have to.

Roving traders are talking to cart about it already 

I believe roving traders already pay a premium licence, so asking them to pay extra to actually trade directly from their boats seems unfair.