Which windlass is best?

LadyG

Featured Posts

Well, I left my original windlass at a lock yesterday (on the C&H), and it's gone!

So I'd like a Dunton double,  the standard throw looks nicer in the photos on eBay, but would I be better with the longer throw, the Dunton Double Plus?

I don't do many locks, but my hands are a bit sore after yesterday's herculean efforts.

I have never used a Dunton Double windlass but if you find a "normal" windlass  too hard work, have a look at a Go Windlass ratchet windlass. I have one and I find it makes working hard locks much easier. Took me a wee while to get used to it but I wouldn't be without it now . I don't always use the ratchet but it is there if I need it. My favourite before Santa brought me a Go Windlass was a long throw aluminium.one but I found the big circles I had to make made my shoulder sore.

First rule of locking. Never put your windlass down 😀

Edited by haggis

You've possibly left it too late.

There is a combined long-throw short-throw windlass available, its like a long throw windlass but with an extra socket half way along. I've seen loads but can't find a picture on the www so starting to suspect that its a special produce by Shire Cruisers at Sowerby Bridge???

5 minutes ago, dmr said:

There is a combined long-throw short-throw windlass available, its like a long throw windlass but with an extra socket half way along. I've seen loads but can't find a picture on the www so starting to suspect that its a special produce by Shire Cruisers at Sowerby Bridge???

Tapered hole at the very end, tapered and square in the middle? Heavy to carry but a delight to use and fits every lock without knuckle damage.

Shire made them late 90s/early 2000s I think. Not sure if they still do them?

54 minutes ago, haggis said:

First rule of locking. Never put your windlass down 😀

That's exactly my rule whenever I'm locking, but the boat had a mind of its own and decided not to align with the ladder, so I put the windlass down on the grass to sort it out, scrambled on board, retrieved the centreline, and exited with the assistance of some chance passers-by, so I did not have to close the lock gates.....

Being singlehanded most days I generally call it a day after three locks, but they were particularly obdurate.

I think I'll get a belt loop. 

Edited by LadyG
  • Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, Adam said:

Tapered hole at the very end, tapered and square in the middle? Heavy to carry but a delight to use and fits every lock without knuckle damage.

Shire made them late 90s/early 2000s I think. Not sure if they still do them?

I have seen the Shire Cruisers hirers using them so they must still be making them, though have not seen any Shire boats in the last year as the Rochdale was mostly closed..

13 minutes ago, dmr said:

Yes indeed, I saw one today used by a Shire cruiser, interesting concept, but rather ugly. 

8 hours ago, LadyG said:

Yes indeed, I saw one today used by a Shire cruiser, interesting concept, but rather ugly. 

There made that way to match some of the locks on the Rochdale 🤣🤣

8 hours ago, LadyG said:

but rather ugly

strap a broom handle to a good powerful cordless drill stand it on the ground put foot beside it fit a socket the right size to grip the paddle spindle then give it a go. 

Might work? If it doesn't work and you accidentally break your legs don't come running to me to complain.

Problem is that unless you go hunting for one the windlass of your choice probably isn’t readily available.

As for never letting it go I don’t think that works for single handing. Perhaps if you use a belt loop but I prefer not to have a windlass about me at all for some operations.

My favourite windlass is an old hand forged single socket type which tucks in the front of my belt. 

The best way to avoid losing them is to shift the brain to understand that it is an important item not to be dropped. Same goes for keys. Always be 100% aware of it and just don't drop them. That way you never drop them.

It isn't that complicated. You just have to be aware of what you are doing and concentrate more. Keys in hand = do not drop keys. 

Keys in pocket = do not have hole in pocket. 

It maybe best to have a couple. The very long  cast iron ones are good for the C&H as some especially bottom gate paddles are really tough. 

Then a much smaller length one for the paddles on many other locks, a long handle one just scuffs knuckles there. 

Then an intermediate one with a longer handle that does for some of the more stubborn paddles. The very long ones mean you don’t get the through power so you stop and start which is inefficient and more hard work. 

plus the C&H spike plus the funny Fenland one… 

Im not sure about windlass belts as they get in the way of you fall in or fall over. I always put mine on the floor at each lock once I’ve opened the paddle so I guess I’m just used to always picking it up 

54 minutes ago, robtheplod said:

Has anyone made a drill attachment yet?  :)

On the drawing board ATM. Battery belt around waist, Angle cordless with modified head and handle. Dragons den next week. 😜😜😜🤣👍

Just now, Jon57 said:

On the drawing board ATM. Battery belt around waist, Angle cordless with modified head and handle. Dragons den next week. 😜😜😜🤣👍

Need blizzard to do the metal work out of Meccano.👍 

2 minutes ago, magnetman said:

The broom handle stood on the ground with foot beside it looks after the wrist. As long as it doesn't break. 

This is all sounding far too complicated, all you really need is the age-old, tried and tested Spouse™, you don't even need to leave the tiller in most cases

• Greenie 2