Pramhood / cratch cover material options

TandC

Featured Posts

Morning all, another day another query...

What's the experience on best material for pramhood/cratch covers to be made from?    

Currently ours are made from marine PV coated acrylic canvas.  It has a more fabric feel. 

Others I have seen are made from a more shiny PVC style material - think lorry side tarpaulin feel.  

While the acrylic canvas was nice to work (we made them ourselves) it feels that the open weave of the fabric makes them more prone to staining.  It also seemed to stretch over time too leading to some "bagginess" (although that is probably from our sewing approach).    We are moored under two Ash trees so we get more leaf drop, bird droppings etc than a more open mooring.    Because of this - for our new boat (10ft wide, not narrow) - I was thinking of having a more PVC material, thinking it'd be easier to keep clean for longevity. 

However, one canopy manufacturer I emailed has said that they work with the acrylic canvas which they find less likely to "crack" over time.   

What are the views? 

7 minutes ago, Tonka said:

There are different weights of Acrylic Canvas. Kinver covers use one of the weights on widebeam covers but I cannot remember which. Best check their website

Kinver are on my list to call to ask for their advice too. 

18 minutes ago, Lady C said:

In my experience, PVC is easier to clean.

That was my initial thought. 

7 minutes ago, Loddon said:

PVC will shrink over time.

I won't have another one.

Besides it looks crap.

Great - (well not great) - but good to have practical experience feedback, thanks.    If going with the canvas means more regular cleaning, but it's going to last longer on what is a pricey outlay, then so be it...

Interestingly, my experience is the other way round.  PVC tends to stretch slightly but canvas shrinks.  It must depend on the actual version of each material.  I have two canvas covers - one for each end of the boat but only the rear one shrank significantly.  I also have had several PVC cratch covers on the other boat.

My PVC hood was about 20years old when replaced but it had shrunk.

My present acrylic canvas hood is 8 years old and shows no sign of deterioration at all.

I treat it with Patio Magic to remove any green* and pressure wash it to remove any dirt. 

* Done off the boat away from the water.

4 minutes ago, philjw said:

My covers are plastic covered canvas and over a 12 year period they have shrunk so much that they are inches away from fitting.  The plastic element has also become brittle and stiff.  Next set will be just plastic.

Same here with dinghy covers. One on a 16 ft boat shrank 18” in length and went brittle. BUT I have a feeling that some PVC formulations  shrinks more than others and it would be worth investigating with some reputable manufacturers.   I assume you meant to say “just canvas”

40 minutes ago, Peugeot 106 said:
40 minutes ago, Peugeot 106 said:

“I assume you meant to say "just canvas”

I actually meant just plastic thinking it is the canvas element which has shrunk.  I can't say if the canvas is actually cotton duck or something man made e.g. acrylic but I thought cotton.  Do people have pure canvas covers?

On 21/03/2023 at 10:00, philjw said:

My covers are plastic covered canvas and over a 12 year period they have shrunk so much that they are inches away from fitting.  The plastic element has also become brittle and stiff.  Next set will be just plastic.

So has my 15 year old acrylic catch cover. The sides only just reach the gunnel, whereas 5 years ago they overlapped by a few inches.

I think I am swayed by the views that the PVC coated fabrics are more prone to cracking.  My own experience with the PU-coated acrylic is that it hasn't shrunk, but is just not as easy to clean.  In some places it stretched - but that is probably due to the lack of adequate support and tensioning allowing water to pool (my poor design when we made it).

1 minute ago, IanD said:

Hmm, I tried that earlier and it didn't work -- let's try again... @M_JG

Very occasionally it doesnt bring up the choice of possible matching members for some unkown reason and it just inserts the name in an un clickable format.

Just now, M_JG said:

Very occasionally it doesnt bring up the choice of possible matching members for some unkown reason and it just inserts the name in an un clickable format.

That's what happened last time I tried putting an @ in front, so I thought I was doing something wrong...

Hi All

In our experience PVC is best suited to boats moored under trees and with birds in the area.  But that been said on a widebeam we would advise to use Acrylic canvas only due to the weight of the covers.

You are stuck between a rock and a hard place really. If you want to call the office and chat with us then that would be no problem. Unfortunately you wont get me because I am literally about to walk out the door to start my belated honeymoon from 2 years ago... Bloomin COVID. 

See you all in a few weeks ;)

• Greenie 1

4 hours ago, Kinver Canopies said:

Hi All

In our experience PVC is best suited to boats moored under trees and with birds in the area.  But that been said on a widebeam we would advise to use Acrylic canvas only due to the weight of the covers.

You are stuck between a rock and a hard place really. If you want to call the office and chat with us then that would be no problem. Unfortunately you wont get me because I am literally about to walk out the door to start my belated honeymoon from 2 years ago... Bloomin COVID. 

See you all in a few weeks ;)

THanks v. much - and happy moons!  will call the office.   THanks all for the advice

Ours was made by Protective Textiles at Kingston on Thames using a material called Top Gun which has proved to be very good and still like new after 7 years.  Their manufacturing time was particularly quick and reasonably priced. They have a website.

As I said i’m pretty sure it’s a lot to do with the quality of the plastic which explains why some materials are £5 metre and others £30. I’d be ringing round a few manufacturers. I know I did when I bought my last dinghy cover but can’t remember what they said but you definitely see quite a few covers at half mast whereas others seem to keep their shape. I had my tonneau cover made in Weathermax and its kept its shape perfectly in 4 years. It’s also easy to fold and store in a locker but it may not be what you are looking for if you want something a bit heavier. It is not cheap. I saw a similar one and had it copied and am very pleased with it and don’t think I wasted the extra money. Top Gun was also offered as a very good fabric.

i’d be wary of the cheaper materials. You do see Some rubbish covers around.