Hospital silencer orientation and support

TandC

Featured Posts

What ho.

Trying to plan out the engine bay layout on our shell and would appreciate any pointers on exhaust orientation.

The Beta50 engine routes the exhaust directly aft.   

I would like to fit a hospital silencer from Beta (800mm long, 300mm diameter).   The inlet port on the silencer comes into the side of the silencer "cylinder" and the outlet port is then on the end . 

With a flexible exhaust coupling from the engine, I definitely have room to orientate the silencer so so that it is at 90 degrees to the orientation of the engine.

Option 1:  Ideally the silencer would be placed over towards the hull side - and that would take the inlet out of a direct straight line from the exhaust outlet on the engine.   With the flexible coupling I could create something of an "S" shape, taking the exhaust  into the side port, on the silencer and the outlet then exits through the hull to the port side. 

Option 2:  If that is a problem, the silencer could be placed so that the inlet port on the side is directly in line with the flexible coupling, coming straight out the engine.   Exit out the hull side same as Option1, just a bit longer.  

Option 3: There may be room to orientate the silencer cylinder so it runs lengthways,the same as the engine, and by turning a 90degree corner with the flexible coupling from the engine, into the side port, and then out the stern to the rear.    Although I think that looks a little but tight - it may even mean an "S" shape that comes back on itself.    I may have too look at different silencers than the Beta one - something not as long as 800mm. 

Aside from the sound bouncing off the bank, is there any other reason not to just go with Option 1? -  90 degree orientation, exiting to the port side, but with a bit of a "S"?

Ta

9 minutes ago, TandC said:

What ho.

Trying to plan out the engine bay layout on our shell and would appreciate any pointers on exhaust orientation.

The Beta50 engine routes the exhaust directly aft.   

I would like to fit a hospital silencer from Beta (800mm long, 300mm diameter).   The inlet port on the silencer comes into the side of the silencer "cylinder" and the outlet port is then on the end . 

With a flexible exhaust coupling from the engine, I definitely have room to orientate the silencer so so that it is at 90 degrees to the orientation of the engine.

Option 1:  Ideally the silencer would be placed over towards the hull side - and that would take the inlet out of a direct straight line from the exhaust outlet on the engine.   With the flexible coupling I could create something of an "S" shape, taking the exhaust  into the side port, on the silencer and the outlet then exits through the hull to the port side. 

Option 2:  If that is a problem, the silencer could be placed so that the inlet port on the side is directly in line with the flexible coupling, coming straight out the engine.   Exit out the hull side same as Option1, just a bit longer.  

Option 3: There may be room to orientate the silencer cylinder so it runs lengthways,the same as the engine, and by turning a 90degree corner with the flexible coupling from the engine, into the side port, and then out the stern to the rear.    Although I think that looks a little but tight - it may even mean an "S" shape that comes back on itself.    I may have too look at different silencers than the Beta one - something not as long as 800mm. 

Aside from the sound bouncing off the bank, is there any other reason not to just go with Option 1? -  90 degree orientation, exiting to the port side, but with a bit of a "S"?

Ta

Whatever you do, try to make sure there's enough pipe flexibility between the engine and silencer to stop engine noise/vibration getting into the hull and bypassing the flexible mounts. The "flexible" exhaust pipes are only flexible sideways, end-on they're pretty stiff -- and they don't like bending much (small radius bends) either...

Edited by IanD

THanks Ian.

By leaving enough flex - you mean dont have the flexy bent right to it's extremes i presume, as that would negate the benefit....

I can probably work out the range of movement required reasonably easily, so could go to Midland and have a waggle with some of the various ones in stock... 

Side or rear? Any view?

This is basically the same dimensions, give or take: 

https://www.abcwebchandler.com/products/drive-gear-engines/cooling-and-exhaust/hospital-exhaust-silencer-15bsp

Same type of silencer as I have as far as inlet / outlet orientation is concerned.  Looking at the illustration you have provided (end on) the "inlet" is orientated "East".  It does not have to be that way inclined, (your options seem to suggest keeping the 'East or West' orientation) so consider rotating the inlet to a different "compass point" to provide more flexibility in positioning / ease of mounting of the silencer and, as Ian has pointed out regarding stiffness, it may provide more flexibility with the coupling pipe. Use of elbows or swept bends on either - or both - the engine manifold and silencer will achieve this. 

For what its worth, my hospital silencer is parallel to the engine alignment in order to maximise space in the engine room. 

Also consider where the exhaust fumes will exit the boat hull, astern is better than forward of the steerer!