Knowing when to pump-out before it to late?

David Floyd

Featured Posts

I have spent a little time working on a method of knowing when to pump out. I have looked at a few solutions, all commercial systems seemed very expensive, I even played around with some ultrasonics and a microcontroller.

I now have the simplest and so far cheapest method, I am sure I am not the first to think of this.

https://floydtilla.co.uk/2023/03/19/knowing-when-to-pump-out/

2 minutes ago, Mad Harold said:

A fellow moorer had a pretty foolproof way of knowing when to pump out. 

His boat started listing!

It would list gradually more and more, difficult to quantify accurately. In this respect, dump thru pump out is a better loo system.

5 minutes ago, Mad Harold said:

A fellow moorer had a pretty foolproof way of knowing when to pump out. 

His boat started listing!

I've got an ex-Black Prince hire boat (as OP does), and yep that's our method! It's separated into two tanks, the first to fill being the (mostly) center tank, which then overflows into the starboard-side tank. Once this happens, we notice a slight list developing and we know it's definitely time to pump out - as the list doesn't develop enough to notice until the 2nd tank is becoming full.

15 minutes ago, Chewbacka said:

I fitted a couple of float switches (4” & 1”) which light up an orange and a red led as the tank fills.  Fitted straight after a pump out, wasn’t  my most enjoyable job!!!

Fit a terd swith it goes brown when full. 😁

• Greenie 1

I was worried about the float switches getting messed up by the waste products, have you had any problems with them, I did find a number of ultrasonic solutions, but most did not like metal tanks.

Edited by David Floyd

3 minutes ago, David Floyd said:

I was worried about the float switches getting messed up by the waste products, have you had any problems with them, I did find a number of ultrasonic solutions, but most did not like metal tanks.

I think the macerator chops everything up to a fine enough state to be no problem (fitted about 10 years ago without problems).  Not sure if using posh toilet paper in a dump through would work.

10 years in good enough for most things, do you know which switches you used?

Hi Glenn

4L was what I was quoted by Black Prince in their documentation, but I will see how it goes with a bit of trial and error. Have not found any numbers in the manufactures info, it is very sparse on info.

David

10 minutes ago, David Floyd said:

10 years in good enough for most things, do you know which switches you used?

Hi Glenn

4L was what I was quoted by Black Prince in their documentation, but I will see how it goes with a bit of trial and error. Have not found any numbers in the manufactures info, it is very sparse on info.

David

Just simple stainless switches from eBay 

Edited by Chewbacka

40 minutes ago, David Floyd said:

Have not found any numbers in the manufactures info, it is very sparse on info.

David

Not much to go on then.

If the pumpout fitting is vertical direct from the tank I would consider putting some sort of float with a rod coming up through the lid. 

I suppose it could be a little unclean and displeasing but better than an overfilled tank. 

Something as simple as a piece of 15mm plastic speedfit pipe filled with expanding foam might work as a float. You could get a second lid for the pumpout fitting. Maybe a plastic one and drill it to take the tube which would, if if worked. slide up and down through the lid giving a visual indication of levels. 

Could work if done right. 

4 hours ago, robtheplod said:

Our tank has a sensor on it that wasn't working when we got the boat. It was one of the first jobs to take it out and get all the crystal build up off it... was not as unpleasant as i was expecting...... 😝

Ours has a sensor too. When we first got boat we carried on using the toilet until the light flashed to see how long. Got a bit worried after 2 weeks when nothing had happened, that being how long LeeSan said the tank should last. Didn't flash until after 3 weeks.

Should say we have a vacuum toilet which only uses about 1/3 litre per flush and a second loo, cassette, into which we pee during the day.

Edited by pearley

And for landing planes !

1 hour ago, pearley said:

2 weeks when nothing had happened, that being how long LeeSan said the rank should last. 

Interesting that they give this much detail. 

Is there a scale for exactly how rank it is and for how long? 

On 21/03/2023 at 08:47, pearley said:

Ours has a sensor too. When we first got boat we carried on using the toilet until the light flashed to see how long. Got a bit worried after 2 weeks when nothing had happened, that being how long LeeSan said the tank should last. Didn't flash until after 3 weeks.

Should say we have a vacuum toilet which only uses about 1/3 litre per flush and a second loo, cassette, into which we pee during the day.

When I got my boat I was worried that the bulb in the tank full sensor might blow, so I fitted an MCS gauge as well. This showed that the 'tank full' light came on when the tank was 50% full.

The increased time between pump outs soon saved the cost of the gauge. 9 years later it is still working well (as is the bulb in the original sensor).

• 2 weeks later...

We had a house on Cotchford lane in upper Hartfield 1980-1986. I and my sisters used to play Pooh sticks at the original bridge before Disney got the franchise and threw down a path through the forest and fenced off the woods. 

AA Milne's former house was at the end of our garden. 

His house was rather smaller than ours but in much better shape as ours was coming apart at the seams. 

Edited by magnetman