Which windlass is best?

LadyG

Featured Posts

7 hours ago, Hudds Lad said:

Just seen these whilst browsing google images, anybody used one?

image.jpeg.389980f4f41ec9d269a0d9936445369a.jpeg

I wouldn't use one as a mooring pin!

Twisty bits, sharp bits, sticky out bits that stab you in the back of the neck and pig ugly to boot.

Apart from that, they might work as paperweights...

Looking again at the photo, the sockets seem to have been fabricated from square tubing stock. Most paddle spindles are tapered, giving only a nominal fit.I see potential both for slipping and spindle wear over time. It seems that many modern manufacturers have little experience of using their products. 

• Greenie 1

On 20/03/2023 at 21:18, Alway Swilby said:

We have one of these. It means you always have the long throw with you when you need it.AG 4-Head Dual Purpose Windlass

Fit only for scrap. Detestable junk, should not be allowed as they do not fit on the spindles properly, damage the squares corners. Dangerously poor design.

I throw every one I can find into the deepest hole around. 

• Greenie 2

2 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

I wouldn't use one as a mooring pin!

Twisty bits, sharp bits, sticky out bits that stab you in the back of the neck and pig ugly to boot.

Apart from that, they might work as paperweights...

That’s a lot of repressed anger there, you sure you don’t own one? :D 

I’m intrigued to know if the extending box section bends under load, and the wing nut arrangement seems like a great way to skin your knuckles. Nice anodised blue end caps though.

I’ll have another look for odd ones you can all raise your collective hackles about ;) 

On 20/03/2023 at 13:46, magnetman said:

I find the Dunton doubles to light. Do have two of them but not my favourite type. Very popular though to be fair. 

I would have thought the Dunton double would be ideal for you being aluminium. It must be very annoying when the steel ones are attracted to your body.

• Greenie 1

gallery_1752_117_132915.jpg

This one is a bit of a beast. Looks like a normal windlass and it is the right size socket but more than twice as heavy as a normal one. 

I found it with magnet near where there was once a wharf crane. 

Comparison with ordinary canal key

6 minutes ago, magnetman said:

gallery_1752_117_132915.jpg

This one is a bit of a beast. Looks like a normal windlass and it is the right size socket but more than twice as heavy as a normal one. 

I found it with magnet near where there was once a wharf crane. 

Comparison with ordinary canal key

I have one that looks similar to your top pic, it's on the boat and I'm not so can't post pic.

It looks similar to a normal BCN windlass except they are much lighter section like this 

gallery_1752_117_73282.jpg

And there were cast iron ones available in chandleries from the mid 60s. Curiously I found two brand new ones in a small chandlery just a few yars ago. 

Cast iron hot dip galvanised. 

gallery_1752_117_43803.jpg

No longer a boat owner, I have little need to visit chandleries these days. I’ve followed the windlass thread with interest and occasional revulsion and thought then that I’d look to see what is available from a couple of chandlers. My searches turned up disappointment in droves. The wretched open welded monstrosity was readily available ( I can only endorse Tracy’s comments on that one ) along with double eyed aluminium things which didn’t seem to have a tapered socket. Other than Duntons there doesn’t seem to be anything decent to buy. The only exception I know of is one made by Simon Wain at Brinklow Boat Services, which would be a one off custom made proper job.  A friend acquired one recently and was delighted with it…..I’m guessing it wasn’t cheap but a decent windlass is a joy to use….

• Greenie 2

After many years of boating we have come to rely on three types of windlasses.

For use on the canals its a  Dunton Double

Anglian waterways its a Walsh Alloy one as they have untapered holes and fit the paddles better than a Dunton.

and The ubiquitous Middle Level socketed windlass for the gear that requires it.

We have both long throw and short throw of the Dunton and the Walsh

Different windlass for different paddle gear.

A total of about 8 windlass not including the steel ones in the front locker

Edited by Loddon
  • Greenie 1
  • Love 1

I'm pleased with my Dunton, gave it a polish with a bit of Brasso, boards on red so not had the opportunity to use it, but it's a nice thing.

I also got fenders from singingboater, also eBay, and they are super.

Edited by LadyG