Which windlass is best?

LadyG

Featured Posts

2 hours ago, Captain Pegg said:

Problem is that unless you go hunting for one the windlass of your choice probably isn’t readily available.

As for never letting it go I don’t think that works for single handing. Perhaps if you use a belt loop but I prefer not to have a windlass about me at all for some operations.

What I usually do is to tie the windlass in a bowline in my long centreline and sling it round my neck, it's a system that works as long as the boat is waiting patiently at the ladder. 

I could contact Shire Cruisers, or just buy a Dunton off eBay. I have two spares, but neither are user friendly.

I'll get my massive long windlass out which has four  options and weighs a  heck of a lot. There is a standard spare as well, but it has a revolving handle.

Edited by LadyG

12 minutes ago, Ray T said:

3 Dunton's on eBay at the moment, not cheap, an incentive not to lose them?

dunton double for sale | eBay

They are no longer made, proper quality, a nice thing to have.

The boat which came along behind me had not picked it up, so I don't know where mine went, some dog walker maybe.

I usually hold on to it, or even better get someone else to put me through!

Edited by LadyG

1 hour ago, LadyG said:

They are no longer made, proper quality, a nice thing to have.

The boat which came along behind me had not picked it up, so I don't know where mine went, some dog walker maybe.

I usually hold on to it, or even better get someone else to put me through!

While I appreciate that a Dunton Double is a nice thing to have I thought you were looking for something which would make working locks easier for you . Will a Dunton Double do that? 

My money is still on a Go Windlass which although a bit more expensive will make working locks so much easier for you. In the hope that if I ever lose mine it will find its way back to me, I have my boat name and mobile number on it with the modern equivalent of Dymo tape.

Edited by haggis
  • Happy 1

1 hour ago, Hudds Lad said:

I have visions of little old Maureen gripping your device and rotating like a catherine wheel at the lockside

Like Gromit in "A Grand Day Out"? 🙂

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Annie cariad said:

Got a selection I dredged up last year £5 each .What is it you actually want 

Too late, I've ordered the Dunton, vanity rules. Thanks anyway. 

I keep a spare, or in this case two spares.

Edited by LadyG

52 minutes ago, haggis said:

While I appreciate that a Dunton Double is a nice thing to have I thought you were looking for something which would make working locks easier for you . Will a Dunton Double do that? 

My money is still on a Go Windlass which although a bit more expensive will make working locks so much easier for you. In the hope that if I ever lose mine it will find its way back to me, I have my boat name and mobile number on it with the modern equivalent of Dymo tape.

They don't fit the square spindles on the hydraulic paddles unfortunately. 

4 minutes ago, Jon57 said:

Surely hydraulics are the one paddle you don't want a long/ratchet/geared windlass because they're very low effort, you want a shortish windlass so as not to wear your shoulder and arm out with the incessant turning... 😉

Also glad to see there seem to be fewer of them nowadays, they were dangerous if you ever got hung up and wanted to drop the paddles in a hurry. DAMHIK... 😞

2 minutes ago, Jon57 said:

Which windlass, which paddles?

:

:

It would be nice to have something easier to use, but I don't often do a lot of locking, so I went for something a bit special, there will be no more made in the future. 

1 minute ago, LadyG said:

Which windlass, which paddles?

:

:

It would be nice to have something easier to use, but I don't often do a lot of locking, so I went for something a bit special, there will be no more made in the future. 

Go windlass 

3 minutes ago, IanD said:

Surely hydraulics are the one paddle you don't want a long/ratchet/geared windlass because they're very low effort, you want a shortish windlass so as not to wear your shoulder and arm out with the incessant turning... 😉

Also glad to see there seem to be fewer of them nowadays, they were dangerous if you ever got hung up and wanted to drop the paddles in a hurry. DAMHIK... 😞

Ah, are these hydraulic paddles as on the C&H, looks like an outsize clockwork casing? I did see some twin pipes running between the mechanism and the paddles.

Edited by LadyG

6 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Ah, are these hydraulic paddles as on the C&H, looks like an outsize clockwork casing? I did see some twin pipes running between the mechanism and the paddles.

Yes, like those -- there used to be a lot more of them, the ones that nearly sank us were on the GU... 😞

Edited by IanD

14 hours ago, LadyG said:

That's exactly my rule whenever I'm locking, but the boat had a mind of its own and decided not to align with the ladder, so I put the windlass down on the grass to sort it out, scrambled on board, retrieved the centreline, and exited with the assistance of some chance passers-by, so I did not have to close the lock gates.....

Being singlehanded most days I generally call it a day after three locks, but they were particularly obdurate.

I think I'll get a belt loop. 

You can make one quite easily from a length of rope.

Simply tie a loop big enough to accept the windlass, but small enough to prevent it slipping through.

Tie the rope ends together with enough slack to go over your shoulder and hang the windlass about hip level over one shoulder to the opposite hip.

I have used a bought leather windlass holster, but it didn't last very long.

• Happy 1

1 hour ago, LadyG said:

Too late, I've ordered the Dunton, vanity rules. Thanks anyway. 

I keep a spare, or in this case two spares.

Don't forget to put something magnetic on the windlass so that you can retrieve it if it goes for a swim 👍

5 minutes ago, magnetman said:

I find the Dunton doubles to light. Do have two of them but not my favourite type. Very popular though to be fair.

And it is possible to break the head clean off them when tackling a particularly hard work paddle.  I've actually witnessed that, which makes me very nervous about applying very significant force to one

• Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

On ebay it says "

Est. delivery Wed, 29 Mar - Sat, 1 AprEstimated delivery Wed, 29 Mar - Sat, 1 Apr
Or free collection in person from Bourton, Dorset"
Just now, alan_fincher said:

And it is possible to break the head clean off them when tackling a particularly hard work paddle.  I've actually witnessed that, which makes me very nervous about applying very significant force to one

I badly bent a Walsh alloy windlass many yars ago (2001) on the K&A and knowing how aluminium can behave it went for a swim. Thatcham.